Corsair Community

Corsair Shows Users How to Set Up RAID-0 Arrays

Yellowbeard

Since Corsair has entered the SSD arena, we have been receiving more Tech Support inquiries about drive related information. A frequent topic is the use of our SSDs in RAID-0 configurations. We posted an article detailing RAID-0 setups here.

RAID-0 Arrays Article

Also please see Raid Configuration and Performance for best stripe size and allocation size.

• 3 weeks later...

as i seen in the pic you picked optimal setting that on some motherboards is 64kb (as it was on the Nvidia and ATI), with SSD should try and pick the larges setting you can (norm 128kb max for onboard raid as thats what you recommend, HW raid can go up to 8mb some times, but the max setting for SSD should never go higher then be 512KB as thats the Page size for SSDs)

and partition setup, it has to be the default 4k you cant install windows if the cluster size is bigger then 4k windows will refuse to install onto it and will refuse to boot if you convert the cluster size after install (this part i have pulled from the Internet but i am sure i have tried in the past to install windows on 8k or bigger cluster size and failed and resize as well), if the Drive is not an boot drive it can be any cluster size you want

• 2 months later...

One helpful and handy trick to bypass the limitation is to create a small partition to house the boot loader.

This is easily done with Win 7, since it pulls the first 100MB as a "System Reserved" partition.

This also works great on RAIDs too.

So, partition your drives like so:

[100MB System Reserved][Remainder of drive]

-Flag the 100MB partition as "active" - this tells the BIOS to look for the bootloader here.

-Format this partition as NTFS, default allocation unit size. (Can skip this if installing Win7)

-Setup the remainder of the drive as you need to, formatting for the allocation unit that you want.

-Enter Windows install

-Point to the partition you want to install

-?????

-Profit!

Converting the drive is an option, but my rule of thumb is whenever you change something in the storage system of a computer, reinstall. I've had too many headaches following HDD swaps that I've just taken the extra time to reinstall everything.

• 2 months later...

I followed your great instructions for my two new X32's and setup a RAID 0 using my onboard Intel ICH raid controller, installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 64-bit, and ran Hdtune and Atto.

Atto reports write speeds in the same range as a single P128, which seems about right, and read speeds in the same range as striped P128's, which also seems spot on. I got the numbers from here: http://www.corsair.com/systembuild/report.aspx?report_id=1084686&sid=7

However some SSD's have the sustained write speed listed on their specs, while these do not. With the raid 0 I was able to get about ~125-150mb/sec sustained read speeds, with a burst of ~220mb/sec. Shouldn't these numbers be higher, especially the burst since its raid? Or is this to be expected?

• 4 weeks later...

I have the exact same issue with Mike. The Atto numbers almost match exactly although I am having slightly smaller write speeds but sustained write for RAID 0 drivers using HDTune is far from satisfying.. 167MB/s average and 127Mb/s burst rate...

I also have a score of only 5.9 on windows experience...

another question: would it be faster in Win 7?

I have two P256

thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

will a raid of ssds really boost pc preformance?

If so might just head over to frys and grab another Corsair Force 60 ssd.

Windows installed just great esp after trying for 2 weeks to get a ocz vertex 2 to be recognized.

So thanks Corsair :)

• 1 month later...

Win7 RAID Tip :sunglasse

If you use Win7 and a RAID array by default the "write-back" cache is disabled. Theres a bug in Win7 that does show the checkmark on the array under policies, But it isnt Enabled. ;):

To enable it Uncheck the tickbox, Click "Ok" at the bottom

Then go back into it Re-Tick the write cache box then click "Ok"

Now its "Truly" Enabled :D:

• 2 months later...
Please report this (with more detail) in the thread mentioned at the top of the forum.

I do not know what you mean by the thread mentioned at the top of the forum but Yellowbeard's hyperlink for RAID-0 Arrays Article

http://www2.corsair.com/systembuild/report.aspx?report_id=1084686

redirects to

http://www2.corsair.com/systembuild/report.aspx

which says "no record found" unless you meant Raid Configuration and Performance which is a locked thread.

When you replied earlier saying that the link was fixed it was fixed to the first page of the article. Pages 2, 3, etc redirected to

http://www2.corsair.com/systembuild/report.aspx

which says "no record found" but now the initial page doesn't work again.

Unless you closed it, there's a big message at the top of the forum which states:

Corsair has a new website! Please comment on it / report any bugs you find here. Also, please report any invalid links you find on the site or the forum.

Either way I've sent an email for it to be corrected.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Since Corsair has entered the SSD arena, we have been receiving more Tech Support inquiries about drive related information. A frequent topic is the use of our SSDs in RAID-0 configurations. We posted an article detailing RAID-0 setups here.

RAID-0 Arrays Article

Also please see Raid Configuration and Performance for best stripe size and allocation size.

I apparently don't have permission to view your guide for raid configuration and performance

Archived