Corsair Community

H100i Platinum temps are high while CPU temps are low

Bmore

As the the title says, the H100i Platinum temp setting is sitting at around 50C even when the computer is idle, but my CPU temps hover around 37C. These temps stay the same when I'm putting my computer under some stress, like gaming, etc. I've updated my software and have no idea what could be causing the issue. Since my iCUE profile is using the H100i temp my fans are constantly running hard. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If the CPU temp is considerably under the coolant temperature (H100i Platinum Temp), then there is reason to be suspicious about the number. Coolant temperature is minimum possible CPU temp. Some of the Platinum coolers were affected by a glitch were the water temp sensor would unintentionally react the changes in the LED state of the pump/fans with the lighting controller affecting the value.

Turn off the LEDs for pump and fans (set them to static black). What happens to the coolant temperature? If it drops 10C in 3 seconds, then the controller is having an effect. It would normally take several minutes for the cooler to remove 5-7C of actual heat.

If the above is true: 1) Contact Corsair Support. There were firmware upgrades and potential replacement options for extreme cases; 2) Go to a fixed speed setting for now. Make a custom curve. Change the setting to Fixed PWM %. Pick something low for the desktop like 30% (~700 rpm) and then pick something tolerable if you are going to be at extended load for gaming/CPU renders etc. 50-60% is likely fine and whatever is comfortable. You don't need to change fan speeds for normal operation. It takes sustained CPU load to raise coolant temperature (and thus baseline CPU temp). You don't need the fans to react the momentary events or shifts in load.

I'll give the LEDs a shot. I have had this problem in the past and I always just assumed it was conflicting software problems, because it would seem to resolve itself after a few iCUE updates, but this time it had me a little concerned.

Contact Support. Some users see a minor difference like a few degrees. If it is bumping you up 15-20C, that makes the fan controller worthless. In the meantime, watch out for full white. Theoretically that is the most lighting current, but other users have reported some unexpected results from different patterns. Edited by c-attack

I must need yet another keyboard for my accuracy. Watch out for full white (255/255/255). This places the greatest current load on the controller and is likely to have to most significant effect. On the other hand, you can probably use color wave with limited impact. You'll have to experiment and see, but I would follow up with Corsair Support. It's not supposed to work this way.