Corsair Community

Help with connection question

knacker40

I have following that I’m looking to use the least amount of stuff to control due to limited space:

10 ql fans

Gpu and cpu block

Pump

I have CP and various rgb hubs for the QLs and the cpu/gpu/pump daisy chain as those are 3pin and the rgb hub for QL are 4 pin

Can some kind soul let me know simplest way to connect the rgb stuff- I have a fan splitter that works fine so have all fans on single channel and pump on channel 6- will set to 4pin when booted

I have made the jump from an Aquaero 6 controller which is epic but can’t get the rgb to work and have the CP which I want to try

WELL THE Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub is connected to one of the LED channels on the Comander pro but that only handles 6 and you would need another RGB fan LED hub for the other 6 which looks like you have BUT then you wouldnt have GPU/CPU/Pump connection.

You can add another Commander Pro and connect them together with USB 2 but in the end you end up with lots of cables

But to just get one working...plug the rgb into the RGB fan led hub and connect that to one of the LED channels on the CP. Now they wont light up until you actually add them in the iQue software using drop down boxes.. Once you do that you should be able to do the cpu/gpu/pump but that leaves 5 fans without RGB so most probeley you will need another CP

cp.png

You just have to add them in and then play around

and remember you have to connect the CP to your motherboard via USB2

Edited by will_s

The QLs are a bit odd now since they come with the Lighting Node Core. The "Core" is the prior Lighting Node Pro software interface combined with the RGB Lighting Hub for actual lighting power into one package. It sounds nice, but the problem is you then need to use USB 2 internal connections to hook it up and those are at something of premium these days.

So you need to split the 10 QL up into 2 groups (5+5, 6+4) or some other logical pairing based on how you want them to sequence. Each "group" will behave as one lighting circuit, running from fan 1 to fan X, before returning to the start. It will not run from LNC 1 then to LNC 2 except for a handful of "Lighting Link effects". This may have some bearing in how you connect the fans to the controller.

However, you first should decide to use the LNC or bypass them and use any existing "RGB Lighting Hubs" in your collection. Those would plug directly into the Commander Pro RGB ports. However, since your already need to use 1 of those RGB ports for the GPU -> CPU -> Pump chain, I am wondering if using both USB ports and the Lighting Node Core is the better way to go.

Perhaps someone else who has some QL fans and Hydro X is in a better position to comment on that.

Does the "Core" have a 3 pin RGB line?? I thought it was just SATA power and USB 2 internal. Watch out on the USB 2 connectors on the C-Pro. They are very large (look like USB 3) and it is really easy to miss on the pins because of this.

The pump, CPU, GPU definitely do have a 3 pin RGB series that daisy chains together. You have an extra lighting channel so you could move one of them to its own channel. The only reason I can think of to do this is if the pump/res is in the back chamber and thus not really a part of the CPU/GPU lighting circuit, thus no reason to have it sit in the 1-2-3 chain. That is really nit-picking though and something easily changeable later.

The Core has the RGB Lighting Hub inside, so it's an either or. For most people, I would say you do the Commander Pro and RGB Hubs (definitely if LNP + hubs). However, you need three lighting channels (5QL + 5QL + Pump/CPU/GPU), so you need to use the LNC or chain another LNP into the C-Pro. That seems silly if the LNC is there. For management issues, I think it is easier to use all the fans on the Core hubs and they will show up in iCUE as their own device LNC 1, LNC 2, or whatever you name them. That is easier than having a portion of your fans on the C-Pro panel, then another on the LNC or LNP.

I thought that the LNP for the fans connected to the CP by USB so I dont need to use the lighting channels for these, leaving both of the channels so I can use one of them for the daisychained stuff or am I missing something which is very likely:D:

OK. With HydroX and a CoPro, you have 3 options.

1) CoPro + 2 Lighting Node Cores: In this case, it's probably easiest to connect the LNC USB into the CoPro's USB headers. HydroX is connected to the CoPro. Each fan is individually controlled via the LNC that they are connected to.

2) CoPro + 2 RGB Fan LED Hubs + Fan Hub Splitter : In this scenario, you'd need to purchase the RGB Fan LED Hubs from corsair.com (9.99) plus buy or make a Fan Hub Splitter. The 2 Fan Hubs would be connected to a single channel on the Commander Pro and they'd be in sync. You'd want them to be 5 on each hub. HydroX would still be on the Commander Pro.

3) CoPro + 1 LNC + 2 RGB Fan Splitters + Lighting Channel => Fan Adapter: This is the most complex scenario. You can put up to 8 QL fans on a single fan hub before you run out of available current. You can do this with 2 RGB Fan Splitters (make or buy). Then, you'd need a Lighting Channel to Fan Adapter that lets you put up to 2 fans directly on a Lighting Channel - again, make or buy. The LNC would be connected to the CoPro's USB channel and HydroX would be on the CoPro. Fans that are on splitters are mirrored.

With option 1, you have everything that you need right now; no additional expense or effort on your part. That'd also be the "official" Corsair answer. Options 2 and 3 require custom or 3rd party cables/adapters/splitters. That's an additional expense and time for the parts to be shipped to you. Option 3 eliminates 1 LNC/Fan Hub though.

For fan PWM control, you'd either need PWM splitters (no more than 2x splitters) or a powered PWM Fan Hub. 10 fan is pushing it on the CoPro but should be OK - I'm running 10 on one of my CoPros right now, in fact.

Sorry if this is further overloading the brain. I know - getting your head around this at the start is tough. That's why we're here. ;-)

Well, I have got the system up and running and it is working like a charm!

The only slight issue I have- apart from needing to sort out the fan curves- is that the Ram RGB is a slightly different shade than the rest of the fans& blocks but have managed to get it as close as possible

Will post some pictures shortly as the build has come out quite well I think

I thank you for the advice on the connections- helped like a charm

Okay,

Now I'm nervous after poking through this thread...

I've got:

6 x addressable LED ML120 fan

2 x addressable LED light strip

1 x XC7 CPU

1 x XG7 GPU

1 x XD5 Pump

can that all go in qty. 1 Commander Pro and qty. 1 of the 6 port RGB hubs..?

Seems like I should daisy chain to the Pump in some way as it supports daisy chain lights

Edited by QuaZar-Kid

In order to run that, you'll probably need to add a lighting node pro or another commander pro. You can plug your fans into one lighting channel with a lighting hub. Then you can either plug your pump into the commander pro or the lighting node pro. I vote commander pro. Then you can plug your strips into the lighting node pro. You can daisy chain your pump, gpu, and cpu. The cpu has to be the last thing in the chain since you can't chain off of it. The pwm lead from the pump and the temp lead have to plug into the commander pro. PWM lead into port 6, and the temp lead into temp port 1. Either way, you are going to have to add something to light up all of that.

Okay,

Now I'm nervous after poking through this thread...

I've got:

6 x addressable LED ML120 fan

2 x addressable LED light strip

1 x XC7 CPU

1 x XG7 GPU

1 x XD5 Pump

can that all go in qty. 1 Commander Pro and qty. 1 of the 6 port RGB hubs..?

Seems like I should daisy chain to the Pump in some way as it supports daisy chain lights

This thread has some more complex issues in play with more fans that 1 controller can handle plus other included hardware unique to the QL series. All you need to do is take 1 of the Lighting Node Pros from your ML multipacks and plug it into the USB 2 connector on the Commander Pro. That will give you 2 more lighting channels. I would put the strips on the LNP.

Ace & C-Attack that was super handy stuff !!!

It just gets a little overwhelming when it's all hanging out of the back of the glorious Obsidian 500D Case - wires like pasta...

as my girlfriend said

"It looks like your case has it's pants down"

:bigeyes:

Happy to note I have two Lighting Nodes from my ML Fan Packs

Edited by QuaZar-Kid