Corsair Community

Black Screening / Video Card output switching off from iCUE

WhiskeyOmega

I tried iCue again after a year of giving up and using Utility Engine 2.24.35 instead. Result was a lockup after about 12 hours. I would have this same problem pre iCue when I used Corsair Link.

Is there a way to disable the Link portion of iCue? I would be happy with my old Utility Engine, but it doesn't support the Glaive Pro, which I bought last night.

MB: msi x79a-gd45 plus

CPU: 4820k

I had used a i7-3770K on a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H for the past...8 or so years. Used Corsair Link (AX760i) and CUE (K70 RGB) until they were phased out by iCUE; so I've been using iCUE since Prime Day. Never had these issues, ignoring other ones.

On Black Friday I bought an ASRock X570 Taichi and Ryzen 7 3800X. Everything in the system tests good--hours of AIDA, Prime95, Memtest, and more without problems. But whenever I utilize my GPU I get black screens that come and go at a very rapid rapid pace, like a rave party. If I was epileptic then this would definitely trigger it. It can be games, benchmarks, or just sitting on the desktop and it will happen. If I ignore it, my GPU will just stop outputting any signal--until I move my mouse or press a button. Hell, the easiest way to reproduce this is in Red Dead Redemption 2 going through all the setting menus, scene changes, etc.

What fixes it? The moment I kill off iCUE, so just adding another comment to the pile. I'll go ahead and submit a ticket to support, but considering how this problem was originally handled a year+ ago, I'm seriously reconsidering putting Corsair on my **** list and staying away.

I had used a i7-3770K on a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H for the past...8 or so years. Used Corsair Link (AX760i) and CUE (K70 RGB) until they were phased out by iCUE; so I've been using iCUE since Prime Day. Never had these issues, ignoring other ones.

On Black Friday I bought an ASRock X570 Taichi and Ryzen 7 3800X. Everything in the system tests good--hours of AIDA, Prime95, Memtest, and more without problems. But whenever I utilize my GPU I get black screens that come and go at a very rapid rapid pace, like a rave party. If I was epileptic then this would definitely trigger it. It can be games, benchmarks, or just sitting on the desktop and it will happen. If I ignore it, my GPU will just stop outputting any signal--until I move my mouse or press a button. Hell, the easiest way to reproduce this is in Red Dead Redemption 2 going through all the setting menus, scene changes, etc.

What fixes it? The moment I kill off iCUE, so just adding another comment to the pile. I'll go ahead and submit a ticket to support, but considering how this problem was originally handled a year+ ago, I'm seriously reconsidering putting Corsair on my **** list and staying away.

I think thats a freesync problem.Deactivate it and it should work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

i also get this crashes and have a idea for Corsair to fix it. Why do you not change to another SDK like HWinfo instead of HwMonitors SDK. The HWinfo SDK is more recent, reads out the temperatures more exactly and also get new updates like support for the new Ryzen 3rd Gen was available 1 day after launch. Can you think about it or do an beta version with this sdk pls :D

I really want to use ICue for my Virtuoso but i cant use it in this state

Curious...

I had the same issue with the BSOD while installing all versions of iCue I could find.

I fixed my issue with the software after I noticed that my CORSAIR POWER SUPPLY uses the CORSAIR DIGITAL LINK to connect to 1 of my mobo's USB headers. I disconnected this and tried re-installing again ... IT NOW WORKS !!

Could this be whats causing the headache for a few of you at least ? Hope it helps ;)

I just purchased the K70 Mk2 low profile speed and I'm having the issue where I plugged it in and everything was working fine, didn't download iCue. Went to shut off my PC for the night and the next morning when I started it up, it was just black screening. I had to force shut off my PC and unplug the keyboard, and it would boot up perfectly fine. Plugged in keyboard, everything fine? Tried installed iCue and updating firmware, didn't resolve the problem, uninstalled it tried, no results. Any reason why the keyboard would be causing this problem? I had a K65 and it never did this

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Ok so I mean I have been having random black screen issues for AGES. I stumbled on this today and tried the renaming fix. Seems to be absolutely fine now...... BUT lacking functions it was sold to me as having that I used......

Not happy at all! I've read as much as I could bare of this forum. I feel for you all, I really do. It really does suck and for so long. So I have an idea......... I scanned through and read all of corsairs replies on the matter as well as many posts. I'd say at this point 3/4/5 chipsets are CLEARLY having issues. Corsair I must admit until I read some of the later posts it looked ok. James sounds like he lives behind excuses to me tho? You sold the software with your hardware and didn't disclaim certain motherboards that have known faults? Yes or no? I HAVE WASTED HOURS trying to diagnose this myself. DPC diagnostics, memory diagnostics, drivers, re installs of OS multiple times etc etc etc to find this!!!!

I have a corsair SSD, a 540 air case, an ax1600i, a h110iGT and was considering a commander pro for my 3xAF140s, 2xSP140s, and 2xSP120s....... key word WAS. Quite useless without the system temps etc. So anyway that's I dont know, 900, 1000 ish GBP in corsair is it? You tell me? To find it's actually my systems biggest issue lmao........ GREAT! Add what everyone else has spent on corsair too in this forum alone and theres 5 of every setup having problems setup in your office. BUT your now telling me you "cant" or wont get a few of the setups having faults to fix the issues and address it?........ and are basically trying to excuse the matter? NOT COOL. From a very large and successful brand that clearly have the capital to make this investment and solve it. So...... NO! I think you should have gotten all the systems that have issues to address the issues. But this time yesterday, last year and sorted it basically....

So heres what I think we should do guys. On all corsair YouTube reviews, your product reviews, on Amazon etc. Basically places of high internet traffic that are related to corsair products. Simply post a link to this forum....... I dont think us writing our thoughts on here/helping by sending crash dumps etc is really doing much, if anything otherwise. If we can generate traffic here, my bet is that will all change quite swiftly. If anybody knows any internet reviewers and can get them to give this attention etc..... Do so etc.

Edited by soundguy_sean
Grammar, more detail

• 3 weeks later...

I am not getting black screening but seems like a related error:

Corsair.Service.DisplayAdapter.exe - Application Error

The exception uninown software exception (0xe0434352) occurred in the application at location 0x0000000074E54192.

It happens either at shutdown or restart, literally at the moment the screen turns off (I had to record a video and go frame by frame to barely catch it).

Any ideas how to solve? does anyone has it too?

Fresh W10 64bit install, latest iCUE v. 3.27.68, using a M65 pro elite.

• 2 months later...

Wow, this is a long thread. I *think* I may have the same or similar issue people are talking about but it would be great if someone could confirm that?

All monitors go black, case fans spin up. But Windows is still working - I can confirm Windows is there as I remote desktoped into the PC and could see that Windows was running with all the programs. The graphics card is not showing on the task manager or in HWMonitor and device manager shows an ! mark.

In iCue, it says "No devices connected".

iCue Software: 3.23.66

The system specs are below:

Windows 10 (Version 1909)

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X (No overclock, just whatever it comes with out of the box)

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMOHAWK MAX (BIOS Version: 7C02v35 / 3.50)

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Ram: Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14 Vengeance LPX (4x8GB Sticks, Total: 32GB Ram)

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super

Edited by Zangoose

After learning a large amount about computers and the IT industry during my time in the military, I recently built my first custom gaming computer. I did a modest amount of research, and (believing it to still be adequate for my needs) I ended up building a X79 computer due to the wide availability of cheap used parts. I found a great deal ($200) from a local PC builder who wanted to get rid of extra components: ASUS P9X79-LE mobo with i7-4930K processor and 32GB of DDR3 HyperX 2400MHZ RAM. I originally bought a GTX 1050 TI for the GPU, but quickly upgraded to a eVGA GTX 1660 TI OC Black.

To house these used discount parts, I bought a new PSU and case. I wanted it to look new, and I didn't want to take chances with a sub-par PSU. After several hours of case shopping, I settled on the Corsair Obsidian 500D-SE Premium Mid-Tower Case, which started me on buying Corsair parts. Since then, I have bought 2x450mm LS-100 Smart Strips and 1xQL120 to serve as my Chassis exhaust fan. The whole Corsair setup with my GI-D66A GameICE 2x120mm RGB CPU Cooler looks ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.

Unfortunately, after putting all of this together and building my first-ever custom gaming computer, I began immediately experiencing random black screens while gaming. The black screens happen suddenly and seemingly during the times of heavy GPU load. While I am gaming, I will notice a break in frame rate followed soon after by a black screen. I can still hear the sound in the background, and my fans still spin, but all RGB LED components connected to the Commander Pro RGB Hub soon lock up and freeze into whatever configuration they were in when the crash occurred. The only thing that fixes this is a forced restart with the Restart button on the front panel.

What I am saying is that in June 2020, after installing the most updated version of Windows 10 64 Bit and iCUE, I am having the SAME ISSUE that WhiskeyOmega and many others have been having FOR YEARS. I am about $500 into my Corsair Adventure, and I probably spent an additional 50 hours troubleshooting this issue before stumbling onto this thread and realizing the issue is with iCUE.

I have renamed the .dll files to .bak extension, and I hope to experience the improved functionality that many others have mentioned. If I could have a black screen only once every couple of days (INSTEAD of EVERY couple HOURS), then I would at least be able to use the Corsair components that I have already bought. Of course, (like many others have commented) I will NOT be spending ANY MORE money on Corsair products. I just hope that this renaming hack will help, but I do not expect it to completely fix the problem.

I just want everyone that might use Corsair products in the future (PARTICULARLY FOR RGB) to know that these compatibility issues with Corsair iCUE are STILL A PROBLEM in SUMMER 2020. I consider myself EXTREMELY lucky to have only spent 50 hours troubleshooting this issue before finding this forum thread, and I want to thank WhiskeyOmega and others for their hard work and time. The time they have spent troubleshooting these issues and fighting Corsair has not only saved me many hours of personal troubleshooting, but who knows how much money I could have poured into the problem before finding Corsair to be the issue.

Thank you for your service to the Corsair community!

• 1 month later...

Seems I'm gonna be the one to open this out yet again. I'm also having this issue although my black screens are usually every 2-7 days, so far less frequent thankfully. But after reading through this entire thread I seem to be having the exact same symptoms only on new hardware. This has only been happening to me since upgrading to this hardware using an ASUS motherboard which I can see most users also stated they were using ASUS motherboards. I wasn't experiencing this on my previous hardware however which was an i7 8700k using a GIGABYTE Z390 Gaming 5 motherboard.

When it happens, my system will have one of the monitors connecting suddenly go black with no warning and then 2-5 seconds after all 3 monitors go black and the system becomes unresponsive unless hitting the reset switch. Using Bluescreen view after this aims the problem at 'nvlddmkm.sys' which is the same as several users within this thread.

Is there still no hard solution to this or is the only real solution to either uninstall iCUE completely and revert back to using Utility Engine or to rename the DLL files? Because this has clearly been on going for a LONG time now. If you need any testing done on my hardware let me know, I'll do what I can to help. System specs are below.

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z490-A

Processor: Intel i7 10700k

Memory: Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3200MHz (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)

Video Card: GIGABYTE AORUS XTREME RTX 2080ti

Power Supply: Corsair RM650i

Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit Build: 2004

• 6 months later...
Has there been a fix yet? I've been dealing with iCue crashing. I'll play a game or whatever, and all of a sudden, my PC locks up, monitors go black and then eventually comes back to life. I'll alt + tab and go open up iCue to check. And the window for iCue is completely see through indicating the iCue software crashed. I even had to end task it for it to close, because it's unresponsive at all. It's a bit frustrating to be honest. First I thought it was a PSU issue, until I checked the event viewer and noticed no critical errors. However, I did get a warning errors of: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. Event ID is 4101. I assume everyone else here is getting the same? As of now, I did a complete uninstall, and reinstall. This issue never happened in their previous version to iCue. I updated recently, and now I'm getting this problem. Anyone find a fix?

• Corsair Employee
Has there been a fix yet? I've been dealing with iCue crashing. I'll play a game or whatever, and all of a sudden, my PC locks up, monitors go black and then eventually comes back to life. I'll alt + tab and go open up iCue to check. And the window for iCue is completely see through indicating the iCue software crashed. I even had to end task it for it to close, because it's unresponsive at all. It's a bit frustrating to be honest. First I thought it was a PSU issue, until I checked the event viewer and noticed no critical errors. However, I did get a warning errors of: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. Event ID is 4101. I assume everyone else here is getting the same? As of now, I did a complete uninstall, and reinstall. This issue never happened in their previous version to iCue. I updated recently, and now I'm getting this problem. Anyone find a fix?

That error and the description of the issue is a result of the graphics driver crashing. The response of the iCUE software also makes sense as it is hardware accelerated by the GPU, so if the driver crashed it is understandable that the iCUE software would also crash as a result of the graphics driver crash. This points to either corrupt driver installation, unstable overclock, or potentially a power related issue though less likely.

That error and the description of the issue is a result of the graphics driver crashing. The response of the iCUE software also makes sense as it is hardware accelerated by the GPU, so if the driver crashed it is understandable that the iCUE software would also crash as a result of the graphics driver crash. This points to either corrupt driver installation, unstable overclock, or potentially a power related issue though less likely.

I reinstalled the nvidia driver completely, and also the iCue software. It crashed again. So is there a fix at all? Only thing I noticed was when I applied power management to 'normal' in the nvidia control panel, this has been happening. I've been running at 'prefer max performance' for 2 months with my EVGA 3090, and no issues. It just seems the iCue software is constantly freaking out

Also to add, my PSU is a Corsair HX1000, so I doubt that's the issue. Considering setting the power management to 'normal' voltages and watts drop to idle. Setting it to 'prefer max performance', the voltages go up and so does the heat to the GPU. I'm confused on the issue...

• Corsair Employee
I reinstalled the nvidia driver completely, and also the iCue software. It crashed again. So is there a fix at all? Only thing I noticed was when I applied power management to 'normal' in the nvidia control panel, this has been happening. I've been running at 'prefer max performance' for 2 months with my EVGA 3090, and no issues. It just seems the iCue software is constantly freaking out

That is going to be something you need to be taking up with Nvidia or your specific graphics card manufacturer. The error is clear that it is the driver itself crashing.

That is going to be something you need to be taking up with Nvidia or your specific graphics card manufacturer. The error is clear that it is the driver itself crashing.

Seems like you may be right - the graphics driver is crashing. The question then becomes WHY is the graphics driver crashing, and why, for so many people, does it stop crashing when iCue is disabled or removed? IMHO there are way too many posts in this very long thread that say disabling or uninstalling iCue immediately resolves the issue. Many of these people have spent hours or even days chasing this problem, only to discover that it goes away when iCue is removed from the equation. I suggest addressing this instead of just saying the graphics driver is crashing, inferring that it's not a Corsair problem. Seems like it is very much a Corsair problem.

• Corsair Employee

Have you tried performing our instructions to clean remove iCUE, use DDU to completely uninstall the Nvidia driver, reboot, reinstall Nvidia Driver, and then install iCUE again?

If its a corrupt Nvidia driver, which is what it sounds like, that would resolve the issue while also ensuring you are starting with a completely fresh install of iCUE in the event that install also got corrupted some how.

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025166712-Perform-a-clean-reinstallation-of-the-Corsair-Utility-Engine-iCUE-

Have you tried performing our instructions to clean remove iCUE, use DDU to completely uninstall the Nvidia driver, reboot, reinstall Nvidia Driver, and then install iCUE again?

If its a corrupt Nvidia driver, which is what it sounds like, that would resolve the issue while also ensuring you are starting with a completely fresh install of iCUE in the event that install also got corrupted some how.

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025166712-Perform-a-clean-reinstallation-of-the-Corsair-Utility-Engine-iCUE-

I've used DDU twice now. The crash goes away when I enable 'prefer max performance' power management in the global settings to Nvidia Control. Why is that? I set it to 'normal' iCue crashes. This is not the first time your software has put my PC to it's knees. I had your H100 AIO and your driver that is required to be installed for information to be seen in iCue... Well that constantly gave me BSOD. The moment I scrap the cooler and went with NZXT's AIO cooler, the BSOD stopped. Corsair needs to admit their software is buggy and needs to be fixed. Ignoring the issue will do nothing but push your current customers away. I'm sure this issue can be fixed, but Corsair probably has no idea how to. So why not blame it on Nvidia right?

• Like 1