Corsair Community

H80i stopped working - CPU temp at 100C!

Exposurednb

Hey guys, hope you're good.

So I built my system 5 years ago for music production. The last couple of weeks it has pretty much ground to a halt. I get an error on startup saying CPU fan error and now the CPU is running at 100C*. Also Corsair link isn't displaying any information about the system when it worked before. The fans on the back that the pipes connect to still spin.

Am I right in thinking this could be as simple as needing to re-apply thermal paste or could the pump be gone?

Really need to get back making music!

Thanks a lot. :biggrin:

It's not thermal paste. The CPU error is the BIOS telling you it can no longer see the device on the other end. That usually only happens when there is some type of electrical failure in the unit. The only other thing to check it makes sure the CPU Fan header is set to 100% or 'disabled' if this is the hexagonal block H80i GT/v2. If you have the generation prior "H80i" square block in piano black, that one is SATA powered and this is not relevant. However, I think it is most likely you need to start shopping for a replacement.

Normally I would have check the temperature change rate. In a zero flow or low flow state you can watch the CPU temp tick upwards 45..50..55...60.. ...80..85.. etc. 30-60 seconds until you hit the limit, even at idle. This is a classic sign of no flow. Contact issues are low then high then low then high. With the no flow state once the temp becomes elevated, it won't come back down. The addition of the CPU fan boot error makes anything other than unit failure very unlikely.

I guess that depends on your point of view. The warranty is 5 years, so you have to put that as the approximate expected life. It's meant to be a disposable, "no maintenance" product and that will always have a definite lifespan. On the other hand, there are people right now grinding their teeth that you got 5 years. Not all of them make it that long. The $1500 TV I bought this week comes with a glorious "1 year limited warranty". It better last longer than that, but this seems to be the current state of the world. 5 years is pretty good.