Corsair Community

K95 Platinum - No USB Passthrough

ttownsend

Hi.

I just bought a new K95 Platinum (to replace my K95). Everything seems to be working correctly except the USB passthrough. I have a Scimitar mouse (not Pro). When I plug it into the K95's USB passthrough port, it doesn't light up, nor is it detected by the system. I've tried rebooting the system, but the mouse never activates and remains dark. I've also tried a couple of other devices ... an older Logitech mouse and a USB flash drive. Neither of those are detected either (although an indicator light on the flash drive does light up, but the drive itself is not detected by the system). Obviously, all of those devices work just fine when I plug them directly into one of my system's USB (3) ports.

So, is there something I'm doing wrong or do I perhaps have a defective keyboard? All other aspects of the K95 seem to be working perfectly.

*** UPDATE **** : I've just discovered something, but I'm still not sure if this is how it's supposed to work. After posting the message above, I tried using both the keyboard and secondary connectors by plugging them into two USB 2 slots instead of one USB 3 slot. When I did that and booted up the system, the mouse began to work ... BUT NOW THE KEYBOARD DIDN'T WORK ... it remained totally dark. So next I tried plugging both of the K95 connectors into two USB 3 ports. Nope ... back to the original problem ... keyboard but no mouse. Finally, I tried plugging the keyboard connector part of the K95 cable into a USB 3 port, and the secondary connector into a USB 2 port ... and suddenly BOTH the keyboard and mouse worked.

Is that the way it should be working or is there still something wrong. It seems to me that I should be able to use the USB passthrough port, even if I'm using only the one USB 3 connector. I'm anxious to learn if this is correct behavior. If it's not, I'm still within my return/exchange window and I can go get a replacement.

- Thanks.

I have seen this suggested (keyboard USB3 Aux USB2) I have seen this described as something to do with how the motherboard handles USB power or the power needed bu the devices.

That seems like it would make sense, although a bit disappointing in that two connectors must be used in order to take advantage of the passthrough. I'll wait a bit to see if anyone else here has had a similar experience. Otherwise, as you say, it's mobo/bios related and just something I'll have to live with. Fortunately, I don't need to plug my mouse into the passthrough port, it would have only been for convenience.

Thanks.

Also, be careful on the Asus X99's. You have a combination of ASmedia and Intel ports. I have two and the color coding on the back is not always accurate. I am not sure what would happen with one plug on an ASMedia port and the other on Intel.

The passthrough is just a USB Type A extension cable so obviously it needs to be plugged in to the PC before anything can be plugged in but I do not recommend using the passthrough ports for anything other than a mouse as for me only the mouse works the best and it can't even recognise or power my phone

Archived