Corsair Community

Corsair RMi : Aida64 shows all temperature sensors...but Corsair Link does not?

corsican

There's a fan controller MCU that uses a combination of inputs to determine if/when the fan should turn on and for how long.

Load, temperature and duration. If the temperatures are high, the fan turns on. If the load is high, the fan turns on. If the fan turns on due to temperature; depending on how long the fan has to run to bring temperatures down, the fan may run a few seconds after temperatures come down to a desirable temperature to avoid the fan immediately ramping back up again too soon.

It's a more expensive solution as you're adding an MCU and you need op-amps to measure the output current, but it yields the most desirable effect.

Most fan controllers only use a thermistor and only change the fan speed based on temperature, so when they advertise that the fan increases at a particular load, they're using an "example" of how the fan would behave at a particular ambient temperature (typically 25°C).

So the fan on the RMi series are control by both temp AND load?

If so that's more of a reason to leave fan on 0-fan mode I guess but the problem is my case is a bit weird it got the PSU at the top which means I gotta leave the fan on (cause the hot air rises ... basically the PSU acts as a second rear exhaust fan)

But that raises another problem since it's only a FDB fan (and not double ball bearing cause these last forever) will leaving the fan on 24/7 kill the fan prematurely? here I set it to 40% minimum (can't go below that apparently) so basically it spins at least 40% speed all the time is this bad for an FDB fan?

• Corsair Employee

But that raises another problem since it's only a FDB fan (and not double ball bearing cause these last forever) will leaving the fan on 24/7 kill the fan prematurely? here I set it to 40% minimum (can't go below that apparently) so basically it spins at least 40% speed all the time is this bad for an FDB fan?

"Only" an FDB fan? The Corsair FDB fans use the actual patented Panasonic fluid dynamic bearing. The MTBF is FIVE TIMES that of a DBB.

Unfortunately, a lot of companies (Aerocool, Arctic, BitFenix, Logisys, NZXT, SilenX and Thermaltake, for example) use the term "FDB" to describe a rifled bearing. This, unfortunately, has confused a lot of consumers, as a rifle bearing fan lasts about half as long as DBB, though twice as long as a standard sleeve bearing.

But a true FDB is still a type of sleeve bearing right? :confused:

Consensus on overclocker forums is even the best sleeve bearing tech cant last as long as double ball bearing (cause friction or something)

they say the only reason DBB aint used all the time is cause they make a bit more noise then FDB for some people silence is more important

btw I've also a Corsair VX550 which I used for 7 years non-stop 24/7 on a server (now I keep it as one of my test/backup PSU's along with a Seasonic) and the fan is a DBB not noisy and show no sign of age ... if it was a FDB fan would it have last that long?

Edited by corsican

• Corsair Employee
But a true FDB is still a type of sleeve bearing right? :confused:

Consensus on overclocker forums is even the best sleeve bearing tech cant last as long as double ball bearing (cause friction or something)

they say the only reason DBB aint used all the time is cause they make a bit more noise then FDB for some people silence is more important

btw I've also a Corsair VX550 which I used for 7 years non-stop 24/7 on a server (now I keep it as one of my backup PSU's along with a Seasonic) and the fan is a DBB not noisy and show no sign of age ... if it was a FDB fan would it have last that long?

True FDB has anb MTBF much longer than any DBB. Your sources are incorrect as they may be thinking of "fake" FDB that are actually just rifle bearings:

https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/the-truth-about-fluid-dynamic-bearing-fdb-fans/

• Corsair Employee
But why even have 0 fan mode then? FDB fans make no noise and if they last that long why not keep them on minimum speed n keep PSU temps down

Zero RPM mode has nothing to do with prolonging the life of the fan, though it is a perk.

PSUs don't generate much heat, so active cooling isn't necessary except for under extreme circumstances. Take, for example, fanless PSUs in the market. They're LITERALLY derated PSUs with the fan removed.

The change from DBB to FDB in Corsair PSUs, even though they're more expensive, was not because of longer life. It was because of bearing noise from DBB at low RPMs. The reason for Zero RPM mode is to reduce noise from the air moving itself and to reduce power consumption.

If so that's more of a reason to leave fan on 0-fan mode I guess but the problem is my case is a bit weird it got the PSU at the top which means I gotta leave the fan on (cause the hot air rises ... basically the PSU acts as a second rear exhaust fan)

That makes you the exception, not the norm. 10 years ago, the PSU on top was the norm, and the PSU >>WAS<< part of the PC's overall cooling system. Back then, PSUs were also a lot less efficient and needed active cooling. Now PSUs are on the bottom. Typically covered with a shroud. Though I admit that when there is no shroud, I do tend to mount my PSUs with the fan facing up to help cool the GPU.

Edited by jonnyguru

But why even have 0 fan mode then? FDB fans make no noise and if they last that long why not keep them on minimum speed n keep PSU temps down

Indeed, this entire thread is a storm in a teacup. Just fix your PSU fan speed to 700RPM and monitor it exclusively with AIDA64. This will keep your PSU temp at a steady 24C idling (same as ambient on my rig). You really do not need iCUE !

Now move on... :roll:

Edited by Yemble

No offense Yemble, but suggesting people monitor it with something besides ICurse might be a mistake due in part to the issues ICue has with programs that monitor sensors while ICue is running. I say this because if you really think people wont run ICue would be a slight flaw in your idea. Not saying it's bad just looking a human nature. Kinda like how some people ignore things if they don't like someone. I could care less but point is that its an unfortunate fact in life. Not naming names *wink* And no I am not referring to you or anyone in particular even if the guilty party knows who they are :)

I still say the best plan is to give people the ability to make their own choices on what they want to see even if the defaults would be to hide something. At least that way all bases are covered and people can't come back and say "Oh well you are hiding something for a reason rant rant rant".

No offense Yemble, but suggesting people monitor it with something besides ICurse might be a mistake due in part to the issues ICue has with programs that monitor sensors while ICue is running. I say this because if you really think people wont run ICue would be a slight flaw in your idea. Not saying it's bad just looking a human nature. Kinda like how some people ignore things if they don't like someone. I could care less but point is that its an unfortunate fact in life. Not naming names *wink* And no I am not referring to you or anyone in particular even if the guilty party knows who they are :)

I still say the best plan is to give people the ability to make their own choices on what they want to see even if the defaults would be to hide something. At least that way all bases are covered and people can't come back and say "Oh well you are hiding something for a reason rant rant rant".

LOL... just saying that there is more than one way to skin this cat :D:

PS, I have eliminated ALL of my random BSOD issues by disabling the CorsairService and not running iCUE at boot... just saying ;):

Edited by Yemble