Corsair Community

H150i with Commander Pro

cocoaboey

Hello All. I just built a new computer, specs seen in my profile. I am using the Corsair H150i Pro AIO for my CPU. I replaced the rear 140mm fan that came with my case with a Corsair HD140. I plugged the AIO into the AIO header on my mobo, and the HD140 into the CPU Fan header so I wouldn't get the error. I couldn't use the RGB on the HD140 yet because I didn't have the controller.

So, I ended up buying 3xHD120s to replace the stock fans on the H150i, and these came with a controller. So I set up the hub/controller (120s slots 1-3 and 140 slot 4). The RGB on the 3 120s works, but the 140 does not. I am in contact with Corsair to hopefully get this replaced.

Now to the point of my post. I decided to get the commander pro so I could have some more control over the fans and LEDs. Right now, the 3 hd120 radiator fans are plugged into the H150. The H150 is plugged into the mobo via usb2 and aio. When the commander gets to me on Friday, I have no idea where I should move all of the cables. Do I plug the AIO fans into the commander? And the HD140? And what about the USB2 from the H150i that's going to the mobo? Do I plug that into the commander? And when I take the HD140 out of the CPU Fan header, should I take the H150i cable from the AIO header and put it in the CPU fan header so I don't get the error?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

The fan cable from the cooler should be on the CPU header. It's there to prevent the error.

Fans for the AIO should be controlled by the AIO. Look at the Liquid Cooler FAQ (linked below) for details.

And yes, you can put the AIO's USB into the Commander Pro. The rest of your case fans would be on the Commander Pro and make sure to use the temp sensors from the CoPro.

• Confused 1

The fan cable from the cooler should be on the CPU header. It's there to prevent the error.

Fans for the AIO should be controlled by the AIO. Look at the Liquid Cooler FAQ (linked below) for details.

And yes, you can put the AIO's USB into the Commander Pro. The rest of your case fans would be on the Commander Pro and make sure to use the temp sensors from the CoPro.

Thanks. What is the AIO header used for then if you always put the AIO cable into the CPU fan header?

So basically I'm going to have just my HD140 rear exhaust fan connected to the commander pro? The CoolerMaster H500M case comes with two 200mm RGB fans that have their own connection on the case and are controlled with the MasterPlus software. I am assuming I can't connect those two fans to the Commander Pro since they're not Corsair fans.

As long as they have standard PWM connections, you can absolutely connect them to the Commander Pro. The RGB, however, is a different story.

And AIO header on many motherboards is simply a standard fan header that's set to full speed at all times. It's appropriate for lower end AIOs that don't have software control and require the fans to be controlled by the motherboard. Outside of that, it's just marketing fluff. IMHO, they actually do more harm than good because you'll have many users that will put the header for a "smart" AIO into this ... which is pointless, to say the least. It's a logical and understandable that many users do this - so it leads people down a path that isn't really a good configuration for their build. I do wish that they'd stop this mess but ... Asus started it and now the rest of the mobo makers are following them like lost puppies.

Yes, the two 200mm fans are PWM but also RGB, so I will keep them as they are now. It will be a little out of sync, but they're amazing fans, not worth replacing.

That's what I thought. I have my AIO plugged into the CPU fan header on the computer I just replaced. But I figured I'd try this setup this time around and see what happened lol. But based on everything I read online, and your confirmation here, I will move the cables around.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your responses.