Corsair Community

Cooling options

Magic Man

Getting a new build, 680x based so comes with the three LL fans at the front and the lighting node pro etc.

It'll have a 115i platinum at the top and I'm looking to add 2 x 140's at the bottom (intake) and replace the 120 exhaust with another 140.

Three LL's would be the easiest but the bottom two would then be hidden being single side only.

QL's would be better in the bottom from a light point of view but what would be the restrictions with three QL's and three LL's on the same fan hub?

It creates a problem in terms of LED/fan count. A QL is effectively a doubled sided LL that synchronizes both sides. So if you set it up front 1-2-3, bottom 4-5, rear #6 (I am assuming the top fans are on the Platinum's lighting controller) and then you tell it "LL x 6" the lighting will stop half way through the QL bottoms. So you do it the other way, QL x 6, but that will make each of the front LL fans act like synchronized pairs, then becoming split across different QL sides on the bottom (front LL pairs with top half of #4 QL).

The only realistic way to do this is buy a QL140 dual pack, run those on the bottom as a separate lighting channel with the front/top/rear fans on the existing controller as main lighting group #1. Where this breaks down is if your top radiator fans are the ML-RGB high speed on the black Platinum coolers and not the LL from the white SE. It would still work with the ML on the Platinum, but that is three different lighting groups and fairly disjointed.

Many thanks. Yep the cooler has the ML fans. I don't necessarily mind separate zones.

So I could go with a dual 140 QL pack which comes with another lighting node core and a single 140 QL for the back and run those off one node core with the three front LL's off the case supplied node core, connecting both node cores to the lighting node pro's two lighting channels?

The two ML's could then connect to either node core or does the pump act as it's own rgb controller? (H115i rgb platinum).

If I wanted any light strips then I'd need another node pro or can they run of the node cores with the fans?

Many thanks

Edited by Magic Man

So I could go with a dual 140 QL pack which comes with another lighting node core and a single 140 QL for the back and run those off one node core with the three front LL's off the case supplied node core, connecting both node cores to the lighting node pro's two lighting channels?

Yes, that works. The Core connects back to the system via USB 2, so that brings your total count up to at least 3 USB 2.0 connections (cooler, LNP, LN-Core). Might need to look at powered USB hubs. Most people run into this eventually. This would be 3 lighting zones (pump+top, bottom/rear QL, front LLx3).

The two ML's could then connect to either node core or does the pump act as it's own rgb controller? (H115i rgb platinum).

The Platinum cooler has it's own internal lighting controller. That is most likely place to stick the two ML. However, you do have the option of sticking them on the end of either the LL group (RGB hub slots 4+5) or the same on the Core device after the 3 QL. Usual problem of sticking a 4 LED fan after a bunch of 16s and the effects seemingly will race through the 4 LED fans. Since the controller is there on the Platinum, I would use it, but it is as simple as moving the RGB wire connector to another controller if you want to experiment.

If I wanted any light strips then I'd need another node pro or can they run of the node cores with the fans?

I believe you have a Lighting Node Pro with the case. That device (unlike the Core and Platinum) has two RGB channels. The Core and AIO bypass this and connect via USB. You will have a left over RGB channel for the strips. They connect directly to the Lighting Node Pro. Check out the Corsair RGB "expansion kit". This is 4 strips, plus extensions, no controller. Having wired that case before, the extensions are extremely helpful.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/iCUE-CONTROLLERS/CORSAIR-RGB-LED-Lighting-PRO-Expansion-Kit/p/CL-8930002

Not really. More parallel.

RGB Lighting hub is the power conduit for the lighting. Lighting Node Pro the lighting controller and software interface.

The Lighting Node Core is both of those in one box, but there is no free lunch. It's only 1 fan channel for up to 6 fans. The Node Pro and Commander Pro both can handle two channels (2 RGB Hubs) per controller and also can do RGB strips, Hydro X components, and fans.

So ultimately it's a combination game depending on your needs. Bought 4 fans and just want them to light up? Core is simple and easy, 1 box and 1 connection. Want to add strips? Now you need a Node Pro or Commander Pro.

In your circumstances, things worked out nicely. You will have just enough lighting channels for what you want, with no individual hubs/cores/nodes to go hunt down. If there were no strips, you could connect the QL to a RGB hub and put them on the LNP, but that doesn't change the lighting options or gain you much, except 1 less USB 2 hub. Speaking of which, you are going to need 3 internal USB 2 connections. Most MBs only have 1-2. Like many, you are going to need a powered USB 2 hub. There are many brands out there, but as long as it has a SATA connector for power and 3-4 ports, it should work.

Excellent, many thanks for clarifying that. Yep, just been looking at internal hubs ��

I suppose the issue with getting another RGB hub separately is that it doesn't come with the three pin connection to the LNPro?

Edited by Magic Man

Yes, if buying the hub directly from Corsair, I don't think it has the connection cable back to the controller. Those do come in multi-packs. 3rd parties trying to dump their piles of hubs/controller might include it.

Another minor issue to be aware of is the LL and QL are not exact color temperature matches. The LL are cooler. This is most noticeable on white, but after I put 3 LL on (front side) with my other 6 QL this week, I am noticing it anything with blue/green tint. This is correctable at the RGB value level, but if you are a "white purist", this can be aggravating.

First one I found with clear front/rear images. That's 9 LL in groups of 3 on an O11D. Not sure what's on the GPU there. There probably are 680x specific pictures out there and this is a common roadblock.

I've just started getting the parts for my new build. I bought a Commander pro and ripped out the lighting pro from the 680x. I have put two LL140's on the bottom of the case and swapped out the rear none RGB fan for another LL140.

I intend to plug the front 3 LL120's, the 2 bottom LL140's and the rear LL140 into the Commander Pro I have purchased. I'm also intending to get the H115i Capellix which comes with its own Commander core I believe.

Both the Commander Pro and Commander Core will be plugged into a NZXT internal hub because I've been advised there can be intermittant connection issues if you plug the commanders directly onto the motherboard headers.