Corsair Community

CM2x2048-8500C5D in dual channel on Asus P5Q Pro

milankoko

I have a weird problem that I think is related to RAM. Booting computer for the first time in the day always takes a lot of retries, since it doesn't even POST. Then it seems like it warms up over time and boots up normally. After that I can reset it all I want and it will always boot up. Sometimes it freezes right in the middle of bootup, even before it comes to the windows screen. And this all happens only when in dual channel mode. Single channel mode with any stick in any slot works fine. Dual channel will behave like this in A or B channel.

I have tried this:

- replaced the motherboard for the new one - same behavior

- set the DRAM voltage to 2.1V

- set the timings manually to 5-5-5-15 (it defaults to 5-5-5-18). There are a lot more timings to be set, but I can't find them anywhere for my set of RAM, so defaults are used.

- set DRAM frequency manually to 1066MHz. Sometimes when it boots up I noticed it was at 800MHz, when set to auto

- cleared CMOS

- removed mobo batery

- tried another PSU (both 550W, but this shouldn't be a problem. when it starts up I can play Crysis for hours)

What are my options? Are there any more bios settings I can alter? I will run memtest86+ tomorrow, but I don't think anything will show up.

My specs:

- Asus P5Q pro

- Corsair Dominators 2x2GB kit, model in thread title (listed on asus QVL for mb)

- Intel Core2 Quad Q8200

You might wish to add a bit of voltage to the MCH and see how that works. The MCH has a default chipset voltage of 1.1v and so, try 1.2v. Test the memory singly and in dual channel mode at the appropriate values and try both yellow and black slots to isolate dual channel mode issues at a slot level.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

Download CPU-z from

Shut the system down. Insert a single stick of memory in the Slot 1 (Closest to the CPU). Restart, enter your BIOS and set to these values:

AI Overclock Tweaker

Configure System Performance Settings

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual

CPU Ratio Setting = Auto

FSB Frequency = 333

PCI-E Frequency = 100

FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333

DRAM Timing Control = Manual

DRAM Frequency = DDR2-1066

DRAM Command Rate = 2N

DRAM Timing Control = Manual

CAS# Latency = 5

RAS# to CAS# Delay = 5

RAS# PRE Time = 5

RAS# ACT Time = 15

Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) = 60

All Else to Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Auto

DRAM Read Training = Auto

Mem. OC Charger = Auto

AI Transaction Booster = Disabled

CPU Voltage = Auto

CPU PLL Voltage = Auto

FSB Termination Voltage = Auto

DRAM Voltage = 2.1v

NB Voltage = 1.20v

Shut the system down. Boot to the Memtest CD with that single stick and allow for two full passes. Shut the system down. Remove the first stick and insert it in slot two. Repeat memtest. Shut the system down. Remove the first stick and insert it into slot three and repeat memtest. Do the same for the last slot. You have now tested one stick and all four slots. Shut the system down and insert the second stick in slot one. Retest. Shut the system down and remove the second stick and insert the third stick in slot one. Repeat Memtest. Do the same with the last stick. You have now tested all four sticks in single channel mode.

Now test for the Dual Channel Mode function of the memory controller. Insert a stick in slot one and three and memtest. Remove the set and insert it into slot two and slot four, repeat memtest. If Stable enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs and please post your report such as:

Stick 1 - Slot 1 = No boot/Pass/Fail Memtest 
Stick 1 - Slot 2 = No boot/Pass/Fail Memtest 
Stick 1 - Slot 3 = No boot/Pass/Fail Memtest 
Stick 1 - Slot 4 = No boot/Pass/Fail Memtest 

Stick 2 - Slot 1 = No boot/Pass/Fail Memtest
Stick 3 - Slot 1 = No boot/Pass/Fail Memtest
Stick 4 - Slot 1 = No boot/Pass/Fail Memtest

Stick 1 & 2 - Slot 1 & 3 = No boot/Pass/Fail Memtest
Stick 2 & 4 = Slot 2 & 4 = No boot/Pass/Fail Memtest

Results?

I will do this.

before I went to work today though I did run a quick memtest. Had to wait 20 minutes for machine to start though, but when it did, it ran with no problems in the dual channel mode. NB voltage still at 1.1v, and no errors in 1 memtest pass. I have only two RAM sticks, its actually a 4GB kit of 2Gb sticks.

I did notice that now for the first time when I turned on computer it switched on, wanted to start, couldnt, reset itself, and tried again. Then it shut down, and when I managed to start it after 20 mins, it said overclocking failed. It has never shut itself down before. This time bios settings were not cleared, which happens sometimes when I try to reboot too many times - only before first successful full boot.

I will run a full set of test later in the evening.

You only need to run a few passes on the two in dual channel mode. There is no need to isolate them if they both pass together. This means that the Memory has no issue. It sounds like either a BIOS bootstrap issue or some hardware component is at issue with the POST. Have you tried downgrading the BIOS, then upgrading it and loading/saving setup defaults? Then install your custom BIOS settings anew.

I will do this.

before I went to work today though I did run a quick memtest. Had to wait 20 minutes for machine to start though, but when it did, it ran with no problems in the dual channel mode. NB voltage still at 1.1v, and no errors in 1 memtest pass. I have only two RAM sticks, its actually a 4GB kit of 2Gb sticks.

I did notice that now for the first time when I turned on computer it switched on, wanted to start, couldnt, reset itself, and tried again. Then it shut down, and when I managed to start it after 20 mins, it said overclocking failed. It has never shut itself down before. This time bios settings were not cleared, which happens sometimes when I try to reboot too many times - only before first successful full boot.

I will run a full set of test later in the evening.

No problems in memory section, if it boots, it passes.

I have not tried downgrading. I did try it with out of the box bios version 13**, it didn't work. So I updated to the newest release v2002 and have been using it since.

I don't know if its really any other component, since it only happens in dual channel mode. My thought was that mobo wasn't getting enough voltage, since I only connected the 20 pin and 4 pin(my board has an option for either 4 or 8 pin EATX12V). . Now I just came back from the store with adapter to connect to 8pin power, but still the results remain the same. Could it be that PSU doesn't provide enough power when all components start at the beginning, and after dry running it for a couple of minutes the power somehow adds up and computer manages to boot?

Archived