Corsair Community

Corsair DDR4 32GB 2666 kit (CMD32GX4M4A2666C15) Will not run stable at 1.2V

1hardway

Building a new system and I can't get my memory to run without errors at the rated 1.2V in XMP (2666MHz).

If I take XMP off and run it at the SPD frequency of 2133, it works just fine, but when I enable XMP, it starts throwing errors in Memtest86 and I get erratic behavior in Windows 10.

I tested the board with my Fluke multimeter, which I know is dead reliable, and the voltage to the DIMMS in XMP 1 is 1.219V.

My question is, should I even go in and try to up the voltage in the BIOS to get it stable, or do I have substandard RAM which I should replace?

System:

Skylake i7 6700K

MSI Z170a Xpower gamer titanium

32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 2666 (4x8GB) CMD32GX4M4A2666C15

Edited by 1hardway

Last night, I tested the voltage at the DIMM slots and in XMP (2666MHz) I was getting 1.219V. I upped it to 1.23V in the BIOS, which gave me 1.24V at the DIMM slots according to the multimeter, and manually set the RAM to 2666 MHz.

I ran Memtest86 all night and got no errors, so the memory now seems to be working at the 2666 MHz frequency.

I am not sure how to feel about it though. Corsair claims that this kit works at XMP setting 1 (2666 MHz @ 1.2V), and I guess if we are rounding to one decimal place, 1.24V is still 1.2V, but it is not working with XMP.

Has anyone else had a similar issue with this memory? It's pretty high end stuff and I'm a little put off that it's not working as advertised, but it is working now. I feel like I got a marginal kit.

Test the DIMMs in Memtest86+ individually (one at a time) at the rated XMP settings. See if you can narrow it down to a single DIMM.

Could also just be the IMC. Skylake is known to require a bit of voltage tweaking to get stable with >2133MT/s, especially with four DIMMs.

• 4 years later...