Corsair Community

Commander Pro LED channel 1 not working

Scooter21

My set up is a Lighting Node Core which has 6 SP120 Pro fans connected to it. The Node Core is attached to the Commander Pro via the USB cable. I just got a RGB LED Lighting Pro expansion kit and with four strips linked I plugged it into the LED 1 plug on the Commander Pro and none of the strips would light up. When I plugged it into the LED 2 plug the strips worked fine.

Now, I know the Commander Pro has just two lighting channels, but since the Node Core is lighting the fans, should I technically have three lighting channels? You know, one run by the Node Core and two more by the Commander Pro? Is the Node Core connected by USB taking up Lighting Channel 1? If so, why can't I control Lighting Channel 1 via the Commander Pro (I can't) and thus can only control it via the Lighting Node Core?

Also, could I pick up a third lighting channel if I were connect the Node Core directly to a USB2 port instead of connecting it to the USB port on the Commander Pro? And if so and as a follow up to that question, I only have one USB2 port, could I use a splitter on the USB2 port and thus get full functionality out of both devices even though they are both going through the same USB2 port?

*EDIT* I just powered down my computer, disconnected the Node Core USB from the Commander Pro, connected the RGB strips from LED 2 and put it in at LED 1 and when powered up the strips functioned as they should. So, point being, there isn't anything physically wrong with the LED 1 port.

Edited by Scooter21

You should have 3 channels. Connecting the Lighting Node Core doesn't remove channels from the Commander Pro.

Did you configure the lighting channel? You do need to do this. It's possible that Lighting Channel 2 was already configured for something ... so that'd be why the strips lit up.

You should have 3 channels. Connecting the Lighting Node Core doesn't remove channels from the Commander Pro.

Did you configure the lighting channel? You do need to do this. It's possible that Lighting Channel 2 was already configured for something ... so that'd be why the strips lit up.

In iCue I only have two lighting channels on the Commander Pro and Lighting Channel 1 in iCue does nothing when the Node Core is attached. The Node Core has only one lighting channel and it only controls the fan LEDs and does nothing when the USB is not attached to the Commander Pro (well, the fans light in the default setting but can't be altered). I can configure Lighting Channel 1 on the CP any way I like and it still does nothing. When I originally attached the LED strips to Lighting Channel 1, they were not recognized in iCue. When I was originally trying to get the strips to work, I plugged two into lighting channel 1 and two in the lighting channel 2. Only the two on LC2 lit up.

Is there something wrong with my Commander Pro or do I have to connect both the CP and the LNC directly to their own USB2 outlet on the MB to get my full three channels? I'd like to have three channels.

Edited by Scooter21

Let me see if I'm following this.

If you unplug the Lighting Node Core from the USB port, Lighting Channel 1 on the Commander Pro works?

And when you connect the Lighting Node Core, then Lighting Channel 1 no longer works?

This is *not* how it should be. I'm asking if that's the behavior that you are seeing.

I must have had something either plugged in wrong or configured wrong. While shut down I moved the strips to LED 1 and once configured they work fine. And now with nothing connected to LED 2 Lighting Channel 2 doesn't even show in iCue on the Commander Pro. The next test will be to split the strips into two strips and plug them into LED 1 and LED 2 at the same time.

Okay, so I split the LED strips in two with two strips apiece. Once configured both LED channels are working from the Commander Pro and the Node Core is controlling the fan LEDs. I must have either had something connected wrong or configured wrong in iCue.

Now I just need to figure out what additional Corsair RBG item I can add to my case! I really like the Dominator Airflow RGB RAM cooler but it just wouldn't fit in my 220T case unless I remove my tower CPU cooler (different brand) and one of the exhaust fans at the top of the case.