Corsair Community

Is my memory causing BSOD?

highlandbobby

Hi Folks

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me.

I recently constructed a new machine based on an Asus P7H57D-V EVO mobo. I installed a Corsair DDR3-1333Mhz unbuffered memory kit CMV4GX3M2A1333C9. As I'm using an Intel Lynnfield CPU (i5 750), the RAM can only be installed in Slots A1, B1. Ever since I built it I have been having a BSOD at least once a day. All the diagnostics I've run show no issues. I have upgraded all drivers. I am not overclocking - all BIOS settings at default. Looking at the Minidump files appears to indicate a USB issue, however, the only two USB devices permanently connected are the keyboard and mouse (both MS items). BSOD occurs whether or not my other two USB devices (printer and external hardrive) are active. I also have the NEC USB 3.0 drivers installed (but no device connected) and I understand these can cause issues. So I disabled them - still got a bsod :mad:

Memtest86 shows no RAM errors when the sticks are tested individually and in different slots. However, Memtest86 indicates that what I bought and thought were a matched pair of RAM sticks don't appear to be. Memtest reports each stick as follows:

2048Mb PC3-10600 - Corsair CMX2GX3M1A1333C9

Settings RAM: 666Mhz (DDR3-1333) / CAS 10-10-10-30 / Single channel

2048Mb PC3-10600 - Corsair VS2GB1333D4

Settings RAM: 666Mhz (DDR3-1333) / CAS 9-9-9-24 / Single channel

The BIOS reports the settings as 9-9-9-24.

Is this the source of my problem? I'm getting desperate!

I've uploaded most of the recent Minidumps to Skydrive. Here's the link:

http://cid-859ded990764947d.skydrive.live.com/home.aspx

Is the different latency and model numbers the cause of all my woes? Incompatible memory? My system full details are under my profile. Thanking you in advance.

• Corsair Employee
Looks like the SPD may not have been flashed to one of the sticks. The timings should still be the same. Have you tried testing each module one at a time to see if you can narrow it down to one module causing the issue?

Looks like the SPD may not have been flashed to one of the sticks. The timings should still be the same. Have you tried testing each module one at a time to see if you can narrow it down to one module causing the issue?

Thank you for the response. Yes, I have tested them individually, but perhaps not as long as I should have - 6 or 7 passes. What I'll do is run the test on each stick overnight, so might take a while. So you think it might be a faulty EEPROM on one of the sticks? Will Memtest86 pick that up or should I just RMA and be done with it?

Hi Ram Guy

Thanks for the advice. I've just completed a marathon 36 hour Memtest86 test on my RAM in all configurations possible. Guess what, no errors detected. Both sticks now show the same latency of 9-9-9-24 whether singly, in different slots or as a pair. The only discernable difference since the previous tests is that the settings are now shown as 668Mhz and DDR3-1337, as against 666Mhz and DDR3-1333. Don't know why that is happening as I have not changed BIOS settings. Is that a problem?

Now I'm in a dilemma to RMA or not. Does that fact that the 'matched' kit I bought appears to be made up of two different identifiers be the source of the problem? I'll see if I get another BSOD today. Do you still recommend RMA?

Hi Folks

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me.

I recently constructed a new machine based on an Asus P7H57D-V EVO mobo. I installed a Corsair DDR3-1333Mhz unbuffered memory kit CMV4GX3M2A1333C9. As I'm using an Intel Lynnfield CPU (i5 750), the RAM can only be installed in Slots A1, B1. Ever since I built it I have been having a BSOD at least once a day. All the diagnostics I've run show no issues. I have upgraded all drivers. I am not overclocking - all BIOS settings at default. Looking at the Minidump files appears to indicate a USB issue, however, the only two USB devices permanently connected are the keyboard and mouse (both MS items). BSOD occurs whether or not my other two USB devices (printer and external hardrive) are active. I also have the NEC USB 3.0 drivers installed (but no device connected) and I understand these can cause issues. So I disabled them - still got a bsod :mad:

Memtest86 shows no RAM errors when the sticks are tested individually and in different slots. However, Memtest86 indicates that what I bought and thought were a matched pair of RAM sticks don't appear to be. Memtest reports each stick as follows:

2048Mb PC3-10600 - Corsair CMX2GX3M1A1333C9

Settings RAM: 666Mhz (DDR3-1333) / CAS 10-10-10-30 / Single channel

2048Mb PC3-10600 - Corsair VS2GB1333D4

Settings RAM: 666Mhz (DDR3-1333) / CAS 9-9-9-24 / Single channel

The BIOS reports the settings as 9-9-9-24.

Is this the source of my problem? I'm getting desperate!

I've uploaded most of the recent Minidumps to Skydrive. Here's the link:

http://cid-859ded990764947d.skydrive.live.com/home.aspx

Is the different latency and model numbers the cause of all my woes? Incompatible memory? My system full details are under my profile. Thanking you in advance.

I was having BSOD with ASUS board.I think Ive solved mine by uninstalling all the ASUS utilities.Mine appears caused by asio.sys.Might have to run verifier to see what is going on. http://jcgriff2.com/driver_verifier.htm. Go here http://www.sevenforums.com/ and ask for their help.

I was having BSOD with ASUS board.I think Ive solved mine by uninstalling all the ASUS utilities.Mine appears caused by asio.sys.Might have to run verifier to see what is going on. http://jcgriff2.com/driver_verifier.htm. Go here http://www.sevenforums.com/ and ask for their help.

Unfortunately, I haven't got any Asus utilities installed, so I can't blame them! On the plus side, no bsod yesterday or today so far.

If your memory is showing good and you still get BSOD run verifier.It looks for driver problems that may be causing them.Good luck.

Right, Verifier indicates that my BSOD's are being caused by my AVG anti-virus, specifically avgidsdriver.sys. A quick Google turns up issues with memory and this driver in Vista and 7 (the same version of AVG runs perfectly on my XP machines). I've uninstalled AVG using AVG's uninstall tool for 64 bit systems and put Microsoft Security Essentials on as a stop-gap measure. This is curious as AVG replaced McAfee Security Centre which was also causing BSOD's. Maybe these programmes don't like 64 bit systems? I'm not convinced this is my only problem, but one step at a time!

Ok, this machine has issues. This morning I've had two new bsods. Verifier shows that one is caused by ctxusbm.sys, which is part of Citrix Client. This occurred when logging on to one of my client's intranet. The other was af15bda.sys which is another usb driver related to my Kworld PC160 tv card(which wasn't being used at the time) . Most of my bsods seem to be usb related. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all the USB drivers, updated to latest versions but am still getting these **** bsods! I have RMA'd the memory as suggested by Ram Guy. I just don't know what else to do! I've also discovered though that Verifier is a very aggressive tool and can exploit weaknesses in unsigned drivers thus inducing a bsod. If I load Citrix with verifier running, instant bsod, without Verifier, no problem. So much for helping!

Archived