Corsair Community

Restarts / Shut downs with GA-965P-DS3 rev 1.0 and TX650w

Morph21

Hi!

I just bought a new TX650w along with a new GPU upgrade. It turns out that a machine that has worked PERFECTLY for the last four years started to shut down or restart suddenly.

I then removed the new GPU and tried the old one, same issue.

Did BIOS upgrade, same issue.

Disconnected all case fans, same issue.

The issue even happened when I was at the BIOS setup after upgrading it, so, I really don't think this is a Operating System problem, anyway, I'm running Windows 7 x64.

Just didn't test with the old PSU as it is a 450w and the GPU says it requires a 500w minimum.

In other words, if I have all my old hardware back I have absolutely no problem. I just change the old PSU for the Corsair and the booting problem starts.

Searching through the forums I found that other people have the same problem with Gigabyte motherboards. No conclusive answer, though.

Would anyone please have any information or idea?

Hi!

Thanks for your reply.

I was able to fix the problem.

Turns out that a LOT of people have this "phenomenon" with Gygabite motherboards. The problem is all the "on the fly" changes that the board allows you to make for overclocking.

In other words, I turned to Manual and fixed EVERYTHING that the stupid M.I.T. options had, and also turned off CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E), CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) and CPU EIST Function.

I do think that only turning the over clocking auto bla bla in M.I.T. options was the trick.

It is a GREAT board for over clocking, I particularly never did, but I'll reconsider a Gigabyte in the future because those should not affect a board like this.

As for Corsair, maybe checking WHAT is happening that their PSUs is so vulnerable to that, or if it is a fault in Gigabyte's design that passes out as a possible problem and then the PSU is shutting down to prevent any issues, then PLEASE POST IT so we know about it and know which hardware to buy.

Thank you.

Archived