Corsair Community

Why no independent updater?

RejZoR

Why only Win7 and only AHCI ? I have no intention to completelly disassemble my netbook to get a drive out, insert it in my PC, update it, assemble the whole thing back. Besides, i don't have AHCI on my netbook. Pointless.

Why is Corsair not using some live linux so anyone can simply boot with that, update it and that's it. Others use it. I remember i've updated my former Intel drive with their tool this way. And it was the easiest update ever, without any dependence on AHCI, Win7 or whatever.

keep in mind, Corsair sells ENTHUSIAST products that may require service or maintainence beyond the OEM system like your netbook.

besides, the official info is

This update has been validated for use with Windows 7. It has not been validated with Windows Vista and Windows XP however it may work with these OS's. Users are encouraged to update the drives with Windows 7 when possible.

have you tried updating it yet with your current setup? if you said you did i apologize, i missed it :)

I did and it didn't work. As for the enthusiasm of my "OEM" setup, it has been modified to have more RAM, modified CPU cooler and a SSD drive instead of old 5400RPM HDD. I think its enthusiastic enough by itself. And even though it's a bit older, i have no intention to replace it anytime soon.

I did and it didn't work. As for the enthusiasm of my "OEM" setup, it has been modified to have more RAM, modified CPU cooler and a SSD drive instead of old 5400RPM HDD. I think its enthusiastic enough by itself. And even though it's a bit older, i have no intention to replace it anytime soon.

We do not create the firmwares or the update utilities. Those come from SandForce and that is all they have provided at this time. If you are unable to update using any of the suggestions in the .PDF, RMA the drive and we'll update it for you.

Then how come a competitor product that's also using SandForce can have an updater using live linux and Corsair can't (if the SandForce makes the apps)?

I don't think that's correct.

Regardless, you can use a windows XP live CD and it will work fine. This is not different than using a Linux live CD, although I do admit it's a little more inconvenient due to the fact you will have to create the XP live CD yourself and have a license/image file handy. AHCI mode is not necessarily required, I have updated it on IDE. The instructions only say it has been tested on AHCI, not that it requires it.

Hiren's Boot CD or UBCD4Win have both been reported to work quite well.

But more importantly, please confirm the current firmware you have is in need of an upgrade.

Well, when i had a 120GB G2 drive from Intel (i bet this will get censored), i just downloaded a pre-compiled bootable ISO with updater and new firmware. I just downloaded the ISO, burned it and booted the system with it. It was done in no time at all, regardless of system used. ******** also provides live bootable updater. Just not Corsair. Why?

As far as I know Intel does not use sandforce controllers.

There are only a few products at the other company you mentioned that use sandforce controllers, and they use a very similar update tool that Corsair has (windows only). Please, stop spreading false information.

Well, when i had a 120GB G2 drive from Intel (i bet this will get censored), i just downloaded a pre-compiled bootable ISO with updater and new firmware. I just downloaded the ISO, burned it and booted the system with it. It was done in no time at all, regardless of system used. ******** also provides live bootable updater. Just not Corsair. Why?

As per the rules, please don't go around the filter, thank you.

Bravo. Cmon, censor some more. In all the long years of working with PC's i haven't meet any company thats so freckin ignorant. And trust me i've seen a lot.

I wonder why is this forum even open. You're not allowed to post anything because you obviously don't bother to even read. You're not allowed to give constructive comments or suggestions on things where competition is doing things far better than YOU do. And the whole censoring thing is just pathetic. You all act like 8 year old kids who fight who has a better toy car and would not acknowledge that the other kid's toy car is in fact better. Grow the f**kin' up.

I've bought Corsair PSU, Corsair RAM, Corsair SSD and now i'm sitting in fron t of my PC raging at the incompetence dealt by the ppl around here. I mean what the hell!? Do you want to deliberately sink your own company or what? Sticking a head in the sand and ignoring your own customers will do just that.

Bravo. Cmon, censor some more. In all the long years of working with PC's i haven't meet any company thats so freckin ignorant. And trust me i've seen a lot.

I wonder why is this forum even open. You're not allowed to post anything because you obviously don't bother to even read. You're not allowed to give constructive comments or suggestions on things where competition is doing things far better than YOU do. And the whole censoring thing is just pathetic. You all act like 8 year old kids who fight who has a better toy car and would not acknowledge that the other kid's toy car is in fact better. Grow the f**kin' up.

I've bought Corsair PSU, Corsair RAM, Corsair SSD and now i'm sitting in fron t of my PC raging at the incompetence dealt by the ppl around here. I mean what the hell!? Do you want to deliberately sink your own company or what? Sticking a head in the sand and ignoring your own customers will do just that.

You have been banned from the forum. Please use our other avenues for tech support.

Archived