Corsair Community

Does the Commander Pro remember settings even WITHOUT iCue installed?

donalgodon

Does the Commander Pro remember settings even WITHOUT iCue installed?

Specifically, if I remove iCue after I have set the fan curves, RGB strip settings, etc. will these settings be stored on the Commander Pro so that I could effectively remove iCue entirely and still maintain that functionality?

I want my fan curves and RGB to still work without iCue even installed, if possible.

RGB will be limited to the effects in "Hardware Lighting".

Fan curves will be stored only if they are based on the built-in temp sensors on the Commander Pro. Any fan curve that requires a different value for control else won't work.

Are you referring to the temperature probes/leads that came with it?

I've set my Commander Pro to use GPU as a fan curve source, since it's far more variable than CPU for me.

Are you saying that it won't work unless I have the external sensor probes installed? Sorry, I might not be following you correctly.

Without the software to interpret, you can't pass data from GPU to motherboard to Commander Pro. It needs the software to understand info from other devices. The temp probes are the native source for the Commander Pro and will work all the time. You will want to use those. You can still set it above the GPU somewhere, rear exhaust, etc. that is a better indicator of case related GPU heat, but you'll probably need to observe the temp range for a bit with the software so you can pin down a proper temp range and fan speed for it. GPU temp is fine quick fix, but even for those who want to run the software, I suggest they move over to the temp probes. Your case fans don't do much for GPU diode heat. That is all on the GPU fans. However, the GPU, CPU and anything else in the case will go +1C for each 1C of case temp increase.

You can use any 10K thermistor wire with the Commander Pro if the originals are not available. Those are cheap to pick up.

Are you referring to the temperature probes/leads that came with it?

I've set my Commander Pro to use GPU as a fan curve source, since it's far more variable than CPU for me.

Are you saying that it won't work unless I have the external sensor probes installed? Sorry, I might not be following you correctly.

donalgodon, to clear this up further...

If you have a probe (any compatible 10kΩ probe) attached to one of the four temperature ports on the Commander Pro then the answer is yes. It can be used a source temperature to base a fan curve against and have it operate correctly without ICUE running. (I use 2 x Phobya 10kΩ inline water temperature sensors - one for each of my Commander Pro's.) However, if you choose other sources (i.e. ones that aren't hard wired to your Commander Pro) you must have ICUE running to be able to use them as a source.

I think I'm not making this clear. I want to know if the Commander Pro can be used to control fans WITHOUT the software installed.

If I set a curve via the software and then remove the software by uninstalling it, does that curve get saved to the internal memory of the Commander Pro or is the software always needed to allow the control of fans?

I have tested it a bit without software and in Linux, ect. but I don't know what the fans are doing without the software.

CPU temperature. It’s the only thing every system is guaranteed to have. You want to get off that immediately. Any recent cpu will ramp you to death just opening folders and browser tabs on the desktop.

I don't think that's the case, because I had mine set to GPU temp, but when I removed the software, the fans stay constant and never change speed.

I'm wondering what the default is once the software is removed.

That's a different question than "what is the default fan curve".

If you set the sensor source control variable to something that can be only detected with the software running, then it likely reports a null value with iCUE closed. The normal response to this is 100% max fan speed. It is possible it retains the last known speed while you remain on the desktop after quitting or uninstalling. That will remain until you reboot or wake from sleep and it looks for value again, but it is not active fan control. Once you uninstall and then reboot, you will be locked at 100%.

I am running a second C-Pro outside the case as I perform additional fan testing. The main C-Pro has my 4 temp sensors running to the various points in the coolant loop. These work all the time as they are native. The 2nd C-Pro also uses these same sensor values and the same fan curves as the internal fans. Every time I quit the software or reboot, the fans will go to max. C-Pro 2 is USB connected to C-Pro 1, but without the software, it can only take data internally -- not even from another direct connected Commander Pro.

Edited by c-attack

That's a different question than "what is the default fan curve".

If you set the sensor source control variable to something that can be only detected with the software running, then it likely reports a null value with iCUE closed. The normal response to this is 100% max fan speed. It is possible it retains the last known speed while you remain on the desktop after quitting or uninstalling. That will remain until you reboot or wake from sleep and it looks for value again, but it is not active fan control. Once you install and then reboot, you will be locked at 100%.

I am running a second C-Pro outside the case as I perform additional fan testing. The main C-Pro has my 4 temp sensors running to the various points in the coolant loop. These work all the time as they are native. The 2nd C-Pro also uses these same sensor values and the same fan curves as the internal fans. Every time I quit the software or reboot, the fans will go to max. C-Pro 2 is USB connected to C-Pro 1, but without the software, it can only take data internally -- not even from another direct connected Commander Pro.

I'm not locked at 100% fan speed. That's why I am wondering what the hardware default is, because I've even done a clean Windows install and the fans are not at 100%. They work, but they just don't seem to change RPM.

I'm not locked at 100% fan speed. That's why I am wondering what the hardware default is, because I've even done a clean Windows install and the fans are not at 100%. They work, but they just don't seem to change RPM.

If you were using a fan curve not tied to a CoPro sensor, that's the last speed that it was at before you quit. As c-attack indicated.

If you want a curve to run, it needs to be based on a CoPro sensor.