Corsair Community

Vengeance 2100 mic volume too low

ben5h

• 1 month later...

This seems to be a constant problem for Corsair. I throw away my old HS1's because Team Speak, Ventrillo and Skype constantly had problems with my mic level. I'm away from home and needed to buy something quick from Best Buy, and grabbed the H2100's, and was dismayed when I had the same mic level issues. All I heard in TS3 was "why is your mic so low". The only way I could get it to be acceptable was to leave automatic gain "on". This is unaccepatable for a lot of reasons.

I installed the APO from http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=123956 and changed my config to be:

Device: Headset Microphone
Preamp: +15db

This fixed the Vent/TS3 issues. Without that boost, my headset mic level sits around -40db to -35db for 'silence'. Talking at a normal volume brings it between -30db to -20db range. With the preamp +15db boost on the microphone, I talk in the -10db to 5db range. And this seems to make all the difference in the world.

So, it's likely some issue with how TS3, Vent, Skype and in game voice compression works, but my Astro A40s never had this issue. Maybe it's tied to the fact that a lot of other headsets still have the "Enable Mic Boost" check box on their control panel.

Archived