Corsair Community

Corsair Link very high CPU usage

electricalplug

Hi,

Recently I've been noticing that Corsair Link will idle around 30% CPU usage and often ramp up to 50% in some situations, playing games etc.

Is this normal? Never noticed this problem before I updated the software to the new Link 4.

Did a full, clean install of Corsair Link 4 making sure to scrub all trace of the old software.

Thanks! Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

1137795541_corsaircpuusage.thumb.jpg.1be7beea0d1c04942f71682f92c68c87.jpg

1817873532_corsaircpuusage2.thumb.jpg.209c9abfd5b7e69732895bc8af21f244.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is this normal?

This post is tricky to reply to as CL4 is reputedly a total rewrite from CL3. I recall CL3 doing this, but your post is the first example for CL4. Either way CL4 should not do this.

As a developer I suspect one of the 25 threads is spinning and using 25% which as you have a 4 CPU system is 100% of one CPU. Were it my system I would run PE (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396) and look at the thread properties to see if one thread was using 25% (100% of one CPU). Ideally post a screen shot.

I suspect there is nothing much you can do to stop this happening and suspect for the issue to get resolved you would need to work directly with the CL4 developers. I advise you to log an incident via https://corsair.secure.force.com/home/home.jsp and see what they say.

It's good that you have added your PC specs to your profile (many don't), but you should also should specify which CL hardware you have. If you have multiple CL devices does the issue go away if you unplug one of the USB cables?

I've signed up to these forums with the same problem. However, my CPU usage is much lower than that of the OP. My CPU stats show CL4 is the highest hog whilst the PC is idling - I see constant activity of around <5% CPU usage.

It's not causing any problems apart from my CPU frequency/voltage constantly ramping up and down whereas with CL3 my CPU spent most of its time at its lowest clock frequency during idle.

I see constant activity of around <5% CPU usage.

Given you have 8 CPUs then 5% is 40% of one CPU! This is really a different topic to using 100% of one CPU.

I just checked on my system the CL4 service uses 3.04% which as I have 24 CPUs is 73% of one CPU with an average CPU clock of 2.10GHz. There is also the CL4 GUI which uses 0.80% which is 19% so CL4 uses 92% in total.

As most would expect I use SIV to control my CL hardware and it only uses about 0.25% and all my CPUs stay at 1.20GHz. Looking at the internal thread statistics this is about 5% of one CPU and 3% of that is reporting my 4 x GTX 980. Note that SIV reports far more information about the GPUs than CL4. The CL hardware information is updated by the A-Link thread which uses maybe 1% of a CPU. SIV also correctly interlocks access to the CL hardware using the Global\Access_CorsairLink named mutex and can therefor safely control and report CL hardware at the same time as AIDA64 + HWiNFO report it :cool:.

Doing the sums CL4 uses ((73+19)*2.10)/(5*1.2) = 32 times as much as SIV :eek:. This seems to be about 50% more than CL3 used. I further find that CL4 is quite sluggish.

• SIV is a native x64 application and uses less CPU and memory resources than CL4. In my testing SIV typically uses about 5% of one CPU @ 1.20GHz and CL4 uses about 92% @ 2.10GHz which is about 30 times as much. I tested with 4 x CLCC + 1 x Cooling Node + 3 x Lighting Nodes + 1 x AX1500i + 1 x AX760i + 2 x RM PSU + 1 x H110iGT + 1 x H100i + 1 x H80iGT + 1 x H80 :eek:. I could not use 2 x Cooling Nodes as CL4 does not support the old Commander they are connected to :(:.
  • When I tested against CL3 SIV typically used about 4% of one CPU @ 1.30GHz and CL3 used about 70% @ 1.70GHz which is about 20 times as much. I tested with 4 x CLCC + 2 x Cooling Nodes + 3 x Lighting Nodes + 1 x AX1500i + 2 x RM PSU + 1 x H110iGT + 1 x H100i + 1 x H80iGT + 1 x H80 + 1 x old Link Commander :eek:.

• When started it CL4 takes 20 -> 30 seconds before all the hardware is reported on the home screen. This is far longer than it should be. SIV took 1.67 seconds so why does CL4 take over 10 times as long? CL4 log attached.
  • When I switch from [Home] to [Configure] it takes about 15 seconds when I have all my CL hardware connected. This is far longer than is acceptable.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24206&stc=1&d=1454594716

attachment.php?attachmentid=24208&stc=1&d=1454597058

attachment.php?attachmentid=24205&stc=1&d=1454593775

2073663147_SIVusing0.25-5.0ofoneCPU.png.5de357f8b51fb4cde8bb8098247dbe72.png

1319210550_CL4using3.04-73.0ofoneCPU.png.15006b9d5cd039e7b5f1e40812c71c7e.png

1088184765_SIVusing0.14-5.0ofoneCPU.png.e2531879f1dab2f4a3fa3d33cc713688.png

As a developer I suspect one of the 25 threads is spinning and using 25% which as you have a 4 CPU system is 100% of one CPU. Were it my system I would run PE (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396) and look at the thread properties to see if one thread was using 25% (100% of one CPU). Ideally post a screen shot.

This is exactly whats happening with the CorsairLink4 on my system.

At first it runs normal, but at some point, when I look at the task manager, one CPU (it's random which one) is at 100% all the time.

Only when I close the program over the tray icon, the values go back to normal.

I was hoping the CorsairLink4 would finally fix the "red flashing error" of the H100iGTX Temp Fan...

And I really liked the new overview, but if it's causing to much cpu-usage it's not worth it.

Hi all,

Just FYI, I reported this issue to our dev team and they'll investigate what's causing this. I'll give you an update as soon as I get one.

Which issue? The thread spinning and using 100% or that fact the CL4 uses 30 times as much CPU time as SIV for what I see as no good reason?

For CL4 to use 50% more CPU resources than CL3 is to say the least rather poor :confused:

Just reporting this to your dev team gives them little if any chance of finding the cause of the spin. You need to ask those with the issue to use Windows Task Manager and do Create Dump File and provide them with details of a FTP site for them to upload it to. I advice those with the issue to do this anyway, open a ticket and attach the zipped dump file. I just generated CorsairLink4.Service.zip @ 65.5MB so attaching it is not possible.

If anyone ever gets this issue with SIV below shows how to do this. Just zip the generated dump file and e-mail the SIV64X.zip @ 40.6MB to me so I can use WINDBG to isolate where is issue is. You need to specify the exact SIV version number so I know which set of .PDB files I need to use. I suspect as usual there will be a SIV Beta to address the issue within a few days.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24293&stc=1&d=1455178034

174777133_GenerateCrashFiles.png.dc8b75de7fd7c6ec1c4ed43b548b2e2f.png

Thanks red-ray!

Those in this thread who are having this issue, could you create a dump file and either attach it to this thread or PM me with the attachment and I'll send that over to the devs. If the file exceeds the size limit, I suggest creating a Dropbox or Google Drive link and PM that to me.

Thank you.

Here is my dump

I suspect it would help the CL4 developers if you used PE to get the ID of the spinning thread before generating the dump. There are 31 threads and knowing which one to look at would make the analysis easier. Include a screen shot similar to as below with the spinning thread selected.

The CL4 developers would be sensible to do RaiseException( MS_VC_EXCEPTION, ... ) to set the thread names as I do in SIV which is why PE shows them for SIV64X.

Thread 1088 using 1.20 % is excessive as this is 28.8 % of one CPU and needs to be addressed. This is with just a CLCC + AX1500i and I suspect if I powered up all my CL hardware it would use even more.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24333&stc=1&d=1455438542attachment.php?attachmentid=24331&stc=1&d=1455436859

attachment.php?attachmentid=24332&stc=1&d=1455437541

1204334647_UsePEtogettheIDofthespinningthread.png.56a2b63f994e5f46b4bbdac499f6d621.png

1756173534_PEShowingtheSIV64Xthreads.png.0a0fa9bef37680f058d928897bd06126.png

1317830748_PEShowingtheCL4servicethreads.thumb.png.1d714dad18c2c4cf10e57fa8f68a82f2.png

OK next time when it starts high CPU usage i will do it.

I made screen shots of task manager at the moment of high CPU usage, but did not uploaded them because i doubt that they will help.

Here is the usage which shows 13% (4 core CPU with hyperthreading)

http://i67.tinypic.com/4jpzj7.png

Here it shows that it only use one thread

http://i64.tinypic.com/21b0so7.png

I am not programming guru but as i see it the problem is that the service do something with cpuidsdk.dll which uses one thread to 100%.

That looks almost ideal and should be easy enough to find provided Corsair have their .PDB + the CPUID SDK .PDB files.

Next time select the thread that is using 100% of a CPU so it's total CPU etc. gets displayed at the bottom. It would also be good to widen the columns/panel so all the numbers are visible and there are no ...s.

I'm having the same issue...

http://i.imgur.com/L2w01GP.png

If I click the folder icon at the bottom of the screen where your files are displayed, my computer will freeze for 10 seconds and the mouse will become very laggy... it even crashed MSI Afterburner when the computer froze

I'm having the same issue...
Those in this thread who are having this issue, could you create a dump file and either attach it to this thread or PM me with the attachment and I'll send that over to the devs. If the file exceeds the size limit, I suggest creating a Dropbox or Google Drive link and PM that to me.

If you want it fixed post the PE screen shot and zipped dump file as just saying you have the issue gives the CL4 developers no real chance of fixing it.

It's good you posted to this thread rather than create a new one.

What I do is keep the service disabled, and only use it when I need it

Type "services" into run > right click "Corsair Link 4" and press properties > switch from manual to disabled > right click again and press stop

It's not ideal but it'll stop the cpu issue... And when you need it again do the same process and switch from disabled to manual and start the service

I have this same exact problem, but i can seem to replicate it somehow. Apparently if you try to transfer a huge file 5gb+ to another hdd, this full load on one core will occur. Try to do that and i'm sure you can replicate it. As you can tell it stems from the service.

http://i.imgur.com/oj9kY9A.png

What I do is keep the service disabled, and only use it when I need it

Type "services" into run > right click "Corsair Link 4" and press properties > switch from manual to disabled > right click again and press stop

It's not ideal but it'll stop the cpu issue... And when you need it again do the same process and switch from disabled to manual and start the service

When you disable this service Corsair Link stops getting information about temperatures related to the motherboard and motherboard connected fans so this fix is not a fix.

I have this same exact problem, but i can seem to replicate it somehow. Apparently if you try to transfer a huge file 5gb+ to another hdd, this full load on one core will occur. Try to do that and i'm sure you can replicate it. As you can tell it stems from the service.

The problem have nothing to do with large file transfer, it happens at least twice a day and it has something to do with getting temperature and fan information from the motherboard using CPUID SDK (cpuidsdk.dll).

When I said fix, I ment a fix to the cpu usage

Of course stopping the service stops Corsair Link from getting information, but it'll at least stop the massive cpu usage

That's why I said it's "not ideal", because you have to re enable the service every time you want to use it

Of course stopping the service stops Corsair Link from getting information, but it'll at least stop the massive cpu usage

Stopping and starting the service seems the wrong way to do this to me. Can't you just exit the CL4 GUI via the icon tray as this should implicitly stop the service? To get CL4 back running you just start the GUI again.

Stopping and starting the service seems the wrong way to do this to me. Can't you just exit the CL4 GUI via the icon tray as this should implicitly stop the service? To get CL4 back running you just start the GUI again.

Not sure, honestly never tried it

Edit: yup that works too, probably easier than my method

Archived