Corsair Community

Returning two K70 RGB keyboards.

OmniBlue

I am returning the two RGB keyboards I ordered. One I ordered for my personal use the second I ordered for my daughter as a birthday gift.

I per-ordered from Amazon and the keyboards arrived on Sept 10. I opened mine right away and set out playing with it. The software was confusing to use but I took to the Internet and after watching a few tutorials I was on my way.

Most of my issues were with light profiles to applying, even the profiles I downloaded that worked for the folks that made them were hit or miss for me. I even had to switch out they keyboard for the one the K70 RGB replaced because the K70 started lagging out.

The keyboard I ordered for my daughter wouldn't even work on her computer (and yes it has USB 2.0). She was content to keep the keyboard at first because it was still lit up red and she was willing to give Corsair a little time to push an update to possibly fix her issue. Then she had 5 different keys stop working in the middle of game while playing with her friends.

My current keyboard is a Corsair Vengeance k95 and she is using a Logitech G19. To say it was a nice upgrade for her to only be disappointed with by poor performance is an understatement.

I based my purchase off of two things. My experience with the K95 and the fact the k70 RGB was delayed by at least a month to 'meet the high standards' Corsair demands of themselves and their customers have come to expect. If these are the standards that the delay brought the keyboard up to then I have to say poor form. For ~$160 I'm not going to beta test your software and run the risk of the keyboard actually being defective past the return period.

I really wanted to love this keyboard. Color me 16.5 million shades of disappointed.

It was with the software installed. I unplugged the keyboard and plugged it back in: pass through first then keyboard then vice versa. I rebooted the computer and the 5 key still didn't work. I exited the software and it started working again. I re-opened the software and it stopped working, even switched profiles and it wouldn't work. So I remapped the 5 key to the 5 key and that work around fixed it (this is the 5 on the numeric keypad).

For my daughter since her keyboard would only function as a basic keyboard with red back-lighting as soon as her keys stopped responding she unhooked the keyboard and was done. I don't blame her.

Its unfortunate you are impatient and cant learn to work with the software.

Yes, the software has its bugs, but overall its one of the most complex and detailed programs in terms of putting a light show on. What did you expect? Plug and play? Should have just gotten a regular red K70.

This is the software that's going to open the doors to key board lighting effects.

Corsair should have marketed this keyboard to advanced users only, and waited till they had a couple of pre set profiles that they could hand out to people to choose from.

Or hey, how about this, next firmware update; include the rainbow wave as the preset so people see it works fine.

Its unfortunate you are impatient and cant learn to work with the software.

Yes, the software has its bugs, but overall its one of the most complex and detailed programs in terms of putting a light show on. What did you expect? Plug and play? Should have just gotten a regular red K70.

This is the software that's going to open the doors to key board lighting effects.

Corsair should have marketed this keyboard to advanced users only, and waited till they had a couple of pre set profiles that they could hand out to people to choose from.

Or hey, how about this, next firmware update; include the rainbow wave as the preset so people see it works fine.

This is ridiculous. This product is marketed towards the gamer demographic with no set "You must be this tall" to use this keyboard.

Ultimately the main issue with the software is usability and interface design. It's a mess and needs to be revamped to allow quick profile changes and easier changes to the lighting while allowing for more complex lighting setups once the API comes out.

Not sure why you need to call somebody impatient or blame them for what is essentially a product that did not meet reasonable expectations at this price point. When you charge 169 dollars for a keyboard it better work out of the box.

the software is such garbage. i can't even boot up FFXIV without closing the software completely from task manager and then flipping the bios switch all the way to the left and back to the right.

also, the brightness on the keyboard is atrocious. the only respectable amount of lumens you get from the keyboard is if there's a rainbow pattern going across it at all times which frankly is a little boring. they REALLY should not have mounted the LED in the switch housing.

This is ridiculous. This product is marketed towards the gamer demographic with no set "You must be this tall" to use this keyboard.

Ultimately the main issue with the software is usability and interface design. It's a mess and needs to be revamped to allow quick profile changes and easier changes to the lighting while allowing for more complex lighting setups once the API comes out.

Not sure why you need to call somebody impatient or blame them for what is essentially a product that did not meet reasonable expectations at this price point. When you charge 169 dollars for a keyboard it better work out of the box.

the software is such garbage. i can't even boot up FFXIV without closing the software completely from task manager and then flipping the bios switch all the way to the left and back to the right.

also, the brightness on the keyboard is atrocious. the only respectable amount of lumens you get from the keyboard is if there's a rainbow pattern going across it at all times which frankly is a little boring. they REALLY should not have mounted the LED in the switch housing.

The keyboard was released officially 1 week ago, if you want a better program or a new firmware that fixes the current issues you need to give them TIME. 1 week is not enough to do any of that unless they do a rush job which will make nobody happy.

The keyboard was released officially 1 week ago, if you want a better program or a new firmware that fixes the current issues you need to give them TIME. 1 week is not enough to do any of that unless they do a rush job which will make nobody happy.

sorry but, didn't they already delay the keyboard by at least 1.5 months and then claim it was to make sure they didn't deliver a rushed product? if they don't want negative reactions from consumers they should've held it back some more. clearly they have to do that anyway since they've pulled both amazon and newegg's listings.

also logitech's g19 keyboard is also RGB, yes it's not mechanical nor does it support per-key lighting, however the software is 50 times better.

that said i'll be going back to my k70 with red leds.

You can't blame the customer for being upset when a product doesn't work as promised. I know how they feel. My Silver/Blue K70 messed up on me twice.

sorry but, didn't they already delay the keyboard by at least 1.5 months and then claim it was to make sure they didn't deliver a rushed product? if they don't want negative reactions from consumers they should've held it back some more. clearly they have to do that anyway since they've pulled both amazon and newegg's listings.

also logitech's g19 keyboard is also RGB, yes it's not mechanical nor does it support per-key lighting, however the software is 50 times better.

Well, there are way too many different hardware pieces for a PC. They simply can't try everything out there, there will surely be difficult configurations and all that need to be debugged/checked more.

I made the choice to wait a few months until those things get ironed out instead of purchasing it right away :)

They are still selling it on newegg.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAjwpcGfBRDni__JqrTIqx4SJAB9BpSOX2KzoOZW3Z6oIaVc2xmBySrsCdlOxFdM1Vu1M0sQExoCVXLw_wcB&Item=N82E16823816022&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Keyboards-_-N82E16823816022&ef_id=U9W9mAAABEMizIQh:20140817143154:s

It's unfortunate that the software is not working to everyone's standards. I've been using Corsair mice and the K70 keyboard for some time and they all had software issues when they were released, but Corsair eventually fixed things.

Corsair is one of only a handful of companies that cater to PC enthusiasts and gamers. I believe Corsair is really trying to produce high quality products that are designed to go the distance. For effort they deserve an A, but sometimes things happen.

But like someone mentioned earlier there are so many PC configurations out there, it must be a challenge to come up with one size fits all.

Maybe the first mistake Corsair made was mentioning, or showing, the K70 RGB to start with. It primed everyone's desires, and then when they announced a release date it got everyone's hopes set to high. It then became a damned if they do, or damned if they don't situation as to when to release the RGB.

I have a Silver/Blue K70 that has worked perfectly for a year and a half. Just recently the LEDs have started to go out, so I'll probably do a RMA shortly, but it's still a great keyboard none the less.

The K70 RGB seems to be an engineering marvel, with probably the most complicated software ever designed for a keyboard. Give it some time.

A clarification from Bill Rathbone, our person in charge of software development:

I want to clarify an error in the original "statement" above.

The software that was released 6/8 is not a "beta." This release, which was build number 657 (which should tell you something) was tested for many weeks before it was made live. All critical issues that had been identified by our extended test team were fixed and verified.

Like with any complex software, there are going to be opportunities for improvement. And it will improve. The next release comes later this month, and there will be many more to follow.

I ask for your patience, and hope you will work with us to make the software that works with our gaming hardware the best in the business.

Bill Rathbone

also, the brightness on the keyboard is atrocious. the only respectable amount of lumens you get from the keyboard is if there's a rainbow pattern going across it at all times which frankly is a little boring.

I am really surprised by this statement. I have found the K70 RGB to have the brightest lighting of all the keyboards I have used to date - mechanical or otherwise. Even my wife commented that my K70 RGB bathes my whole room in light.

I am really surprised by this statement. I have found the K70 RGB to have the brightest lighting of all the keyboards I have used to date - mechanical or otherwise. Even my wife commented that my K70 RGB bathes my whole room in light.

the brightness is just about right imo... the monoprice kb I had before this was VERY bright.. the red lit my whole office at night. the RGB has a little less intensity as my blue/silver k70 - but it's fine.

A clarification from Bill Rathbone, our person in charge of software development:

Improving the software is great and all, but are there any plans for the lighting effects to be stored to the keyboard so that we can use them on computers without the CUE software? If not I might as well return it, because 90% of the time I will be using it without the option of having the software installed.

• 6 months later...
Wish I could return mine, but I threw away the packaging after a couple of weeks. I had no idea a keyboard could be causing all the problems I was having. Computer hanging during boot, and steam connect issues. I am a big fan of Corsair products, but this purchase I regret. Paid 250 for a mouse and keyboard that's collecting dust in the garage.

Wish I could return mine, but I threw away the packaging after a couple of weeks. I had no idea a keyboard could be causing all the problems I was having. Computer hanging during boot, and steam connect issues. I am a big fan of Corsair products, but this purchase I regret. Paid 250 for a mouse and keyboard that's collecting dust in the garage.

Contact Corsair and ask for a refund and tell them you dont have a box, im pretty sure they will take it back.

Archived