Corsair Community

Custom build ONE!

MyPC8MyBrain

hello everyone :)

it has been a while that ive been eyeballing Corsair ONE,

i wasn't sure which unit i wanted to get as they most desirable unit was unavailable for some time on amazon i decide to just build my own,

this is a custom build of Corsair ONE of 1 in the world atm :)

ASUS z390

Intel Core i9-9900K

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

32GB DDR4-4133

2 x 1TB NVME SSD in Raid 0 configuration

2TB SSD

the system is up and running smoothly with current score on Cinebench of 1925 running stock with no overclocking yet,

the only issues i am unsure about atm and could use some expert advice on where i went wrong as im sure it is my own doing,

unless the fan on the top is static (which i doubt it is) i am not getting any fan control; its running at a static speed at all times,

i know there should be some speed control; the fan was spinning slower before and since i did a bios clear it speed up but still is static,

i am guessing there is some control maybe via PSU plugs?

if so which one is it?

i tried to install iCUE; but it doesn't see the fans or can control any of them,

i also installed Link and that as well didn't see fans,

than i found the post here pointing to ONE Link; but that refuses to install,

im guessing its looking for MSI?

appreciate any advice you guys can thinks of that i might overlooked,

here a visual of my build,

IMG-6218.jpg

IMG-6223.jpg

Custom-ONE.jpg

Edited by MyPC8MyBrain

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice one!

so basically you are probably going to have to forget about the Corsair software & find something that will allow you to set a custom curve from TWO inputs. I *think* speedfan will allow this (I don't know any other software that even might...)

On the plus side, you will of found things like speedfan would not detect the C1's controllers because it would interfere with the Corsair software. It should detect fine on the new motherboard.

hello everyone :)

it has been a while that ive been eyeballing Corsair ONE,

i wasn't sure which unit i wanted to get as they most desirable unit was unavailable for some time on amazon i decide to just build my own,

this is a custom build of Corsair ONE of 1 in the world atm :)

ASUS z390

Intel Core i9-9900K

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

32GB DDR4-4133

2 x 1TB NVME SSD in Raid 0 configuration

2TB SSD

the system is up and running smoothly with current score on Cinebench of 1925 running stock with no overclocking yet,

the only issues i am unsure about atm and could use some expert advice on where i went wrong as im sure it is my own doing,

unless the fan on the top is static (which i doubt it is) i am not getting any fan control; its running at a static speed at all times,

i know there should be some speed control; the fan was spinning slower before and since i did a bios clear it speed up but still is static,

i am guessing there is some control maybe via PSU plugs?

if so which one is it?

i tried to install iCUE; but it doesn't see the fans or can control any of them,

i also installed Link and that as well didn't see fans,

than i found the post here pointing to ONE Link; but that refuses to install,

im guessing its looking for MSI?

appreciate any advice you guys can thinks of that i might overlooked,

here a visual of my build,

IMG-6218.jpg

IMG-6223.jpg

Wow very nice! Can you possible do a guide for how to reach things and maybe process itsell? I think it will be a nice help to a lot of corsair one owners!!!

• Corsair Employee

Good job on swapping out the board. The short answer to your iCUE problem is not because of the MSI board you have swapped out. The CORSAIR ONE you have never use iCUE to begin with. If you want to use iCUE with any fan, you need our Commander Pro, which won't fit in the CORSAIR ONE.

Since you have installed a custom board, just use the BIOS to configure the fan.

For others reading this, swapping out the motherboard is NOT exactly "easy". There are a lot of cables you need to account for, and the board will fit in fairly tight. Any customer induced damage will not be covered under our warranty so please keep that in mind when you are attempting this.

Edited by Corsair StormShadow

Good job on swapping out the board. The short answer to your iCUE problem is not because of the MSI board you have swapped out. The CORSAIR ONE you have never use iCUE to begin with. If you want to use iCUE with any fan, you need our Commander Pro, which won't fit in the CORSAIR ONE.

Since you have installed a custom board, just use the BIOS to configure the fan.

For others reading this, swapping out the motherboard is NOT exactly "easy". There are a lot of cables you need to account for, and the board will fit in fairly tight. Any customer induced damage will not be covered under our warranty so please keep that in mind when you are attempting this.

Thank you for the comment. My Corsair is not working anyway so I’ll give it a try. Btw what do you think may affected my system I having video artifacts all the time all over my monitor and even if I boot to BIOS?

Thank you StormShadow <3

i tried that but its a no go the z390i due to the way the pumps are daisy chained only 12v arrives at the 4 pin cpu chassis connector,

no tach or pwm i can plug, im not even sure how asus is figuring out rpm off the pumps 12v, if i dont plug that i get a bogus error during startup about the cpu fan missing,

im going to try two things, one is to bridge a tach or pwm off another switch,

or connect the original m.2 drive which is still in tact as i never even fired up the original system and look for the extracted Link software that shipped with the original build to see if i can reuse it, it must have the logic in it to interact with Corsair's hardware,

For others reading this, swapping out the motherboard is NOT exactly "easy".

that is true!

easy is relative and in this case its specifically from my prospective; not as in general skill level required for this,

yes the board is sitting with only 4 screws but to get to them is not simple task and requires allot of patience and skill; especially when moving connectors from one board to another one needs to know how to read board diagrams etc...!

not recommended for the faint of heart among us,

as i mentioned i have extensive hands on experience so for me interacting with this process of swapping was a walk in the park,

with that experience and confidence i have...

it still was a very dark park at night and i was on my own the whole time :P

Edited by MyPC8MyBrain

anyone here with a working retail ONE system?

i need little help from anyone with a working Corsair ONE system,

i am stuck atm with a missing value that is in the registry of a retail unit,

i need to know the name of the board as it appears under this registry hive if anyone can post this would be of great assist getting the system stable with fan control,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS

under this hive there a key named "SystemProductName"

im stuck atm guessing the value of that key if anyone can share this value it would be of great help,

TIA

Chris

anyone here with a working retail ONE system?

i need little help from anyone with a working Corsair ONE system,

i am stuck atm with a missing value that is in the registry of a retail unit,

i need to know the name of the board as it appears under this registry hive if anyone can post this would be of great assist getting the system stable with fan control,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS

under this hive there a key named "SystemProductName"

im stuck atm guessing the value of that key if anyone can share this value it would be of great help,

TIA

Chris

String: SystemProductName

Value data: CORSAIR ONE

Note caps as above.

Dave

YaY \ o / Dave W00T

cant thank you enough man i was actively searching and trying to figure this reg key out when your response alert came in,

i was running out of options and was ready to drive to the local store and snoop in their display model to see what that key was :o

thanks to your input i dont have to do this now,

as soon as i plugged in the right value you posted above i was good to go,

this allowed me to update LINK for my custom ONE since it refused to install on my build,

that reg bit solved it and allowed the installer to do its thing on its own,

Dave Thank you again, you saved my day and my Custom ONE build!

which is now complete and is Rocking a solid fan ramping as needed <3

Custom-ONE.jpg

Edited by MyPC8MyBrain

Thank you for the comment. My Corsair is not working anyway so I’ll give it a try. Btw what do you think may affected my system I having video artifacts all the time all over my monitor and even if I boot to BIOS?

Most likely the pcie ribbon cable :(

'Easy' is relative. I've removed the motherboard, and put it back in in mine (to add an nvme drive)

Was it 'easy'? - well yes. But it was also WAY tougher than any computer i've ever work on before, by an order of magnitudes. I build systems regularly, i have modded them, build custom chassis plates, run sub zero cooling systems etc. It's not a task I would repeat for no reason (unlike just about every other system i've ever owned.)

There are a lot of connectors, make sure you photograph them.

I just did an upgrade like this with an 8600k and an Asrock Z390 that is going pretty well so far. Upgraded the ram to Corsair LPX 3000, removed the 2.5" drive, and added a 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo to go along with the Samsung OEM drive Corsair had in the One originally for 1.5 TB of NVME storage.

My only issues are figuring out where the top fan connects to so I can reconnect it to a header on the motherboard to better control it's speed and figuring out the pin out of the RGB header as I forgot to look at it when I took it off the MSI board and I don't want to blow out the header on the AsRock board.

Does anyone know the pin out of that cable? It has two white wires, two black, and one has a gray dot on the heatshrink? That or does anyone have a picture of it connected to their board where I can see the silkscreen on the pinout?

@mnetting

i dont get the confusion, you have one rgb header on your new board and one on the old board, does it matter where it was before?

this is where it was on the z270 which you can also find if you pull up z270 manual,

plug this to the same rgb header on the z390, it makes no difference if you plug it backwards it wont blow up your board or your rgb; just swap it around,

beside i think it will work in either direction,

IMG-6094.jpg

you should also note that the plugs on rgb header are different and wont plug into any other board plug accept the rgb header,

look closer and you will note these are the only connectors that are round and narrow vs the other fan etc rectangular shaped prongs and headers,

Edited by MyPC8MyBrain

• 4 weeks later...