Corsair Community

280X / H100i Fan Config

LarrySinNJ

I have a new build in a 280x with an H100i and 4 LL120 fans set up as follows:

• Two LL120s sit up against the front panel as intake attached to the H100 radiator behind it (and closer to the motherboard).

• The other two LL120s are at the top of the case as exhaust.

I've seen a number of configs that have the radiator at the top, but I am concerned that the cable for the 2X4 ATX connector (which is routed through the space at the top of the case) may get in the way. My Micro-ATX mobo blocks two of the three cable management pass-throughs in the midsection of the case.

Is my setup correct/optimal??

My 280 is set with the cooler at the top. I prefer having extra space in the front for full length GPUs without touching the rad. When you mount the H100i to the top there is still enough space (just) for the CPU connector to come through. That's how I have it setup.

However I think your current setup is considered the more optimal setup as it should better cool the rad. It just depends on if you want that little bit of extra clearance for longer GPUs or not (this isn't entirely necessary, it just is kind of annoying for anything longer than 310 - and in my opinion can look less pleasant with any card over 290 in length)

[snip]

However I think your current setup is considered the more optimal setup as it should better cool the rad. It just depends on if you want that little bit of extra clearance for longer GPUs or not (this isn't entirely necessary, it just is kind of annoying for anything longer than 310 - and in my opinion can look less pleasant with any card over 290 in length)

I have a short card - 225mm.

In that case I think you are all good. In general, rad on the intake is more optimal as it will pull in cool air - passing over your rad and cooling it. The exhaust takes the warmer air inside the case, pulling it out through the rad. It won't be super mega significant unless you're very into maximal overclocking.

Since you have a short card, I would leave it on the front and consider adding fans behind the rad as well (ie 2x fans in front of rad, 2x fans behind, all directing air out of the case) - this can result in even better cooling. The short card means you should have plenty of room for this :)

In that case I think you are all good. In general, rad on the intake is more optimal as it will pull in cool air - passing over your rad and cooling it. The exhaust takes the warmer air inside the case, pulling it out through the rad. It won't be super mega significant unless you're very into maximal overclocking.

Since you have a short card, I would leave it on the front and consider adding fans behind the rad as well (ie 2x fans in front of rad, 2x fans behind, all directing air out of the case) - this can result in even better cooling. The short card means you should have plenty of room for this :)

You can't do that on the 280X. Depending on the card and how hot it gets, you can, however, add additional intake in the bottom.

You can't do that on the 280X. Depending on the card and how hot it gets, you can, however, add additional intake in the bottom.

Is there really not enough room for a push/pull config? I know it would take some proper routing of wiring as the fan would make it pretty tight for the cable management as that opening would become slightly blocked - surely not enough to prevent this setup? Is there not enough clearance regardless of GPU length?

edit: see image. This seems possible?...

https://img.purch.com/r/711x457/aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS83L0wvODA3NjgxL29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDgzLmpwZw==

For reference, the GPU in the above image is 267mm in length. OP's is 225. Am I missing something?

Archived