Corsair Community

SSD Reconditioning (Mac)

papercut

Hi,

I'm using P128 with my 13" MacBook Pro. As Samsung doesn't offer user firmware update (yet?), who knows when or if my SSD will ever have garbage collection (I have the older firmware without GC support, and even if I did it won't work on a HFS+ volume anyways) or TRIM support (I understand the Mac OS does not yet support TRIM, but hopefully it will in the future). Also, it seems there's no easy way to restore the SSD's optimal performance on a Mac as tools discussed here such as HDDerase only work in Windows.

This guy, however, states that by filling a SSD several times(Intel X25 M in this case), it restores write performance.

http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-SSD-Reconditioning.html

I thought SSD write performance decreases as it gets full and also as more files are deleted. The above article seems to contradict this.

Comments? Would this method work to restore write speeds on the Corsair P128?

Also, if Samsung/Corsair ever make firmware updates available to users of the P series (as recent posts here have suggested as possibly becoming a reality), please make it Mac compatible!

• Corsair Employee
I have no way to verify that would work on your system, but you can use some software to create an image of the drive on another drive then delete the partition using Disk Manager then let it recreate is Quick format the drive then put the image back on the drive. I would suggest using WinXP or Vista and use Accronics to image it, but you would need to test the image on another drive before you delete the drive.

I have no way to verify that would work on your system, but you can use some software to create an image of the drive on another drive then delete the partition using Disk Manager then let it recreate is Quick format the drive then put the image back on the drive. I would suggest using WinXP or Vista and use Accronics to image it, but you would need to test the image on another drive before you delete the drive.

Thanks for your reply, Ram Guy.

Question: when I quick format the drive, are deleted blocks on the SSD "refreshed" or does it still have data on it that the OS doesn't see but the SSD controller do?

FWIW, if you want to clone your Mac drive using OSX software, I highly recommend either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. I suppose Time Machine should work, too, but I've only done a partial restore from Time Machine once whereas I've cloned using SD and CCC many times with no problems.

Regarding, the quick format suggestion, I have yet to try and "refresh" my P128 on my Macbook since it's still performing fine after 2 months. So I don't know if that would work on a Mac. I'm very interested to know how I should refresh my SSD on a Mac (I do have a PC if I must go that route; but I'd prefer to use my Mac and not need to rip the SSD out of my laptop).

• Corsair Employee
I would only do that if the performance starts to degrade. But I suspect Apple may have adopted SSD technology and may have included utilities to address common issues as I do not see many if any complaining about that on a MAC.

• 11 months later...
  • Corsair Employee

Good question but It may be better to post that on the Mac forum.

And I think it will vary with the drive you use I would expect the Performance Series to perform best with a MAC as they do not support TRIM and the Garbage Collection on Samsung Drives seem to work best

Archived