The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 06:05 PM
LaRSin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 487309
LaRSin Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammorth View Post
Those presets are for up-converting stereo to 5.1 or 7.1. The idea is that your games should play in 5.1 or 7.1 already. As well, "gaming headset" usually refers to headphones with an attached mic.
you have to use EQ for games , no presets??

Old 02-02-2011, 06:28 AM

POST ID # = 487408
safe10 Reputation: 10

i dont use any presets i just use bass eq and a little mid and treble. set the headset to either stereo, 5.1, 7.1 and your good to go, forget about all the virtual dolby, 7.1 crap that makes you sound like your set in the bath, when youve set it go look on you tube for 5.1 or 7.1 sound tests theres a few on there that show you that you are getting the correct sound, ive gone from hating these hs1s to loving em, after no help from corsair cause they are a waste of space when it comes to customer service, in the end it was igl007 who helped solve the mic problem, cheers m8.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:04 PM

POST ID # = 487424
csemoses Reputation: 10

i agree with safe10. Dont use the virtual stuff that makes it sound like you're in a bathroom. Terrible really.

Using it in 7.1 mode though makes it sound GREAT.

Thanks again, igl007, you saved this product for me!

Old 02-05-2011, 03:36 AM

POST ID # = 487793
igl007 Reputation: 10

Glad I could contribute and help!

Old 02-05-2011, 03:30 PM

POST ID # = 487821
Ralphie36 Reputation: 10

Can we assume all efforts to modify drivers for the HS1 have now been abandoned? Has Corsair backed off work on driver requests because one diligent user (thanks igl007) provided a temporary workaround? Customer Service. Anybody remember what that is?

Meanwhile, I've enjoyed Corsair products for years with little complaints so when I finally decided to drop more than a couple bucks on a decent headset but I must say that I'm disappointed so far with my experience and with what I've read in the HS1 forums here. I'm wishing now I'd read these before my purchase.

I'm glad igl007's workaround is good for most folks. My results were marginal. Yes, it increased my mic volume some but the mic still doesn't have the power of my cheap headphones and I still have complaints of 'muffled' and 'too quiet' from gaming buddies. This shouldn't be the case with a headset costing 5 times the cheap stuff with the build quality of these units.

At this point the different results we're all getting is obviously due to the varied sound card hardware we're punching our HS1s into. I've not seen a 'compatibility list' from Corsair for the HS1 so for those few that have posted here:

What's your hardware setup? Are you using on-board sound? Sound Card? What type? Feedback from anyone that used igl007's settings and got great results would be nice.

Another for the Corsair folks:
If you're not working the driver issues because you can't duplicate the problem in the lab then what's your setup?

Thanks all!

Old 02-05-2011, 04:42 PM

POST ID # = 487828

Ralphie, do you have an HS1 or HS1A?
I dont see a single post by you in this thread saying 'hey i bought this and have problems, help!' earlier...

Did you try calling corsair, see what their support has to say? or emailing?

maybe you DO need to RMA your headset if it's still muffled / quiet after making the changes?

what are you talking about soundcard hardware? this is a USB headset, with it's own soundcard built in, assuming you're using the HS1. It has nothing AFAIK to do with your soundcard, even if you DO have one installed. HS1A is another matter obviously.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:06 PM

POST ID # = 487853

csemoses, thanks for such a quick reaction.

"do you have an HS1 or HS1A?" It's the HS1 as in my post.

"Did you try calling corsair..."
Calling, emailing, etc. seemed to me redundant since I have the same problem as others that are posting here (and elsewhere) and Corsair seems to be watching.

"maybe you DO need to RMA..."
I read through all the posts but I could've missed it. I don't remember a post where anyone tried the settings change, didn't get good results, RMAed, tried the settings again and everything was super (I did see posts about RMAs prior to the changes). I'll RMA when it looks like no software solution is coming.

Regarding soundcard hardware. You're correct that it shouldn't make a difference but I've seen posts elsewhere where folks have gotten varied results based on their sound hardware for some odd reason, thus my question. I knew it made no sense when I asked it. However, I'm also curious what impact/compatibility issues could be cause by differing MBs.

Side note: On another site one user's solution was high quality cans with a clip-on mic. He got his gain slider back and kept the HS1 sound quality. Not a great solution but it's a solution. I'm trying it tonight. Meanwhile I'll stand by for a Corsair software solution.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:55 PM

POST ID # = 487880

i'd wait for corsair. Although, I guess the question is, how long can you wait? I didnt wait with mine, and it turned out that it appears that I spent $22.50 on shipping cmopleted needlessly. Thanks corsair!

... I'm sure they are working on a solution, even though they are being quiet about it.

... if they start commenting, then it just starts assumptions, and suppositions, etc. etc. and the place will go nuts. Better to be quiet and find a solution, I guess.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:25 PM

POST ID # = 487917

There are probably several factors at work here but get this fellas...

I decided to give this thing one more try with some more experimentation (done way too much already). I uninstalled EVERYTHING Corsair, disabled on-board sound, re-installed the Corsair drivers as posted on this site (was running the drivers that came with the HS1s previously...same versions but I thought, 'what the hey...I'll do it anyway'), implemented igl007's suggested settings and cranked up my gaming comms again. My gaming buddies said the muffle was gone, clarity had returned. I still don't have superb volume as with my 15 dollar cheapos (I miss my gain slider Corsair!), but this all saved me from going the clip-on mic way for too long (which I did try with success of course).

Still standing by for software upgrades.

Cheers. I'm out.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:48 PM

POST ID # = 487945

Ralphie, sounds like you didn't do something right the first couple times you tried what you just did with success. Maybe you had onboard enabled or something. I dunno...

glad it's usable now though!

and uh yeah, i'm waiting for updated software too :)

Old 02-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 488284
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykp View Post
Would anyone have some instructions for making these adjustments in Window XP? I search from control panel to the Corsair software and still have these issues. I emailed Corsair, but they never responded, very disappointing.

Thanks
Use the link for TSX Express instead of email please.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:38 AM

POST ID # = 494368
safe10 Reputation: 10
Default It's working it's working

Had same problem with mic being crap try these settings and it should be fine
Don't thank me thank igloo. Corsair didn't help any one.
This is what igloo posted a few months back

Quote:
Originally Posted by igl007 View Post
Please don't flame me if this has already been reported/discussed as I am just trying to help. I just got the HS1 and had the same low audio on my mic. I have only tested this with skype's echo service and had positive results. Here is what i did:
Win7
--> Recording devices in windows
--> Properties on the mic
--> Enhancements tab
--> Checked Low Frequency Protection
--> Checked Loudness Equalization
--> Click Apply

It was MUCH louder for me after that.

Last edited by Wired; 03-20-2011 at 05:55 AM. Reason: fixed quote; merged

Old 03-20-2011, 08:21 AM
SyncError's PC Specs

POST ID # = 494395
SyncError Reputation: 10

I hope they release new drivers that fix the crackling, popping, and squealing.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:15 PM
pengox's PC Specs

POST ID # = 494418
pengox Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by igl007 View Post
Please don't flame me if this has already been reported/discussed as I am just trying to help. I just got the HS1 and had the same low audio on my mic. I have only tested this with skype's echo service and had positive results. Here is what i did:
Win7
--> Recording devices in windows
--> Properties on the mic
--> Enhancements tab
--> Checked Low Frequency Protection
--> Checked Loudness Equalization
--> Click Apply

It was MUCH louder for me after that.
Dude that fixed my mic problems!! thanks buddy!!!

I hope someone find how to fix the crackling sound problem with audio

Old 03-21-2011, 05:34 AM
SyncError's PC Specs

POST ID # = 494482
SyncError Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengox View Post
I hope someone find how to fix the crackling sound problem with audio
You need to install a PCI USB 2.0 or 3.0 controller to completely fix the crackling. It's pretty odd that Corsair can't replicate the problem at their office though. Fingers still crossed that we get an update