The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Lucius7x's PC Specs

POST ID # = 626620
Lucius7x Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
I'm just curious but have any of you tried the headset on a different PC at a different location?

I ask this because I have had quite a few number of people report to me that the nature of the noise was related to grounding issues with their electrical outlet. I want to confirm if they're isolated issues or related here. This was one of the reasons why even though we got many headsets back with the noise, we couldn't get it to repeat here in the lab, or why we would test it to work perfectly here but customers would get a "noisy" headset.
I tried it on 2 other machines, one with Win 7 x64 (i also tested a USB 3 port there, same issue), and on my old laptop with Win XP x32, same issue.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:30 AM
SChico's PC Specs

POST ID # = 626624
SChico Reputation: 18

Hello 8Ac3,

Thank you for posting your findings.

This exact behaviour was brought up in February 2012 by Deraios (http://forum.corsair.com/forums/show...1&postcount=41) in the (now defunct) tread I started back in December 2011.

This information didn’t get much attention then and seems to have been dismissed.

Thanks to you, the ball is rolling again.

I took the V1500 that I received from the last RMA and tested it (test of a previous headset as a reference: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/show...6&postcount=42).

I tested the headset at home on 2 custom-built PCs and a laptop on battery power, at work (different site) on a Lenovo ThinkStation S20, ThinkCenter E20. All computers were running either Windows 7 x86 or x64.

I can confirm that switching to the Microsoft driver and muting the Line option removes the constant self-noise (white noise) and the high pitched whine is almost inexistent when the mic is active. Like Lucius7x, I can still hear it, but I must really pay attention.

Of course, by doing this, Corsair panel is no longer accessible and we are stuck with a USB stereo headset.

I sincerely hope that this issue will finally get the attention it deserves and a fix implemented in the near future.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:18 PM
8Ac3's PC Specs

POST ID # = 626742
8Ac3 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SChico View Post
Hello 8Ac3,

Thank you for posting your findings.

This exact behaviour was brought up in February 2012 by Deraios (http://forum.corsair.com/forums/show...1&postcount=41) in the (now defunct) tread I started back in December 2011.

This information didn’t get much attention then and seems to have been dismissed.

Thanks to you, the ball is rolling again.

I took the V1500 that I received from the last RMA and tested it (test of a previous headset as a reference: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/show...6&postcount=42).

I tested the headset at home on 2 custom-built PCs and a laptop on battery power, at work (different site) on a Lenovo ThinkStation S20, ThinkCenter E20. All computers were running either Windows 7 x86 or x64.

I can confirm that switching to the Microsoft driver and muting the Line option removes the constant self-noise (white noise) and the high pitched whine is almost inexistent when the mic is active. Like Lucius7x, I can still hear it, but I must really pay attention.

Of course, by doing this, Corsair panel is no longer accessible and we are stuck with a USB stereo headset.

I sincerely hope that this issue will finally get the attention it deserves and a fix implemented in the near future.
Hi SChico,

To be fair it was your original thread that got me going on this in the first place so the thanks start with you. It's a shame really as I really loved my HS1's and I did really appreciate the upgrade to the 1500's when I RMA'd the HS1's, but it was just too much in the end and I received a set of 1300's today which I have spent the last 2 hours with. I have them paired up with a Xonar DG and I must say I am happy again as the combo works well.

In a way I don't know if this is an issue with a small number of devices, us who are susceptible to these frequencies, Corsair technical dudes or CMedia, who provide the USB soundcard tech and consequently the base drivers. but What I do know is that I am as disappointed with the 1500's as I was happy with the HS1's.

I must also say that outside of not receiving updated drivers Corsair have been very helpful, and a big thanks to the customer services department who assisted me with the return of the 1500's and replacement with the 1300's. After dealing with other organisations recently over loosely similar issues I must say that they have been more than helpful.

To anyone else who has a 1500 I wish you luck in getting the driver you deserve as truth be told, Corsair know how to build a kick *** headset. They just need the software to go with it.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:54 AM

POST ID # = 628355
Alex_Hamilton Reputation: 10

I'm glad someone posted this.
I have been doing this exact same thing for about 6 months now: Not use the corsair drivers and set the line volume to 0.
I wish that I had made a thread about this earlier.

I have tested this on 2 different computers and a laptop.
Windows 7 64-bit on one desktop and the laptop.
Windows Vista 32-bit on one desktop.
They all have a DPC latency of less than 250us with no spikes.
They all have the a white noise that gets louder with any program that uses the microphone.
The white noise disappears with the line muted without corsair drivers on all of the computers.
As a side note: I have also RMA'd my headset once before, because the volume buttons stopped working, and had this white noise issue on both headsets.

If there is any information I can provide or tests I can perform, I will gladly do it.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:00 PM
WallaceH's PC Specs

POST ID # = 628721
WallaceH Reputation: 10

Just got this headset through the post exact same issue when running and type of voice comm software very IRRITATING, thinking of getting a refund if i can and switching back to the LG35 had no issue with them in the past appart from the headset breaking apart at the earpieces a flaw i can live with. This hum i can not. If i have to do what you are saying to make the headset not hum it defeats the purpose of me paying so much money for this headset in the first place NO THANKYOU!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Thurios's PC Specs

POST ID # = 629231
Thurios Reputation: 10

Hey

Got my 1500 headset today and was very happy with the light but tight structure and voice quality. Headache started when i turned on my TS3 and was excited to test my mic quality. I asked my team members how did my new headset mic sound? I was expecting to get good feedback since my last mic was really rubbish but the result was opposite. They told my microphone had background buzzing sound on it. Then i checked it myself with microsoft soundrecord and yup there was constant deeb buzzing sound under my speech. The speech quality was superior compared to my ex microphone but the constant voice was worse than it was on my last low quality desk mic.

I was hoping alot more since i read good reviews about this product.

I have been reading through almost every thread about this white noise issue. I wonder if you others had also problems with the actual record audio or is it just my microphone?

I also have this common whitenoise sound activated everytime i turn on my TS3 or any other program that uses microphone. I'm hoping RAM Guy passes this post and possible solution ASAP to the tech group so we would get fixed drivers before i return my product.

I won't pay for 103€ for a headset that has this huge record and playback issue. I used to have 90€ 5.1 headset from another brand before and it was playing like a dream until my baby brother broke it.

EDIT:
I was wondering if the line in could be forced off from Windows registry? I don't have enough knowledge about windows registry but i'm aware of that there are plenty of options which can be run if the GUI is not showing them.

- Thurios

Last edited by Thurios; 01-25-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Pines's PC Specs

POST ID # = 629498
Pines Reputation: 10

Another interesting tidbit.

When using the basic Windows drivers, the whine is persistent if the audio quality is set to 44kHz or above. When using lower audio quality (tape or telephone preset) the whine is nearly non-existent.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:15 PM
8Ac3's PC Specs

POST ID # = 630406
8Ac3 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurios View Post
Hey

Got my 1500 headset today and was very happy with the light but tight structure and voice quality. Headache started when i turned on my TS3 and was excited to test my mic quality. I asked my team members how did my new headset mic sound? I was expecting to get good feedback since my last mic was really rubbish but the result was opposite. They told my microphone had background buzzing sound on it. Then i checked it myself with microsoft soundrecord and yup there was constant deeb buzzing sound under my speech. The speech quality was superior compared to my ex microphone but the constant voice was worse than it was on my last low quality desk mic.

I was hoping alot more since i read good reviews about this product.

I have been reading through almost every thread about this white noise issue. I wonder if you others had also problems with the actual record audio or is it just my microphone?

I also have this common whitenoise sound activated everytime i turn on my TS3 or any other program that uses microphone. I'm hoping RAM Guy passes this post and possible solution ASAP to the tech group so we would get fixed drivers before i return my product.

I won't pay for 103€ for a headset that has this huge record and playback issue. I used to have 90€ 5.1 headset from another brand before and it was playing like a dream until my baby brother broke it.

EDIT:
I was wondering if the line in could be forced off from Windows registry? I don't have enough knowledge about windows registry but i'm aware of that there are plenty of options which can be run if the GUI is not showing them.

- Thurios
I'll be honest, with all the issues I had I looked into this and spent quite some time looking at tweaking the registry and managed to find a registry value which gave me the option in the GUI for line in slider and mute. It didn't work though and neither did setting the values manually either.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:35 AM
Thurios's PC Specs

POST ID # = 630604
Thurios Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Ac3 View Post
I'll be honest, with all the issues I had I looked into this and spent quite some time looking at tweaking the registry and managed to find a registry value which gave me the option in the GUI for line in slider and mute. It didn't work though and neither did setting the values manually either.
Ahh too bad. Looks like another dead end to me. Thanks for your efforts.

It should be the Corsair Tech team looking for solutions to this huge scale issue, not the customers.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:07 PM

POST ID # = 633287
spad Reputation: 10

I'm getting the same issue.

Only when the mic is active I get the whine.

This happens with the Corsair drivers and the Microsoft drivers.

With the Microsoft drivers, if I change the quality to Tape recorder, the whine becomes almost unnoticeable, and the radio quality removes it entirely.

I've tried the headset on my laptop as well as my desktop with the same result.

I've also noticed that when you go into the CP sound settings, and if you go into playback -> speakers -> properties -> levels and unmute listen, you don't hear the whine.

I use voice a lot and this is getting ridiculous.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:54 PM
jingplusone's PC Specs

POST ID # = 634029
jingplusone Reputation: 10

I remember my old pair of headsets (Steel Series USB 7H) had a similar problem and disabling the Line In was also what got rid of the high pitched noise. I just received my 1500s today and was dismayed that it also had the high pitch noise but this time seemingly no way to get rid of it.

I hope this gets resolved soon. Sent in a ticket to tech support as well, guess I'll see what they have to say.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:32 PM

POST ID # = 634413
doesntmatter2 Reputation: 10

Put me down as another person with the high pitched whining problem, and this fix (which is not ideal as I lose access to features I've paid for) works for me.

Just to be clear, since from reading several threads about this issue it seems like if we aren't super explicit about the exact issue we are just told to RMA the headset:

When the microphone is active in any application (Windows Sound Recorder, Team Speak 3, even just the Recording tab of Sound settings, etc) I hear a high pitched whining sound in the speakers of the headset. The sound becomes much louder if I disable the microphone using the mic mute button on the line-in control box. It is not a high-pitched whining sound being played over the mic, so a suggestion to record myself in a certain application and see if it still occurs there (see this thread: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=115315) is missing the point.

I have tested the headset on two different systems: a desktop, and a laptop (both running on power from the wall and from a battery). Both are running Windows 7, and both present the problem as described above.

Removing the Corsair 1.1 drivers and consequently muting the Line option for the microphone in the Windows Sound settings manager eliminates the high pitched whining issue.

I got my headset yesterday after doing a lot of research (sadly, I didn't find my way to these forums before purchasing or I wouldn't have bothered). Honestly I'm extremely disappointed and at this stage feel very despondent about the possibility of this issue being fixed by Corsair and wish I could just return this headset and buy an alternative. I have read several threads that complain about this issue and they're constantly met with suggestions to RMA the headset, or that the issue doesn't really exist and is a 'myth' etc which frankly I find very disappointing as I've heard a lot of good things about Corsair customer service in the past.

Hopefully this thread and this new fix that has come to light (muting the Line using default Windows drivers) can finally get the ball rolling in terms of Corsair paying attention to this issue and doing something about it.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:37 AM

POST ID # = 638498
DrEugenics Reputation: 10

I've registered just to say I have the exact same issue with the high pitched whine, went to Corsair support who suggested an RMA. Its sad that they are denying this is an issue when its clearly effecting so many users.

Its certainly putting me off buying any future products at the moment

Old 03-08-2013, 11:06 PM

POST ID # = 638934
JayWalk3r Reputation: 10

I have registered here just to also say I bought this headset and received it today just to be disappointed with the white noise when the mic is active.

I did not test it on a different PC even though I could why would I? This is the PC I bought this headset for.

I am very happy with the headset sound quality but noticed this white noise first just in my control panel just by looking at my recording settings. Then tested it in mumble and sure enough a loud noise which I am not willing to deal with.

I bought these for the 7.1 surround not willing to use window drivers.

Now I have to go threw the process of returning my product as I am looking for a instant fix not a RMA.

I do own several corsair products inside a few of my PC's and your products have all lived up to your name except this one. Sounds like this is a known problem in your customer's eye's and has been for over a year. Last thing I wanted to be doing is sitting here on these forums dealing with my brand new product. Customer is always right, work on those new drivers.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:15 PM

POST ID # = 639494
JayWalk3r Reputation: 10
Important

Update to my previous post. I did test this on a different computer plugged in a different outlet with the same results. Only tried the Microsoft drivers and never saw a line in option in the control panel, so could not test turning that off.

Never saw the line option in the properties on any of the computers I tested these on. These Microsoft drivers are the ones that automatically installed right?

Did test plugging them into my USB Hub, Front USB, And motherboard USB plugs though. All with the same results, a high pitch when the mic is active.

I would like to add the sound get's louder when you hit the mute button on the cord controls.

Will be returning this product this week, hope this topic stay's alive and get's some continued attention with a positive end result.