Corsair Community

Poor cooling performance H150i XT

Flipkaan

Hello guys, i'm new to the forum. Recently I switched my H115i RGB pro for a H150i pro XT.

My previous AIO was mounted at the top in my X570 case as an exhaust. My new AIO 360mm is mounted at the front as an intake. I changed the stock fans with 3 x LL120. But these LL120's are struggling to blow air trough the radiator.

When i'm playing games I have noticed that my RAM stick are getting really hot now. Before it was around 50° C right now 70+ °C

Any tips? Should I change the fans?

Case: Crystal 570X

CPU: Intel Core i7 9700k (OC to 4.9 ghz)

GPU: MSI RTX2080 TI gaming X trio

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 4 x 8 GB 3200mhz

https://imgur.com/a/pVZS0tF

Edited by Flipkaan

Fan change probably won't help with that. There are two factors with the increased RAM temps. 1) Before you were blowing 20-something degree air from outside the case on them. Now the air temp is approximate equal to the coolant temp of the H150i. That is going to be 5-8C more than before and the effect is somewhat additive. 2) The radiator cuts the direct airflow in half compared to the free air volume. Changing to a "more powerful" fan won't do anything for number one and only marginally affects number 2.

What you might consider is taking the ML-Quiet fans that came with the H150 XT and sticking them behind the radiator for push-pull. That will help get a little more air in the case and it might help a little with direct airflow across the RAM stack.

Something else that might be a factor is distance from the top fans to the RAM. With the H115i up there before, your radiator fans would have been sitting directly on top of the RAM. With that gone, they've shifted up 30mm. That may result in less air movement around the RAM. You could try using fan shrouds for the top fans to move them back closer to the RAM, but that can be really finicky about the angle of the blade on those top fans and how it draws air. Very hit or miss - literally.

Another idea might to flip the top fans to intake. A lot of 460/570 owners do this to try and blow air out the side panel offsets for dust maintenance purposes, but that might also change the air temp mixture hitting the RAM. It is also the easiest of these suggestions to put into practice for a test run.

Fan change probably won't help with that. There are two factors with the increased RAM temps. 1) Before you were blowing 20-something degree air from outside the case on them. Now the air temp is approximate equal to the coolant temp of the H150i. That is going to be 5-8C more than before and the effect is somewhat additive. 2) The radiator cuts the direct airflow in half compared to the free air volume. Changing to a "more powerful" fan won't do anything for number one and only marginally affects number 2.

What you might consider is taking the ML-Quiet fans that came with the H150 XT and sticking them behind the radiator for push-pull. That will help get a little more air in the case and it might help a little with direct airflow across the RAM stack.

Something else that might be a factor is distance from the top fans to the RAM. With the H115i up there before, your radiator fans would have been sitting directly on top of the RAM. With that gone, they've shifted up 30mm. That may result in less air movement around the RAM. You could try using fan shrouds for the top fans to move them back closer to the RAM, but that can be really finicky about the angle of the blade on those top fans and how it draws air. Very hit or miss - literally.

Another idea might to flip the top fans to intake. A lot of 460/570 owners do this to try and blow air out the side panel offsets for dust maintenance purposes, but that might also change the air temp mixture hitting the RAM. It is also the easiest of these suggestions to put into practice for a test run.

Thanks for your quick reply! I'm goin to try and switch the top fans as intake. But then i have only 1 exhaust fan left (LL120 at the back). As you said excess air would leave trough the gaps form the case. Wil this affect air cut off from the front radiator and getting higher CPU temps, or should is just get a lower speed on the top ML's on the intake?

LL fans have low static pressure, and it's a very closed case. You can try to remove the front glass and see if you feel more air passing through the rad.

Going push/pull will make it better for sure, but it's a very restrictive case to start with.

When the H115i was installed on top, it was pulling air from everywhere.. front fans, PCIE brackets, any openings around the glass panels..

Now the H150 only has that little gap to try to pull air in.

I have been playing around with the fan speeds, and MSI Kombustor has been running for the last 3 hours:

Slot 1 : 53°C

Slot 2 : 52,5°C

Slot 3 : 52°C

Slot 4 : 51°C

https://imgur.com/a/TUxQGeM

CPU package 45-55°C (liquid temperature stable at 30°)

GPU 68-70°C

Altough I don't know if this is a reliable test with MSI Kombustor as the avg CPU usage is only around 30-35%. Compared to games that I play like Battlefield 5, my CPU usage is around 90-100%, which i'm not sure if this affects the RAM temp?

I'm going to test this tonight on Battlefield 5, if i'm still getting those high temps, I probably should return my H150i and replace it with my H115 and mount it back at the top as exhaust.

Edited by Flipkaan

ram temps are mostly influenced by the heat released by the RTX and the airflow in the case (or the lack of it).

With low airflow, the AIO coolant temp will also rise and heat up the case too.

Basically, what you have left to do is tweak and try to find a setup that allows you to run the "less hot" possible.

The AIO is fine in itself but you are fighting that particular case's airflow issues.

case's airflow issues.

not when set up correctly.

the 570x loves intake.. lots of it.. user needs to switch the upper fans to intake and run a single rear exhaust.. had this case 3 years now and never suffered airflow issues. its currently running QL's but has also ran with LL's/HD's/SP's

http://i.imgur.com/fDspRzCl.jpg

need to own the case to know the case imho...

need to own the case to know the case imho...

No need to buy it to know that air doesn't flow well through glass :D: that's what the 680x taught me and it has slightly more opening at the front.

So yea, all intake, with push pulls works. It's called brute force and that's pretty much necesary on this one.

No need to buy it to know that air doesn't flow well through glass :D: that's what the 680x taught me and it has slightly more opening at the front.

So yea, all intake, with push pulls works. It's called brute force and that's pretty much necesary on this one.

Sorry dont agree at all.. imho.. will leave you to your quest....

Odd, I don't agree with your assessment of the 680x. I have one that runs 24/7 have front and bottom as intake, top and rear as exhaust. Fans run about 8-900rpm through an AIO in the front. Have no temp issues what so ever. Only temp issue I had was in the rear chamber and adding a couple fans back there fixed that problem. Custom built PC's require critical problem solving at times. If you were experiencing temperature issues some investigating into why may have been in order.

Odd, I don't agree with your assessment of the 680x. I have one that runs 24/7 have front and bottom as intake, top and rear as exhaust. Fans run about 8-900rpm through an AIO in the front. Have no temp issues what so ever. Only temp issue I had was in the rear chamber and adding a couple fans back there fixed that problem. Custom built PC's require critical problem solving at times. If you were experiencing temperature issues some investigating into why may have been in order.

We are drifting away from the original topic, but to be more precise, the middle LL120 was producing absolutely no airflow through a radiator (granted i had a 22fpi at the time), but it was basically not doing anything. I could not feel any air when sticking my hand there. Only the front top and front bottom were somewhat cooling the rad. When i removed the front filter it was just slightly better, and removing the front panel made a massive difference.

I used this case for a few months using 2x 140 at the front, bottom intake on a 280 rad and top exhaust on another 280 rad, but without the top glass. Leaving the top glass raised my coolant temps by 4° on load.

Changing to an 011XL with the exact same fan configuration, same loop lowered coolant temp by another 2° with all panels and filters fitted.

Don't get me wrong, the case did work, the temps were decent, but it was too noisy to my liking because i had to run the fans too fast to get there.

We just have two different cooling setups. It works better for some people, it didn't for me.