Corsair Community

H115i + 3rd fan or H150i

lordsirius

Hello there,

I'm in the planning phase of a new build and need some thoughts around radiators and fans.

The case in question can fit up to 3x120s or 40s in the front. I want to use all the available mounts, so I see two options at the moment

1. H115i RGB PRO XT + additional ML 140 fan

2. H150i RGB PRO XT

I expect to getter better overall airflow/temps in the case (at the same noise level) with option 1, but I would have to control the 3rd fan separately.

With option 2 I would have my 3 intake fans controlled by the same instance, but I would expect more noise, as I have to deal with 120 fans.

In the end, I might just think too much :laughing:

Looking forward to your thoughts

I would choose the one that directly fits the case the best. A lot of cases list 3x120 or 2x140 compatibility, but when you look at the front it may be designed specifically for one or the other. The most common compromise are 120mm mounting rails that block part of the 140mm fan profile. When the fan is mounted on the exterior intake side, the blade comes very close to the rail and produces noticeable noise at speed. That can be addressed by putting the fans on the interior side, but that may not be aesthetically pleasing in some instances.

280 vs 360mm radiator cooling - At max speed, there is little difference. A 360mm radiator will give you slightly better cooling at middle and low speeds. However, if you are at those levels you likely have little heat to get rid of anyway.

Does the extra 140mm "free air fan" have value for the set-up? I don't know from this end. Possible if you have m.2 drives or something else temperature sensitive on the other side. Possible if you are using the PSU in a "fan up" position. Possible if there is little clearance between the air cooled GPU and the PSU. However, I think the first two points probably carry more weight than anything in this paragraph.

Some people have clear preferences for 120 vs 140mm fans. I always have liked the more diffuse sound of a 140mm fan better. However, this is still case and application specific. I love my 140mm fans in my Corsair 540/740 cases. The were designed with it in mind and it's a natural fit. Trying to force them into a case really meant for 120mm fans never works out as well.