Corsair Community

4000D Airflow: Front USB not recognizing external hard drives

RickGW

I cannot get my external hard drives to work on my front USB 3 connector (case is a Corsair 4000D). The drives start to spin up, so it seems they get power, but Windows doesn't recognize them. Also, when I plug them in, occasionally my Logitech Flight Yoke connected to a USB port on the back, starts resetting itself every minute or so, like the motherboard struggles with power or something. This stops when I unplug the external drives from the front connector. Furthermore I only have one mouse and one keyboard connected to the back.

When I plug the drives on the backside of the motherboard, everything works as expected and the drives get recognized without problems.

I tried it with two different Seagate 2,5" drives (Backup Plus Portable Device 1TB and an Expansion Portable Device 2TB, both behaving in the exact same way.

Also, when a simple USB stick is inserted on the same front connector, the stick does get recognized. So it seems to be a power issue or some sort, but that's only my guess.

I don't know what could be the problem. Maybe there is someone with a 4000D too who can verify it's not the case?

MSI MAG 550 Tomahawk

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming X Trio

G.Skill Ripjaws 3200 MHz 2x16 GB

Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W

Windows 10 Pro x64

Ok, I've narrowed it down to the USB3 pinheader cable that came with the case. Using my old one from my Antec case and plugging that one on my motherboard causes no problems at all.

I already created a support ticket with Corsair for a replacement cable.

I'm curious though, anyone else with a 4000D case who can check if their cable is working fine? It's the yellow one on top of the case that goes to the USB3 connector on the motherboard.

• Like 1