Corsair Community

Coil whine complaint

cha0z

Ok. When they reply to the ticket, link them this thread and tell them that Jonny asked that HQ do a failure analysis (FA).

Hi, sorry for the necro, but I have the same issue with new corsair rm850i unit. It’s insanely bad and as the person above described - even a slight mouse movement will bring low pitch noice and stressing the CPU is making it worse. It seems CPU related and in games it’s not that loud (but still there). For the price of the PSU and corsair reputation this is insulting. Tested for sure it’s the PSU, returning my old corsair TX950 fixed the issue (and that PSU also for a coil whine issue, but not nearly as bad). I will return it in the next few days and take another one, serious question - should I go for another rm850i or another brand as from two power supplies from corsair both are having bad coil whine and via my job (network/system administrator) a lot of machines was in-front of me - never saw that bad coil whine in my life. It’s basically constant and getting worse with any CPU load, only full idle is kinda quiet most of the time and machine off. It's also different high pitch noise, for example in cinebench, prime95 small fft, smallest fft, blend - but all insanely loud and distracting. Like something is piercing through my ears. Opening chrome brings the sound, windows booting, mouse movement (but it's quieter in those with windows booting noisier because of the higher CPU load). Tried to mess with VRM's settings for the board, tried to turn off C state (there is global option for that), tried to plug in the second 4 pin CPU power on the board, tried also two PCI-E cables for the 5700XT and tried single rail instead of multi - nothing changed.

My other specs: asus corsair x570 hero wifi, 3600x, Kingston 2x16 @3600 cl16, 5700xt, ssd’s +hdd’s combo.

Seriously, I know it’s corsair forum and all, but are all of their PSU having issues with coil whine and why it’s not mentioned in reviews (including yours)? I actually buy that PSU based on your review instead of be quiet 850w platinum that was scored lower from you and is more expensive. I was sure that the tx950 issue will not repeat and indeed, it’s x10 worse.

Sorry if I sound angry, but it’s frustrating to happen second time on super positively reviewed PSU’s that are anything but cheap. I know how it depends on hardware and whatnot, but common. :(

So it’s basically stranger asking you for a favour and advice how should I proceed? Risk with another rm850i or change the brand? In my country it’s not that trouble free to return parts, sadly. So I am really worried that the one they give me will have the same issue.

Sorry for the long post and I will be really thankful for advise.

Edited by cha0z

• Corsair Employee
Hi, sorry for the necro

Nope. ;-) No reason to bump a 4.5 year old thread. Start a new one.

Seriously, I know it’s corsair forum and all, but are all of their PSU having issues with coil whine and why it’s not mentioned in reviews (including yours)? I actually buy that PSU based on your review instead of be quiet 850w platinum that was scored lower from you and is more expensive. I was sure that the tx950 issue will not repeat and indeed, it’s x10 worse.

I never reviewed an RM850i. I think you're thinking of Oklahoma Wolf.

Any way... with newer efficiency requirements requiring switching frequencies down in the audible range, coil whine is actually a lot more common now then it was 5 or 10 years ago.

Everyone in the industry tries to resolve the issue by using vacuum lamination for the magnetics and applying RTV wherever possible, but sometimes with the combination of certain higher end graphics cards, the noise is amplified exponentially.

Unfortunately, as now that Intel has introduced a 2% load efficiency requirement in the new ATX design guide in order to align with CEC efficiency requirements, we may hear more audible noise at lower loads as well as higher loads. This is because the requirement if 70% efficiency at loads as low as 2%. A normal LLC controller can't achieve that. So they have ICs that will enter a "burst mode" at low loads, but this bust mode also results in a short of "chirping" noise.

Edited by jonnyguru

Hey, I am super grateful that you responded and so fast too! Sorry once more about posting in the old thread! As for the sound - this is example of it:

[ame]

[/ame]

Note that I can hear that from another room, it’s that loud. I understand the modern time challenges, but I can’t consider that type of sound with ANY cpu load for acceptable or normal?

• Corsair Employee
Hey, I am super grateful that you responded and so fast too! Sorry once more about posting in the old thread! As for the sound - this is example of it:

Note that I can hear that from another room, it’s that loud. I understand the modern time challenges, but I can’t consider that type of sound with ANY cpu load for acceptable or normal?

I think that is unusually loud.

Are you in a country that uses 115V or 230V?

May just be a lack of lamination on the PFC choke coil, but usually I only hear that at high mains voltage (230V).

I think that is unusually loud.

Are you in a country that uses 115V or 230V?

May just be a lack of lamination on the PFC choke coil, but usually I only hear that at high mains voltage (230V).

Yes, it's 220V to be exact (Bulgaria, Europe).

Yeah, it's really that loud, I can hear it with full headphones playing sound, without headphones it's insane and easily filling the whole room/next one. And it also triggers from the smallest CPU load like mouse movement, web browsing and ofc everything with higher CPU load. Actually the recorded here is not the worst it can get (frequency vary based on the CPU load).

Never seen anything that bad and while I would agree that some form of coil whine is really almost unavoidable and expected, that one is on the extreme end and distracting. Can't see anyone to put this into his system and be fine with it.

How I should proceed? Can you recommend me a PSU that will not behave like that, I don't even care about the price tag if it's sure success (tho I fear I ask for too much and there is not such thing as "sure success)? Maybe some general guide, more powerful PSU, less powerful, cheaper one with less efficiency... I am so sad as I love everything else in that PSU.

• Corsair Employee
Yes, it's 220V to be exact (Bulgaria, Europe).

Yeah, it's really that loud, I can hear it with full headphones playing sound, without headphones it's insane and easily filling the whole room/next one. And it also triggers from the smallest CPU load like mouse movement, web browsing and ofc everything with higher CPU load. Actually the recorded here is not the worst it can get (frequency vary based on the CPU load).

Never seen anything that bad and while I would agree that some form of coil whine is really almost unavoidable and expected, that one is on the extreme end and distracting. Can't see anyone to put this into his system and be fine with it.

How I should proceed? Can you recommend me a PSU that will not behave like that, I don't even care about the price tag if it's sure success (tho I fear I ask for too much and there is not such thing as "sure success)? Maybe some general guide, more powerful PSU, less powerful, cheaper one with less efficiency... I am so sad as I love everything else in that PSU.

I suggest another RM850i. Obviously your noise is worse than any others.