Corsair Community

Corsair LL120 Fans flickering

jl94x4

Hi all. I have an issue with my LL 120 fans recently.

I have a Commander Pro with 4 LL 120 RGB Fans and a full Hydro X setup that includes GPU, CPU and Res, these are all plugged into the Commander Pro.

Whenever I have a "moving" lighting setup 3 of my 4 fans flicker, when all fans are on a solid colour there is no flicker. This only occurs on the LL 120 fans and doesn't happen on the Hydro setup.

I have tried:

- Reinstalling iCue (and deleting ProgramData/Corsair and AppData/Corsair

- Resetting the Commander Pro using the reset pin on the device

- Tried flickering fans in other ports on the Commander Pro (same issue)

- Closing iCUE (the same happens)

Weirdly, every fan works when plugged into FAN port 1 on the lighting controller, but none work on any other ports, unless port 1 has a fan plugged in then all other fans work too. Not sure if I have 3 faulty fans (doubtful), a faulty controller, or a fault Commander Pro, of if its software related.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I really only want to RMA as a last resort as my cable management is really tidy and I'll have to rebuild my entire PC if I need to take fans or Commander Pro out.

Edited by jl94x4

First, the fans must be connected to the fan hub in order. If nothing is in port 1, then port 2 won't work. If nothing is in port 1 and 2, then port 3 won't work. So what you described is absolutely expected behavior.

Rearranging the fans on the hub can help narrow down issues because the fans daisy chain the control signal from one fan to the next to the next, via the fan hub (also why they have to be connected in order). So that's really your next best step - see if you can track down that this happens when a specific fan is in port 1. It's possible that it's narfing the control signal.

First, the fans must be connected to the fan hub in order. If nothing is in port 1, then port 2 won't work. If nothing is in port 1 and 2, then port 3 won't work. So what you described is absolutely expected behavior.

Rearranging the fans on the hub can help narrow down issues because the fans daisy chain the control signal from one fan to the next to the next, via the fan hub (also why they have to be connected in order). So that's really your next best step - see if you can track down that this happens when a specific fan is in port 1. It's possible that it's narfing the control signal.

All of the fans work perfectly in Port 1, though. No flickering or anything like that.

All of the fans work perfectly in Port 1, though. No flickering or anything like that.

I understand that. What about the fans in port 2?

They pass the signal from one fan to the next. If the previous fan in the chain is narfed, then you can have issues. Even if that fan works fine by itself, it may not be passing the signal to the next fan correctly.

Checking fans one at a time on port one only verifies half of the story.

I understand that. What about the fans in port 2?

They pass the signal from one fan to the next. If the previous fan in the chain is narfed, then you can have issues. Even if that fan works fine by itself, it may not be passing the signal to the next fan correctly.

Checking fans one at a time on port one only verifies half of the story.

Right, I get you now. So I just plugged 1, 2, 3, 4 with no issues however fan 5 and 6 tried separatly in port 4 (two spares) are flickering like a disco ball. So I remove fan 4, and fan 5 and 6 which are now 4 are still disco balling.

What does this mean?

What happens if you move fan 3 to the end?

Works fine.

Infact, they all work fine on a solid colour, as soon as I switch to any sort of effect (rainbow wave etc) fans 2 and 3 and 4 flickers

I'll get a video up shortly, its probably easier for you to understand.

Edited by jl94x4

• 6 months later...

Hi guys,

I have been having the same problem trying my absolute best to workout why my fans are flickering. I have 6 fans, 4 corsair LL120s and 2 LL140s. My problem occurred almost 9 months ago where my fans went from full brightness and running smoothly to being dull and flickering. I tried hard software updates, uninstalling/reinstalling. I also tried a new rgb hub, I tried every possible solution that everyone suggested on the internet except for 1.

If you access your ICUE software and click on your lighting channel 1 or 2 whatever channel your fans are all connected too, you will see a section that has each individual fan with LED port #1, LED port #2, LED port #3 and so on. These individual ports allow you to personally highlight each single LED in each fan. This basically allows you to control which fans have light and which don't. SO if you highlight over LED port #1 you will see that all the LEDS in port #1 will be turned on while the rest of the LED in every other port (2,3,4,5,6) will be turned off. In doing so this allowed me to find the culprit fan that was responsible for all my other fans flickering. See the thing is if one of your fans are faulty even in the slightest this can affect all other fans as they are all connected to one central hub. This worked for me so hopefully it does for others, but all you have to do is select each LED fan port individually, and see which fans stay at a solid bright consistent colour and which fan starts to flicker at a dull state. Don't be alarmed if you select a fan and the one you selected is a solid colour and the rest for whatever start flickering a little, that's just the faulty fan messing around with the others. So as long as that fan you selected is a solid colour it's good. The second you select a fan and that fan is dull and flickers, that is your faulty fan, the cuplrit causing the problem. If you want to fix it, all you have to do is remove that fan and buy a brand new fan, then all the others will work like new. Mine has been perfect since. So anyone telling you it's the software and what not, give my method a go because it honestly could just potentially come down to a bad batch of fans that were produced, like with any product that is produced on a high scale, there will always be a bunch that come out bad.

Hope this helps everyone! Please feel free to reply to let me know how you went, thanks :)

Edited by FansNotWorking
  • Thanks 1

Had the same issue. 3 of my fans were cutting in and out and flashing.

The problem is a faulty fan in the line. All the fans are daisy-chained so when one plays up the rest in line do.

Find the 1st fan in the chain that's flickering should be easy if you have them in order. It will be that one. Unplug it from the hub. Move the remaining fans across Eg plug fan 5 into slot 4 that you just removed and fan 6 into slot 5 The rest of the fans should stop flickering.

Then it's a simple case of replacing the faulty fan.

For me fan 4 a 140mm LL fan was causing issues for 5 & 6 too. Now I have 5 working fans and one unplugged from the RGB hub waiting for a replacement.