Corsair Community

Lighting Node Pro NOT Detected!

Silencr4K

Hello, I recently purchased 3 LL120 Fans, 2 For my radiator and 1 for the back of my computer. I set up the 3 fans without my liquid cooler (H100i RGB Pro) and iCue detected my Lighting Node just fine, however I recently tried installing it alongside my liquid cooler and I have run into an issue. My Lighting Node is not detected! I have tried everything, (Upgrading and downgrading Firmware.bin) etc; and I can't get iCue to detect my lighting node. All the lights however do light up Rainbow I just can't change it!

Things worth noting:

-I only have 2, USB 2.0 headers on my board and I bought a splitter so I can connect my WiFi card, my Liquid Cooler, and of course the lighting node.

- I also bought a SATA Splitter because the RGB Hub and the Node use up 2 SATA's and the Cooler needed one meanwhile I only had 2.

Interesting Findings:

- My Liquid Cooler is connected to the SATA going straight to the Power Supply (Not the splitter) and I tried switching it to the splitter and I noticed that the RGB's would not light up on the splitter, however iCue somehow still detected my Cooler

- Downgrading the firmware on my Lighting Node makes my fan a solid color (white) however if I upgrade to the latest version my fans light up rainbow (still not detected obviously).

P.S I have noticed I am the only one with this problem, everyone else has fans that won't light up and won't detect I on the other hand have fans that light up and won't detect!!!

- ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! :)

Do not use SATA splitters with the RGB items. It is entirely possibly for one of these devices to draw nearly the full 4.5A specified for the SATA power interface. Two on a splitter? 7-8A going through a single SATA power connection. That's a recipe for very bad things to happen. Your statement that the RGBs don't light up with the splitter also seems to be an indication that the SATA power splitter isn't supplying the 5V rail.

USB Splitters are also questionable. USB isn't something that you can split. You can use a hub (and some of these "splitters" are actually mini hubs) but I don't know what you've got. A powered hub - like the NZXT internal hub - is preferable as devices like the LNP have an MCU that's powered by USB. You need a link to the actual product.

• Confused 1

I would very strongly recommend that you do not use SATA splitters. It is possible for you to overload the connector that is split.

That splitter looks like it's a mini hub. That's good. However, it's distribution power from 2 USB ports to 4 ports. Each port can support up to 500mA ... that's effectively cut in half - less, actually, as the hub chip will consume some amount of power as well. This is the problem with unpowered hubs and that goes for hubs on the outside of the system as well.

So, would you recommend getting a new power supply that has more SATA connections? And correct me if I'm wrong but USB 2.0 headers are used for the lighting and not actual functionality, so it would not matter if one of them was getting less power like I think you suggested. I'm new to this whole RGB concept so sorry if I sould like im a noob haha. For now I'll be taking the sata and USB 2.0 spliters out of my pc as they serve no purpose without a sata.

So to sum it all up, would a new power supply that has 6+ SATA's and using the USB 2.0 Splitter be safe?

Edit: I removed this edit because I fixed a new problem, the above questions still apply however

Edited by Silencr4K
Finished

Will using a splitter be safe? Yes - it's not likely to melt anything like an overloaded SATA connector would.

Would it work? Hard to say. It would depend on a number of factors, including what else on on the USB ports and how much power they are using. The USB bus does provide power to the micro controller in the LNP. So if the MCU isn't getting enough power, you'll have issues.

• 1 year later...
Do not use SATA splitters with the RGB items. It is entirely possibly for one of these devices to draw nearly the full 4.5A specified for the SATA power interface. Two on a splitter? 7-8A going through a single SATA power connection. That's a recipe for very bad things to happen. Your statement that the RGBs don't light up with the splitter also seems to be an indication that the SATA power splitter isn't supplying the 5V rail.

USB Splitters are also questionable. USB isn't something that you can split. You can use a hub (and some of these "splitters" are actually mini hubs) but I don't know what you've got. A powered hub - like the NZXT internal hub - is preferable as devices like the LNP have an MCU that's powered by USB. You need a link to the actual product.

Could you please help me with my thread as well, I've read all your posts and I still can't find out how to solve this problem

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=200475