Corsair Community

H80i v2 back plate concerns.

Bae Tard

Hello,

I recently installed an H80i v2. You see how in the reference photo the 4 threaded posts of the back plate stick through the motherboard and the stand offs screw into them securing the back plate? Well, those 4 posts go through the board and stick out a little too far (just like the photo) so when the stand offs are screwed in all the way, the back plate wiggles. It doesn't wiggle after the AIO heat sync is attached but I suspect it is from the tension caused by the cooling lines. I don't think the heat sync is making proper contact with the lid. I am not seeing better cooling than I did with a Noctua NH-L9x65.

The mainboard is a Gigabyte 270 Designaire. I am using the correct stand-off but all the stand offs have the same issue since the threaded posts stick through the board too far.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am thinking about getting some nylon washers or returning it.

JjHJTqa.jpg

Edited by Bae Tard

It doesn't wiggle after the AIO heat sync is attached...

That is how it works. Loose until the cold plate/pump is tightened.

You'll have to be more specific about why you think it doesn't cooler better and how you tested that. If you were thinking it would be 10C cooler when you initiated Prime95, it won't and no other cooler will be either. The instant load temperature is all conductive and almost entirely dependent on CPU voltage and CPU design. A larger water cooling system has more heat capacity than a large air cooler and will continue to remain at the initial load temperature for longer, while the smaller cooler slowly creeps upwards. However, the H80i is not a large water cooling system. It is a single panel radiator, although a rather thick one. Unfortunately, thickness does not carry the same benefit as length or outer layer surface area.