Corsair Community

Scimitar problems

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really want to buy a Scimitar RGB. My birthday is approaching and I thought about making myself a little gift. The moving keypad, the RGB LEDs, the style (and yes, I like the yellow bit around the keypad) tick all the boxes. I also own a K70 RGB and the Scimitar RGB would work great with it. No extra software. I already have the CUE installed and I could just plug in the mouse. Sadly, I can't buy it.

Buying a product should be a pleasant experience not a stressful struggle. The amount of posts reporting problems that "will be address with the next update" is worrying. The keypad becoming unresponsive, the cursor that skips pixels, the erratic behavior of the tracking... the list could continue. Not only that but DPIs should be kept below a certain value, the RGB light effect should be used with caution... Moreover, the amount and content of the reviews on Amazon.com is jaw-dropping (in a bad way). Especially, compared to the competitors.

It would appear that almost everything can be resolved with an unplug/plug of the USB port. Unfortunately, it is not an one-off operation. It has to be repeated in the middle of anything one may do when the problem arises. It reminds me the old days when users asked to address a problem with their PC. The answer was invariably: "have you tried to reboot it?"

It's true that not all users have a negative experience. This is good news but one wonders if it is worth playing the technological roulette just for the sake of having a few more LEDs and a cool looking mouse.

A mouse that is among the most expensive on the market should be absolute perfection. Plug the mouse, install the software, configuration. Period. It should work until the end of time without any intervention. Reading the various posts one has the impression that a customer have to use a second mouse while he waits for a software patch.

Believe me, the only reason why I write this post is because I like Corsair products and it's somehow upsetting seeing a company that could have no equals on the marked, heading towards reputation self-destruction.

Please tell us what is going on. Shareholders force you to ship out products with too many corners that have been cut? Marketing ask you to have products ready too quickly. Accounts want you to cut costs? If you are not ready to answer these questions here, I recommend Corsair to start asking the same questions internally.

I worked the majority of my professional life as a software engineer and project manager in IT. I know, thanks to lessons learned the hard way, that writing good software is hard. Very hard. I still write real-time firmware. It is difficult but it is not impossible.

Invitably one has the impression that either the hardware is so bad that any software cannot address its faults or that the hardware is great but Corsair software engineers cannot write a piece of software that is 100% working. Either way, the net result is that Corsair is paying engineers to damage its reputation. Nothing wrong with it: it's your money and you can spend it as you like but sadly, and in spite all my good intentions, you will not have me as a customer.

---

I do not work for Corsair (and I think this was clear), for any of the Corsair's competitors or more in general for any company that sells computer products.

Edited by High-Voltage

I do actually agree with High-Voltage. I'm a big fan of Corsair and they're always my top choice when I'm in the market for something and they happen to have an implementation of it. That being said, I think there's much more room for improvement when it comes to software and drivers, especially when it involves an over saturated market.

Buy what you want, but most Scimitar owners like myself have no problems once the color scheme is set to a solid color. I am patiently waiting for them to fix the software and/or firmware before I resume to the fancy color wave.

I entirely take your point radarlove. I like to think that the vast majority of Scimitar RGB owners are very happy about their purchase and I'm glad you are one of them.

What I was trying to say, with far too many words, is that unfortunately I can't buy what I want. I would like to buy a product that I like and gives me a trouble-free experience. Judging exclusively from what has been posted on this forum and elsewhere, there is a small but real chance that things will go bad for me if I decide to buy a Scimitar RGB.

If things do go bad, it means hours spent with unistall/reinstall, RMAs, emails, posts, support tickets and plug/unplug from the USB socket. It is not the end of the world as we know it but frankly I'm not that keen in taking the risk.

If this was about a company I didn't care about, I wouldn't write here. It is because I do like Corsair products that decide to write a post.

I registered to post this.

I've been having issues with my Scimitar just like the ones previously posted and have been watching this thread for about 3 weeks. On 1/4, it was stated that they have a fix that is going through testing. What is the ETA on that? I am considering just ditching this Scimitar in favor of Logitech, which sucks because if it actually worked it would be a good mouse.

I am not trying to be negative but it is hard not to be.

I registered to post this.

I've been having issues with my Scimitar just like the ones previously posted and have been watching this thread for about 3 weeks. On 1/4, it was stated that they have a fix that is going through testing. What is the ETA on that? I am considering just ditching this Scimitar in favor of Logitech, which sucks because if it actually worked it would be a good mouse.

I am not trying to be negative but it is hard not to be.

I also would like to get an ETA for the fix and also the fix for the RGB flickering issue on the RGB Strafe keyboard.

a fix should be in the next patch or the one after that.

That quite honestly doesn't answer the question in the least.

sorry let me put it this way. I dont know the eta atm. Im not a Corsair employee, only they know the release date. All i can say is there is a beta firmware out to fix this issue, after it is tested it will be released.

Edited by Inheritance

I am considering just ditching this Scimitar in favor of Logitech, which sucks because if it actually worked it would be a good mouse.

I got the Scimitar for Christmas and after experiencing and looking into the issues, I decided to return it while I still could (I love my RGB Strafe, but I have zero loyalty towards any company). In it's place I bought a Logitech Proteus Core; aside from losing the side buttons, I have no regrets.

So I just bought the Scimitar last week, and it stutters like crazy. My Logitech G600 has zero issues, but the Corsair has some serious ones. The buttons all work like they should, and it doesn't "crash", but if I'm moving my mouse sometimes my cursor will jump to a corner and jump back and forth about an inch on the screen. Sometimes it'll jump to opposite corners. It's super annoying on the desktop, and worse in games. I'm going to take it back and try another one, but if the next one does it, I'll be staying away from Corsair for mice. I love my Corsair Vengeance K90, best keyboard I've ever had. Was hoping the mouse would be as good...it's not even close.

I got the Scimitar for Christmas and after experiencing and looking into the issues, I decided to return it while I still could (I love my RGB Strafe, but I have zero loyalty towards any company). In it's place I bought a Logitech Proteus Core; aside from losing the side buttons, I have no regrets.

You should have bought the Sabre mouse. I've had the Proteus and returned it. The Sabre is much better. I use the Sabre for 1st person shooters and the Scimitar for MMO's. Both work incredible.

• Corsair Employee
Hi all, I understand a lot of you are frustrated with the issues that Scimitar randomly has. To give you all a status update, we are thoroughly testing a resolution. Once we can validate it hasn't broken anything, we will release ASAP (along with the next update of CUE as it will be required to work together). Sorry for the long delay but we are dedicating all of our resources to ensuring your experience with Scimitar will be a positive one without any issues.

Thank you for keeping us in the loop Corsair James. It's excellent news. I'm sure a lot of people are looking forward to receiving an updated firmware/software for their Scimitar RBG.

Equally, I'm sure you appreciate that if one has to buy a new mouse, this doesn't help that much. I struggle to cope with the idea that I could purchase a Scimitar and keep it on the shelf until the update arrives. When everything will be ready, on an undefined point in the future, I can start using it. This assuming the update will fix everything to perfection, of course.

Alternatively, I could wait for the update to be released and tested by the Corsair community before buying a Scimitar. Again, at some point in the future. This is of course an option but why should I wait an unspecified amount of time when there are other products that I can buy today that cover the same functionalities, sometimes at a lower price, without the need to wait for an update? The Scimitar looks good, has the moving keypad and an impressive array of LEDs but so far it looks like these are only things I can count on.

I'm a Corsair's happy customer. I don't want to be overcritical but one has to be detached and rational, and look at the facts.

Thanks James for the update. I'm going to return mine for another one and see if it helps the stuttering issue. If not, it'll have to go back and I'll have to wait until the issues are worked out. I'm not about to fork out $60+ on a mouse that doesn't work, with the promises that someday it will. I'll just have to wait until that day arrives I guess.

So I exchanged the mouse, and there are no more stutters...at least not yet. The only problem now, which is a new problem with this mouse, is when I pickup the mouse and put it back down, the cursor is unresponsive for a quarter of a second up to two seconds...and its sporadic. Is this some strange setting thing that I can turn off...or does the new mouse I got have an entirely different hardware problem. Ug...this is really frustrating because I like the way the mouse feels, and I like the adjustable keypad and the fact that the buttons are mechanical.

So I exchanged the mouse, and there are no more stutters...at least not yet. The only problem now, which is a new problem with this mouse, is when I pickup the mouse and put it back down, the cursor is unresponsive for a quarter of a second up to two seconds...and its sporadic. Is this some strange setting thing that I can turn off...or does the new mouse I got have an entirely different hardware problem. Ug...this is really frustrating because I like the way the mouse feels, and I like the adjustable keypad and the fact that the buttons are mechanical.

The stutter/laggy problems people are experiencing is a firmware issue, not a hardware issue and Corsair is testing a fix right now - as Corsair James said. To address your current problem, you could try adjusting your lift height distance in the Profiles > Performance & DPI tab. Also, have you tried using your mouse on another surface? There is a (slim) chance that the mouse doesn't like the surface you're using.

Hopefully this fix is out soon. It is an expensive mouse, but I have to agree with you that it feels very nice. I like it much more than my M65 RGB (Which was my favorite mouse until this one came around!)

Edited by Jkraghify

The latest Software version made my mouse even worse the version is 1.14.43

and it makes the mouse like completely shut down all colors freeze and cursor gets very laggy/chobby movement and you cant do anything Right click, left click, side buttons and scrolling everything just freezes

it is around 2 months ago since i bought this mouse.

Copy of the latest log

[2016-01-20T12:41:00]: UserSessionInfo: locked changed to 0.

[2016-01-20T12:41:00]: UserSessionInfo: connected changed to 1.

[2016-01-20T12:41:00]: UserSessionInfo: local changed to 1.

[2016-01-20T12:41:01]: UserSessionInfo: locked changed to 0.

[2016-01-20T12:41:01]: UserSessionInfo: connected changed to 1.

[2016-01-20T12:41:01]: UserSessionInfo: local changed to 1.

[2016-01-20T12:41:01]: UserSessionInfo: locked changed to 0.

[2016-01-20T12:41:01]: UserSessionInfo: connected changed to 1.

[2016-01-20T12:41:01]: UserSessionInfo: local changed to 1.

[2016-01-20T12:41:01]: Failed to open device: vid=1b1c pid=1b1e path=\\?\hid#vid_1b1c&pid_1b1e&mi_00#7&3ae69aa3&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}

[2016-01-20T12:41:01]: Failed to open device: vid=1b1c pid=1b1e path=\\?\hid#vid_1b1c&pid_1b1e&mi_01&col01#7&170f5ce1&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}

[2016-01-20T12:41:01]: Created new device object: Scimitar; ready: 0

[2016-01-20T12:41:01]: Device profile (meta) for device vid=2516 pid=16 not found.

[2016-01-20T12:41:01]: Device profile (meta) for device vid=2516 pid=16 not found.

[2016-01-20T12:41:01]: Attached to device object Scimitar: b=1 a=1

[2016-01-20T12:41:01]: Device profile (meta) for device vid=3f0 pid=e207 not found.

[2016-01-20T12:41:01]: Attached to device object Scimitar: b=1 a=0

[2016-01-20T12:41:01]: Initializing Scimitar...

[2016-01-20T12:41:03]: Initialized (st=1) Scimitar.

[2016-01-20T12:41:05]: Device insertion processing complete for Scimitar.

[2016-01-20T13:08:02]: Mouse LED colors change failed. request timed out for Scimitar

[2016-01-20T13:08:02]: Mouse LED colors change failed. request timed out for Scimitar

[2016-01-20T13:08:03]: Mouse LED colors change failed. request timed out for Scimitar

[2016-01-20T13:08:03]: Mouse LED colors change failed. request timed out for Scimitar

[2016-01-20T13:11:08]: Mouse LED colors change failed. request timed out for Scimitar

[2016-01-20T13:11:09]: Mouse LED colors change failed.Device : Scimitar,Execution result = 1, result = 0, platform error code = 2.

[2016-01-20T13:11:10]: Device vid=1b1c pid=1b1e is marked 'slow startup'.

[2016-01-20T13:11:16]: Created new device object: Scimitar; ready: 0

[2016-01-20T13:11:16]: Attached to device object Scimitar: b=1 a=1

[2016-01-20T13:11:16]: Attached to device object Scimitar: b=1 a=0

[2016-01-20T13:11:16]: Initializing Scimitar...

[2016-01-20T13:11:16]: Failed to open device: vid=1b1c pid=1b1e path=\\?\hid#vid_1b1c&pid_1b1e&mi_00#7&3ae69aa3&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}

[2016-01-20T13:11:16]: Failed to open device: vid=1b1c pid=1b1e path=\\?\hid#vid_1b1c&pid_1b1e&mi_01&col01#7&170f5ce1&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}

[2016-01-20T13:11:19]: Initialized (st=1) Scimitar.

[2016-01-20T13:11:20]: Device insertion processing complete for Scimitar.

the bug kept going until i unplugged and plugged it back in

Edited by Tordenguden

The stutter/laggy problems people are experiencing is a firmware issue, not a hardware issue and Corsair is testing a fix right now - as Corsair James said. To address your current problem, you could try adjusting your lift height distance in the Profiles > Performance & DPI tab. Also, have you tried using your mouse on another surface? There is a (slim) chance that the mouse doesn't like the surface you're using.

Hopefully this fix is out soon. It is an expensive mouse, but I have to agree with you that it feels very nice. I like it much more than my M65 RGB (Which was my favorite mouse until this one came around!)

I will try another surface, as I was at my coffee table (cheap wood laminate, but not super reflective). I can't imagine it being the surface though, as my Logitech has always worked fine, as does the new Naga I got (50% off, figured why not). I understand, optical vs laser...just still frustrating.

I tried messing with the lift setting...it didn't seem to do anything at all. I'm not really sure what it's purpose is.

That's the known issue which this thread is about. Corsair has already mentioned they are currently testing a fix for it.

Yes but as he wrote the next version of CUE should fix it and 1 day after a release came and the bug became worse than before as i wrote in my post that log file was from that day the new update came

Yes but as he wrote the next version of CUE should fix it and 1 day after a release came and the bug became worse than before as i wrote in my post that log file was from that day the new update came

The Scimitar fix will be included for CUE 1.15.xx that Corsair is currently beta testing.

When he replied most likely he thought CUE 1.14 was already out, but he was 1 day ahead :p: