The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2018, 06:08 PM
shankar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 942827
shankar Reputation: 10

Thanks DevBiker,

Yes, I have tried that. I have tried the latest firmware and one previous to that using the method you referred.

Since I had two sets of LNP with me (I had bought two twin pack of the 140 mm LL fans), I have pretty much tried both sets and all permutations and combinations with the connectors only to end up with the same issue.

I have also connected both the LNP and the hub with separate SATA power just to check if there is anything wrong with the connection.

I already have a pretty beefy 1000 watt PSU but since I also have a lot of HDDs in my system, I have even tried unplugging a lot of them to make sure it is not a power issue.

One thing I have not mentioned is that I have a Kraken x62 AIO. Am not sure if that is interfering. Though I have tried disabling the CAM software. In fact, once it is working, I have no issue running Link and CAM side by side in Windows. It is just strange that the issue starts the moment the power is completely cut off which makes me wonder if it is a firmware issue or a motherboard incompatibility issue perhaps?

Old 03-01-2018, 06:22 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 942829
DevBiker Reputation: 88

I agree that it is odd. It doesn't smell (to me at least) like an issue with software incompatibility. The only other thing that I could suggest is that you check your motherboard USB drivers and make sure that they are updated.

If I understand you correctly, it only works when you boot the system and then connect the USB, right? Do you ... perhaps ... have QuickBoot enabled in your BIOS? What happens if you disable it?

And ... have you checked device manager after booting (when it's not working) to see if there are any disabled devices showing in there?

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:46 PM
shankar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 942857

I had tried disabling fast boot in the past but just now tried it again and nothing changed. And, no the nothing comes up as disabled either.

Funnily enough, I just did something for the heck of it. I disconnected everything that was connected via USB (externally at least) and tried again and strangely enough, it worked. The fans came up and even the profile worked correctly. Well, it worked for at least a couple of times and just when I thought I had it solved, at least as a workaround to opening up the case, it stopped working.

Not sure what triggered it to work. I do remember that I had used USBDview to try and enable the LNP. USBDview does not show it as connected till I reconnect it.

There is some conflict on USB and I can't put my finger on it. The only other things connected via USB are the Kraken x62 and my case connectors for the front USB ports.

I think the fans themselves are ok I feel. Ah well...

Old 03-01-2018, 10:27 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 942863

OK ... that motherboard has 2 internal USB headers any by my count of what you have connected, you need 3 for everything. (1 for the Kraken, 1 for the NoPro and 1 for the Front Panel). So how do you have these connected to the 2 headers?

Another alternative is to get a mini USB to USB-A cable (any should do) and use that to connect to one of the ports externally. Yes, that will work.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:42 PM
shankar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 942866

The two USB 2.0 headers on the board are connected to the Kraken and Lighting Node Pro respectively.

I have connected the front panel using a USB 3.0 to a 9 pin USB 2.0 converter to one of the free USB 3.0 headers on the board.

I had tried the USB A to mini USB cable and tried connecting to one of the ports in the back earlier but then at that time, I had things connected externally as well (like my USB dongle for the wireless keyboards etc.). I will try again without anything else connected and see if that works.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:27 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 942868

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar View Post
The two USB 2.0 headers on the board are connected to the Kraken and Lighting Node Pro respectively.

I have connected the front panel using a USB 3.0 to a 9 pin USB 2.0 converter to one of the free USB 3.0 headers on the board.
OK. Had to ask, of course.

Quote:
I had tried the USB A to mini USB cable and tried connecting to one of the ports in the back earlier but then at that time, I had things connected externally as well (like my USB dongle for the wireless keyboards etc.). I will try again without anything else connected and see if that works.
Did this exhibit the same behavior?

Also, make sure that you use a full USB data cable. Some only connect the power; be careful of that. (Spoken from experience, in case you were wondering).

I'm beginning to wonder if it might be worth an RMA at this point. This certainly isn't proper behavior; it's like the MCU isn't initializing properly.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:11 PM
shankar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 942990

Ok, here's the update...

The mini USB cable worked. I had tried one in the past which did not work and this time I tried another one. Thanks for the tip to make sure the mini USB cable is a full data cable.

Now, I will keep it running to see if it is stable. At least I can be sure that the fans and the LNP are ok. I unfortunately have hit a roadblock with RMA since I had bought these fans from Newegg and these are not officially available in my country as of now. The RMA with Corsair US will be a long drawn and expensive process. No point going through it if the fans are not causing the problem.

I'd hate to run a cable to outside and to the rear of the case but that will be my last resort. I do have a NZXT internal USB hub which is also powered. Maybe I can try using that. I did not want to jam this hub in if it was not really required. Shall keep you posted, my friend....

Old 03-02-2018, 05:22 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 942991

Quote:
Ok, here's the update...

The mini USB cable worked. I had tried one in the past which did not work and this time I tried another one. Thanks for the tip to make sure the mini USB cable is a full data cable.

Now, I will keep it running to see if it is stable. At least I can be sure that the fans and the LNP are ok. I unfortunately have hit a roadblock with RMA since I had bought these fans from Newegg and these are not officially available in my country as of now. The RMA with Corsair US will be a long drawn and expensive process. No point going through it if the fans are not causing the problem.

I'd hate to run a cable to outside and to the rear of the case but that will be my last resort. I do have a NZXT internal USB hub which is also powered. Maybe I can try using that. I did not want to jam this hub in if it was not really required. Shall keep you posted, my friend....
Excellent! Let's see how it goes. I do use the NZXT internal hub ... motherboards have been skimping on the internal USB headers lately ... and it does work pretty well. It also has USB-A connectors so you can connect that external cable directly to it! It may also be possible to just get a replacement cable ... not sure; haven't looked for one myself.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:05 PM
shankar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 943000

Alright, done for now. This really has been a strange experience

NZXT did not work and when i checked, most of the USB ports in the back or elsewhere did not work either. There is only one port that actually works even if I power the system down; and that's the USB 2.0 port which supports Asus USB Bios flashback.

Coincidentally, the first time I chose this particular port by chance. Anyway, I have managed to run the cable out to the port without too much of a hassle (had to work my way through one of the expansion slot back plate. Looks neat enough and at least I don't have to keep opening my system to get the fans working and I can finally power it down when not in use.

I still feel there could be a bios setting or something that should allow the fans to connect and work the way they are supposed to. Will keep checking..but for now, am closing it up. Hope this helps people with Asus boards and facing this problem.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:39 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 943009

Quote:
Alright, done for now. This really has been a strange experience

NZXT did not work and when i checked, most of the USB ports in the back or elsewhere did not work either. There is only one port that actually works even if I power the system down; and that's the USB 2.0 port which supports Asus USB Bios flashback.

Coincidentally, the first time I chose this particular port by chance. Anyway, I have managed to run the cable out to the port without too much of a hassle (had to work my way through one of the expansion slot back plate. Looks neat enough and at least I don't have to keep opening my system to get the fans working and I can finally power it down when not in use.

I still feel there could be a bios setting or something that should allow the fans to connect and work the way they are supposed to. Will keep checking..but for now, am closing it up. Hope this helps people with Asus boards and facing this problem.
Yeah ... I'm thinking that there has to be something in the BIOS to do with the USB initialization as well. That's just weird. And you disable fast boot, right? That should initialize everything.

I also have an Asus board. No problems ... with 2 NoPros, a CoPro, an H115i Pro and an HX1200i all running just fine.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:55 AM
shankar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 943049

Yeah, tried with fast boot disabled as well. Must be something to do with this particular board, bios setting, or bios version. I'll keep trying whenever I get a chance...will keep switching ports in the back to see what helps.

At least am happy I did not have to RMA and if I had managed RMA, they would've ended up asking for restocking fee since the fans seem ok.

That's a mighty system you have there...12 fans and 8 LED strips

Old 03-03-2018, 09:26 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 943055

Quote:
Yeah, tried with fast boot disabled as well. Must be something to do with this particular board, bios setting, or bios version. I'll keep trying whenever I get a chance...will keep switching ports in the back to see what helps.

At least am happy I did not have to RMA and if I had managed RMA, they would've ended up asking for restocking fee since the fans seem ok.
Come back and let us know if you ever figure it out. And Corsair doesn't ask for a restocking fee .. unless you meant your retailer.

Quote:
That's a mighty system you have there...12 fans and 8 LED strips
Thanks! I'm fixin' to get 4 more strips (at least). It's how I get my Vitamin D. Zotty has more strips tho ...

Old 03-03-2018, 04:37 PM
nam.uk's PC Specs

POST ID # = 943109
nam.uk Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
Excellent! Let's see how it goes. I do use the NZXT internal hub ... motherboards have been skimping on the internal USB headers lately ... and it does work pretty well. It also has USB-A connectors so you can connect that external cable directly to it! It may also be possible to just get a replacement cable ... not sure; haven't looked for one myself.
use this on my psu link on my inateck pci-e usb card and works well,
also got the NZXT order
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.akasa.co.uk/update.php?t...del=EXUSBIE-40

Old 03-04-2018, 12:07 AM
shankar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 943133

Quote:
Originally Posted by nam.uk View Post
use this on my psu link on my inateck pci-e usb card and works well,
also got the NZXT order
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.akasa.co.uk/update.php?t...del=EXUSBIE-40
Thanks Nam.uk. I did manage to solve it for now by modifying one of the back plates and connecting the CLNP with a mini USB to USB type A cable. There is something not correct with my motherboard and am trying to find the root cause.

I'll keep your suggestion in mind...seems like a good product

Old 04-04-2018, 12:51 AM
Dajinn's PC Specs

POST ID # = 948527
Dajinn Reputation: 10

Quote:
Thanks Nam.uk. I did manage to solve it for now by modifying one of the back plates and connecting the CLNP with a mini USB to USB type A cable. There is something not correct with my motherboard and am trying to find the root cause.

I'll keep your suggestion in mind...seems like a good product
Bro, I also have the R5E10 motherboard, and have the exact same problem. It's weird to say the least. Most of all I'm annoyed that instead of multiple USB 2.0 headers there's only 1 + 1 usb 3.0 header on bottom of the board. I had to get a USB 3.0 header to USB 2.0 male header to adapt the cable on the LNP to be able to plug it into my mobo.

For me, after clearing CMOS, I had to do what you suggested. Which was unplug power and USB and plug back in.

My guess is after reading this thread there's nothing wrong with the mobo itself but that ASUS has some weird implementation with their USB controller(s). I've pretty much enabled all of the relevant settings that I could think of related to USB, initialization, and boot for it.

Tags
link, ll, lnp