The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-13-2019, 04:51 PM
anamaroth anamaroth is offline
Registered User
anamaroth's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 1018097
anamaroth Reputation: 10
Question H100i RGB PLATINUM SE, can't screw in the screws into the radiator

I have H100i RGB PLATINUM SE. Screws on both sides of the radiator do not go in their respective sockets, because they are blocked by the actual radiator grid on the other side of the screw holes. I have found a few people discussing this issue on 3rd party websites (https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topi...crews-too-long) and it seems that I am supposed to just force the screws in, deforming the radiator (which I understand does not impact its performance), however, when i tried to do this it seemed like I needed a lot of force to do this, which made me concerned for the structural integrity of the screws and the threads. So what should I do?

Edit: I just realized that the screws barely go in the holes at all. Maybe half a rotation, which means the issue is with the threads in the radiator.
Edit2: all the pics: https://imgur.com/a/oKLJ1al
Edit3: (At a closer inspection it really looke like there's too much paint on the radiator, which is preventing the screws from going in) - incorrect
Edit4: It seems they put the wrong screws in the package. AMD screw clips can be screwed in with ease, and they are about 1mm thinner than all the other screws in the package.

Last edited by anamaroth; 09-14-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 09-13-2019, 04:54 PM
c-attack c-attack is offline
Registered User
c-attack's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,228
POST ID # = 1018098
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107
Default

Uh no. Stop. Screws do not go through the radiator. If you are mounting fans to it, you use the longer 27-30mm 6-32 machine screws. If you are mounting the radiator to case, you only need the very short 6-32 machine screws. At no time do you pierce the radiator with the long screws.
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 09-13-2019, 05:09 PM
anamaroth anamaroth is offline
Registered User
anamaroth's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 1018101
anamaroth Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
Uh no. Stop. Screws do not go through the radiator. If you are mounting fans to it, you use the longer 27-30mm 6-32 machine screws. If you are mounting the radiator to case, you only need the very short 6-32 machine screws. At no time do you pierce the radiator with the long screws.
https://imgur.com/a/QIJwiZZ
here's a picture. This is the long screw came with the cooler. It does not go in any further. Same situation for the shorter screws for the radiator mounting. Are the threads on the radiator defective?

Last edited by anamaroth; 09-13-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 09-13-2019, 05:52 PM
anamaroth anamaroth is offline
Registered User
anamaroth's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 1018106
anamaroth Reputation: 10
Default Found more on the topic

Found some other people discussing the topic here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Corsair/com...rews_dont_fit/
The problem is that they still suggest to just apply an amount of force that "doesn't feel right", which I won't do (because im afraid of damaging the threads) until I get some confirmation from this forum (or the ticket that I have submitted).

Last edited by anamaroth; 09-13-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 09-13-2019, 06:47 PM
c-attack c-attack is offline
Registered User
c-attack's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,228
POST ID # = 1018111
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107
Default

I think the relevant shot would be of the radiator screw hole itself and whether one of the short screws will thread at all. It's hard for us to see or do much on this end, but this is the first report of this I have seen for the Platinum coolers in this forum. Bad drilling on the assembly line? Wrong screws included? Something else? It's hard to say.
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 09-14-2019, 03:40 AM
anamaroth anamaroth is offline
Registered User
anamaroth's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 1018149
anamaroth Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
I think the relevant shot would be of the radiator screw hole itself and whether one of the short screws will thread at all. It's hard for us to see or do much on this end, but this is the first report of this I have seen for the Platinum coolers in this forum. Bad drilling on the assembly line? Wrong screws included? Something else? It's hard to say.
https://imgur.com/a/oKLJ1al

Some more pics. All the screws on the pictures are either fan screws or radiator screws that came with the cooling system. They are screwed in as far as I could screw them, which is about half a rotation. Trying to apply more force makes the screwdriver pop out of the socket on the screw's head.
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 09-14-2019, 07:49 AM
c-attack c-attack is offline
Registered User
c-attack's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,228
POST ID # = 1018166
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107
Default

I am open to second opinions, but those all look like #8 screws to me. A standard short stubby fan screw that comes in with your average fan is #8 and those are also used for some custom cooling radiators, like Hardware Labs and Corsair's Hydro X line. However, most AIO radiators are #6-32 machine. When you put a #6 screw through the fan hole, there should be plenty of daylight around the shaft. A #8 screw has less than a millimeter and is as big as can go through the fan.

I am not sure if the wrong screws were included in the Platinum cooler's kit or if they came from somewhere else, but don't using the the #8 will permanently alter the radiator mounting holes. 6-32 machine screws can be found everywhere, including at your local hardware store. They don't have to be specialty "PC screws". However, if you want black you likely need to order them from a PC supplier, Corsair, or see if they are hiding in the box somewhere.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 09-14-2019, 09:04 AM
anamaroth anamaroth is offline
Registered User
anamaroth's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 1018175
anamaroth Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
I am open to second opinions, but those all look like #8 screws to me. A standard short stubby fan screw that comes in with your average fan is #8 and those are also used for some custom cooling radiators, like Hardware Labs and Corsair's Hydro X line. However, most AIO radiators are #6-32 machine. When you put a #6 screw through the fan hole, there should be plenty of daylight around the shaft. A #8 screw has less than a millimeter and is as big as can go through the fan.

I am not sure if the wrong screws were included in the Platinum cooler's kit or if they came from somewhere else, but don't using the the #8 will permanently alter the radiator mounting holes. 6-32 machine screws can be found everywhere, including at your local hardware store. They don't have to be specialty "PC screws". However, if you want black you likely need to order them from a PC supplier, Corsair, or see if they are hiding in the box somewhere.
Here's what I found: the "AMD Screw clip" can be screwed into the radiator with ease. And it seems to be 1mm thinner in diameter than the screws that came with the radiator. Added 3 more pics at the end: https://imgur.com/a/oKLJ1al

Guess they put the wrong screws in the package. Can I demand the proper screws from Corsair?
thanks for the help, c-attack

Last edited by anamaroth; 09-14-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 09-14-2019, 11:18 AM
c-attack c-attack is offline
Registered User
c-attack's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,228
POST ID # = 1018183
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107
Default

The "on the table shot" is almost 1:1 on my monitor and I am holding a long ~30mm 6-32 next to it. It looks really close to being right. However, when I scan your short screws, it looks like there is a mix of #6 and #8. In the on the table shot, the short screw just above the AMD key is a #6. The next one above it is a #8. Could there be both sizes mixed in for short and long?

Yes, you could contact Corsair Tech Support through the ticket system and ask for help. whether that is screws or something else. However, that may not be an expedient solution. Depending on where you purchased, a return may be faster or certainly picking up screws locally. At this point, I would want to try a #6 screw of any length to make sure the threads are still capable of supporting it.
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 09-14-2019, 11:49 AM
anamaroth anamaroth is offline
Registered User
anamaroth's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 1018186
anamaroth Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
The "on the table shot" is almost 1:1 on my monitor and I am holding a long ~30mm 6-32 next to it. It looks really close to being right. However, when I scan your short screws, it looks like there is a mix of #6 and #8. In the on the table shot, the short screw just above the AMD key is a #6. The next one above it is a #8. Could there be both sizes mixed in for short and long?

Yes, you could contact Corsair Tech Support through the ticket system and ask for help. whether that is screws or something else. However, that may not be an expedient solution. Depending on where you purchased, a return may be faster or certainly picking up screws locally. At this point, I would want to try a #6 screw of any length to make sure the threads are still capable of supporting it.
I bought some screws from the local hardware store, which are of the same thickness as the Amd pin, and have successfully installed the cooling system with them. These hardware-store-screws also came with nuts, which I used to test all the came-with-the-cooler-screws, and all the came-with-the-cooler-screws are too big for the nuts. I am just disappointed I had to spend extra 7 EUR (and a lot of weekend time) to install a 155 EUR cooling system.
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 09-15-2019, 02:03 AM
shadow85 shadow85 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 13
POST ID # = 1018240
shadow85 Reputation: 10
Default

I have same issue with h115i Platinum cooler. The long fan screws do not go all the win and leaves the fan dangling from the radiator.

I am top mounting the rad so that means the fans will fall onto the screw head leaving a gap between the rad and the fans and surely that can't be ideal for performance.

Am I suppose to force tighten the fans and rad close with these long screws? Why arn't they the correct length.

This is unacceptable for such expensive hardware.
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 09-15-2019, 03:34 AM
Wardy940 Wardy940 is offline
Registered User
Wardy940's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 3
POST ID # = 1018242
Wardy940 Reputation: 10
Default

I've just done a build with h100i Platinum SE and I had the same problem. I'm not at all happy with the quality of this cooler. Because I'd already damaged the fins underneath one of the holes, I figured I'd not get a refund and I just went for it. I forced the screws in carefully, making sure they went nowhere near the cooling channels and just left it out for an hour to make sure there was no leaking. It's worked fine.

I just figured that the holes weren't drilled properly. But I would recommend finding new screws or at least grinding a few mil of the screws included.
Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 09-16-2019, 05:04 PM
anamaroth anamaroth is offline
Registered User
anamaroth's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 1018388
anamaroth Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow85 View Post
I have same issue with h115i Platinum cooler. The long fan screws do not go all the win and leaves the fan dangling from the radiator.

I am top mounting the rad so that means the fans will fall onto the screw head leaving a gap between the rad and the fans and surely that can't be ideal for performance.

Am I suppose to force tighten the fans and rad close with these long screws? Why arn't they the correct length.

This is unacceptable for such expensive hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardy940 View Post
I've just done a build with h100i Platinum SE and I had the same problem. I'm not at all happy with the quality of this cooler. Because I'd already damaged the fins underneath one of the holes, I figured I'd not get a refund and I just went for it. I forced the screws in carefully, making sure they went nowhere near the cooling channels and just left it out for an hour to make sure there was no leaking. It's worked fine.

I just figured that the holes weren't drilled properly. But I would recommend finding new screws or at least grinding a few mil of the screws included.
In my case the issue wasn't the length of the screws, but their thickness. Corsair has supplied screws with the wrong diameter. Check if AMD Pins that came with your cooling system can be screwed in with ease. If they can be: go to your local hardware store and buy all the other screws (short case mount screws and long fan mount screws) with the same diameter and they should go in easily.

But yeah, supplying wrong screws is completely unacceptable for such an expensive cooling system
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 09-16-2019, 07:22 PM
shadow85 shadow85 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 13
POST ID # = 1018403
shadow85 Reputation: 10
Default

anyways, I left it as is and tested my 9900K @ 5GHz -> 4.6GHz and it seemed to have hit a max temp of 70°C so I assume it is working OK.
Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 09-17-2019, 12:52 PM
xMacias xMacias is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 295
POST ID # = 1018473
xMacias Reputation: 20
Default

I just drive the long fan screw in far enough to hold the fan in place. Damaging the fins a tiny amount doesn't really matter.
Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
h100i, radiator, screws

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.