The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 09:29 PM
dean1962's PC Specs

POST ID # = 494444
dean1962 Reputation: 10
Default New Install - Sleep Issue

Hi all,

Not directly pointing the finger at my new F60 as yet just looking for a solution to my sleep issues I'm having with my new build.

First up my setup:

Windows 7 64 Bit
Gigabyte G41MT-S2P (Non AHCI)
DDR 3 Corsair (New)
F60 Ver 2.0 Firmware (Primary)
WD250 Gig (Secondary)

Okay installed Windows no problem apart from the fact the mainboard has no option for AHCI much to my disappointment, so running in IDE mode.

Installed the latest chipset drivers from Intel upon completion of install of windows which went okay as well.

In the Sleep options in the bios S1 or S3 only no auto. Both appear to work as intended until you go to wake up the system when it will hang and freeze the screen. Take the option off to sleep and its fine if you boot from a full shutdown.

It wakes up in super fast time I'm talking like 3-4 seconds from sleep but as mentioned it hangs and I have to do a reset to get back to normal operating mode.

Not pointing the finger directly at the SSD at this stage becuase I'm thinking about an issue with the mainboard as well. The Mobo has the latest firmware as well. Have downloaded memtest and will run that as well today but as mentioned Ram is new and mid range quality so not the cheaper end of the market.

Not knowing a lot about SSD's though I was thinking maybe an issue with running in non AHCI mode may have some issues? Enlighten me though as I'm looking for a solution here.

I have on my game rig another brand SSD with a higher spec Asus mobo and no issues at all with S3 sleep...never have been since day 1 of the install.

So if I'm missing something here would appreciate any help. Do SSD's like sleep mode? should the PC's be left on with no sleep mode? In the Power profile I have taken off the option to turn the drive off as well. Currently the system has sleep off altogether with the screen only going off.

Anyway your thoughts appreciated.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:44 AM
dean1962's PC Specs

POST ID # = 494503
Sad Any Ideas

Anyone ? Anyway I have tried different power profiles and S1 - S3 from the Bios - Hibinate off and still locks up.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:53 PM
dean1962's PC Specs

POST ID # = 494582

Okay no one so will post it into the " I'm having issues with Firmware Ver 2.0 then. Be nice to get some sort of reply from Corsair rep .... oh well

Old 03-22-2011, 08:12 AM
dean1962's PC Specs

POST ID # = 494657
Default Taking it out

Well tried just about everything I can think of and I really want a sleep feature to work so have decided to remove it from this PC and load it up again in a different box which has AHCI. Will try the Win 7 install again. If no luck in the new rig will RMA the unit back to Dealer.

Will refrain from further comment at this time until I have done further testing but to be honest I'm not overly impressed with whats happened so far.

Last edited by dean1962; 03-23-2011 at 01:58 AM.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Synbios's PC Specs

POST ID # = 494675
Synbios Reputation: 10
Send a message via AIM to Synbios

Quote:
Installed the latest chipset drivers from Intel upon completion of install of windows which went okay as well.
What do you mean by chipset drivers?

In your BIOS can you set your sleep mode to force S1 only and completely disable S3? With this you can still use sleep in a pretty standard way, it just keeps your CPU powered.

S1=CPU and RAM powered
S3=only RAM powered

Some systems have problems with these drives in S3 mode, but there shouldn't be any issues with S1.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:18 AM
dean1962's PC Specs

POST ID # = 494823

Intel INF installation ...... actually downloaded a newer version from the Intel site as opposed to what was on the disc.

As for the S1 I'm sure it locked up then as well but to be honest I have changed and re-arranged more settings than I care to remember but can say S3 is a real problem for me.

Have removed from the system now and in the process of re-installing into new box with AHCI.

Will post result soon ..... thanks for the reply

Old 03-23-2011, 12:47 AM
Synbios's PC Specs

POST ID # = 494829

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean1962 View Post
Intel INF installation
This is not really a driver. The Intel INF update utility is only a text file that updates the name of the chipset in device manager. Other than aesthetics I believe, it doesn't play any role in drivers.

The Intel RST or Matrix Storage Solution would. But since your board is IDE you can't use those. I would try the AHCI and hopefully you'll have better results.

There may be a new firmware update, so check back frequently.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:58 AM
dean1962's PC Specs

POST ID # = 494832
Default Rma

Hi there,

Okay installed into new system, first wake up from S3 went without a hitch...everything as normal, no lockups or issues.

Let it go a while and let it go to sleep itself and got a windows has recovered from un unexpected shut down. I didn't see anything unusual nor did I shut down just let it go to sleep.

I have in the power profile turned off hibinate and hybrib sleep settings off and set the hard drive to never go to sleep .... I'm picking that is okay?

Have the dump file as well if it is any good to you.

Attached Images
File Type: png bluescreen.png (522.9 KB, 193 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip 032311-7690-01.zip (48.5 KB, 122 views)

Old 03-23-2011, 01:06 AM
dean1962's PC Specs

POST ID # = 494833

Thanks for that info Synbios ..much apreciated...... might give the people I got it off a call and see what they think. Maybe better luck with the next firmware update.

Please fix it Corsair in the next update ..... love your Ram products and have used them for many years.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Synbios's PC Specs

POST ID # = 494890

Did you actually see the blue screen or did you happen to scroll down in that recovery window to see the event ID or stop error code? Check your event viewer in administrative tools.
I opened your dump file, unfortunately I believe your problem on your computer is due to something else: the BSOD was caused by nvlddmkm.sys which is an Nvidia problem. I would suggest updating your video card drivers if possible.

You do have an Nvidia video card in this system you were testing, I hope?

Last edited by Synbios; 03-23-2011 at 12:23 PM.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:04 PM
dean1962's PC Specs

POST ID # = 494984

Synbios for someone that doesn't work for Corsair I congratulate you. Your assistance is very much appreicated.

You are quite correct, it does have an Nvidia card in it, which as it turns out isn't in the driver list for Win 7 - 64 bit so I have put in another one which has driver support.

Further testing today so will post back my results. A blue screen did flash past before it booted into windows but will see if I can hold it on the screen ... or check out event viewer today.

Many thanks

Old 03-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Synbios's PC Specs

POST ID # = 494986

No problem, I hope that works for you. If you are still having problems due to the drive I would just keep checking back here I think there may be a firmware update coming out soon that might solve some of these problems.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:45 PM
dean1962's PC Specs

POST ID # = 494992
Default Your thoughts

Okay up and running with new Nvidia driver and first wake up session went okay. If all tests are good today might hold off putting it back into the primary system until new firmware is out.

Synbios I have download but not yet run the erase software, would you recommend that I do an erase of the drive before updating the firmware? Just that it is now on its third install of Windows and I'm thinking it may benefit being reset to factory defaults.

Cheers

Old 03-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Synbios's PC Specs

POST ID # = 494995

If you do update the firmware I would recommend you do the update first and then secure erase after.

I always recommend a secure erase before a fresh install of Windows as it does help with performance. However if you don't want to lose your Windows installation you can always use Acronis True Image Home 2011 and save the image of the drive to a backup hard drive, secure erase, and then restore the image. Acronis works very well with SSD and will maintain alignment and performance from the secure erase.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:45 AM
dean1962's PC Specs

POST ID # = 495008

Okay the latest info .... have put the drive back into the system I initially had problems with and made a few changes to the setup and touchwood seems okay after two starts from an S3 sleep.
With this main board originally it had the dvd drive on the same channel as the F60 hard drive so have moved the secondary hard drive and the dvd drive to the second channel and left the SSD on its own channel.
Only other thing I have changed is the sound, have disabled the onboard sound and gone with a PCI type sound blaster audigy 4 which has support in Win 7.

Anyway fingers crossed it continues to wake up. Tried the secure erase with Parted Magic Synbios but had a message come up about the drive being locked by bios, offered to do some external erase but wasn't sure so didn't continue with that.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot.png (22.0 KB, 192 views)