Corsair Community

GS800 (new) - NO power!

NSA

I have an ASUS m3n72-d mother board http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M3N72D/

It has worked like a champ for everything since day one. My PSU died a few weeks ago. The entire house smelled like a fried PSU. The CPU still functioned until I figured out pretty quickly is was the PSU. Nothing at all has changed on my build. It worked 100%, less the PSU. I plugged in my new Corsair GS 800 (2013 Gaming Edition) my motherboard is 4 pin. I happily turned it on and was READY TO GO! But, nothing! I disconnected and reconnected everything once and cleaned it Ultra Duster (Air). Still nothing! The standby light on the motherboard does blink. An ASUS rep told me that means it is getting some but not enough power. This is only my 3rd PSU installation. Most likely I did something wrong. Are there steps "greens/noobs" make? Could I have done something wrong? It is probably something very simple and my fault.

I am excited about getting it up and running. I am too old to get excited about computers too but..... :/

my guess would be something is bad in the m/b

you i assume plugged the 12 pin and 6 pin connector and os drive connections

what exactly does it do?

No you can not tell me that please. Is it really plug and play? Everything was hooked up as it initially was (HD/CD). After my first try of no power. I disconnected all connectors, cleaned them (air) and reconnected. I did them one by one with my manual out (diagram). This should be in my "scope". I've done it 2x before with instant success.

When I turn the power on, I am using the power cord I just tested on this CPU. NOTHING happens! No fan, no light, no sounds and no power. The "standby light" on the mother board does blink green. I was told by ASUS it should be solid and this indicates not enough power. Other than the steps you described can you think of anything else I might be missing? The light for my "card reader" also comes on (green). If not and no one else has thoughts. I will tale a look at the MB.

TY, Ty

If the PSU starts with a paperclip you can try the using the other half of the 4+4EPS connector. One half should be marked CPU.

If the PSU starts normally but the board does not, you have one of two situations...

1) Your old PSU when it died took the board with it.

2) Your board uses an older ATX spec than what the PSU is backwards compatible too. This happens quit often with older boards. If you have a friend that can help , try installing this PSU with another system. Or another PSu in yours

If the PSU starts with a paperclip you can try the using the other half of the 4+4EPS connector. One half should be marked CPU.

If the PSU starts normally but the board does not, you have one of two situations...

1) Your old PSU when it died took the board with it.

2) Your board uses an older ATX spec than what the PSU is backwards compatible too. This happens quit often with older boards. If you have a friend that can help , try installing this PSU with another system. Or another PSu in yours

I have not had the opportunity to play around with it yet. But that was my plan try both halves. I can get another board to try it with. Though doing this might tell me my board is dead. This is not what I want :)

I am not going to try this until I hear from someone here. I have not looked in my manual yet either. I have a few older PSUs purchased about the same time as the MB or a bit earlier. I am not sure what they are but could I use a lesser wattage PSU for testing purposes only? Or would that damage the MB? It would be quicker and easier for me as I have immediate access to other functional PSUs but no MB for a few more days.

TY for all the help!

In many cases, users doing troubleshooting have a situation where there is no apparent power to any portion of the system. They often wonder how they can test the PSU to see if it is working. Short of having a proper PSU tester, you can use this method to do a "quick n dirty" test to see if the PSU will spin up and power the 12v rails.

UPDATE FOR CORSAIR FANLESS MODE PSUs OCTOBER 2012

This same test is valid with our current PSUs models that utilize a Fanless Mode. Our PSUs with Fanless Mode at low loads do not spin up the fan at low loads. The fan will only spin up at certain loads so the PSU fan will not spin on a simple test like this. Be sure to check the specifications for your PSU to see if it does have a fanless mode.

If you are using the "paper clip test" we've listed here, you'll need to connect a component to the PSU that will present a load to the PSU and also allow you to see if it is getting power. A cooling fan is a great option so that you can see that fan spinning. Of course, using a volt meter is the best option.

1. Disconnect the PSU from ALL components in the system.

2. Hook 1 or more cooling fans to the PSU to give it a load. (You can use other items such as HDs but, I recommend using something cheaper and less fragile like a fan)

3. Get a small piece of wire, paper clip, or suitable object and short the 2 pins illustrated below. The voltage present is a very low signaling voltage so no worries of being shocked.

The fans should spin right up. This is not a bullet proof test but, it will let you know if your PSU is powering up properly.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2816&d=1193431475

Any luck? :confused:

Archived