Corsair Community

AX860i & AX1200i Owners; Noise?

VasVas

I just wanted to ask some AX860i & AX1200i Owners about a intermittent clicking noise I can hear from both my PSUs.

If you listen to your PSU when the computer is idle, do you hear an intermittent clicking noise that usually happens every 10-15 seconds. You have to listen really close..

I manage to locate the noise and I am sure it comes from the PSU fan, it sound like when the fan is not spinning, it still gets some voltage and emits the clicking noise.

If I turn the fan on with Corsair Link, the clicking noise disappears completely.

I am not completely sure if this is normal or I got really unlucky and received two defective PSUs :[pouts:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, there was an issue that was identified with them and Corsair has released a new firmware update wich i would suggest you give a try first.

It should be posted in the Corsair link forum stickys.

Really, that should also be a sticky here in the PSU forums and I will contact the admin to have it added here too!

Not having any clicking, the AX860i is perfectly silent, just wondering if I flash the firmware chip will it make the maximum fan spin-ups at boot and wake from sleep go away? Those max rpms are so unnecessary when the psu is ice cold. Already updated the CorsairLink software for the H100i, but where do we find the PSU firmware updates? Why are they not listed under the product page downloads? On the brighter side, Firmware for Power Supplies? WooHoo!:D:

Also my CorsairLink Dongle (man, I don't even like typing that word) thing, LED runs orange and flashes green every second back and forth, could not find anything in the manual about this behavior, assuming its ok, just want to make sure.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x358/MeanBruce/IMG_1148.jpg

Not having any clicking, the AX860i is perfectly silent, just wondering if I flash the firmware chip will it make the maximum fan spin-ups at boot and wake from sleep go away?

No it will not make the fans quit spinning up. That is the PSU running it's own selftest so thats normal and wont quit.

@mathew and Vasvas, the firmware update is for the LINK dongle and can be found on the Link section of the forums.

I am getting a similar noise. I can't identify the noise in words. It sounds somewhere between a buzz, very fast clicking noise, and continuous electric-spark noise (think Tesla-coil, but in smaller scale). Also happens from time to time, stops by itself after few seconds (sometimes, minutes). Is this the same noise that you are talking about? If the noise is harmless then I don't really care, but if it is symptomatic of failure then please let me know. Should I post about it seeking help from corsair officials?

I am getting a similar noise. I can't identify the noise in words. It sounds somewhere between a buzz, very fast clicking noise, and continuous electric-spark noise (think Tesla-coil, but in smaller scale). Also happens from time to time, stops by itself after few seconds (sometimes, minutes). Is this the same noise that you are talking about? If the noise is harmless then I don't really care, but if it is symptomatic of failure then please let me know. Should I post about it seeking help from corsair officials?

The noise I am getting is like a little knock. When the fan is off, I happens constantly every 10 sec or so very consistently.

No it will not make the fans quit spinning up. That is the PSU running it's own selftest so thats normal and wont quit.

@mathew and Vasvas, the firmware update is for the LINK dongle and can be found on the Link section of the forums.

So it's going to self-test itself 42times a day? I make short entries then pc back to sleep multiple times while working. If I just pull the dong dong dongle out and don't use the software monitoring will the fan stop maxing when the pc wakes?

Thanks man. Ugh!:[pouts:

edit: as the room heated up so did the PSU, getting some clicking now, as VasVas has noted, hearing it as the fan just begins to spin, like its grinding up the bearings. Aw help me Lawd!

Going to leave the AX860i out of the chassis for a few days just to monitor the fan behavior:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x358/MeanBruce/IMG_1190.jpg

Ok, after investigating my AX860i multiple times, I found the problem:[pouts:

at idle, when the fan is supposed to be inactive, it actually isn't.. the fan tries to kick start every 10 sec creating a clicking noise. I can actually see a tiny fan movement when the ticking sound happens.

Sound like RMA to me :[pouts::[pouts:

So it's going to self-test itself 42times a day? I make short entries then pc back to sleep multiple times while working. If I just pull the dong dong dongle out and don't use the software monitoring will the fan stop maxing when the pc wakes?

Thanks man. Ugh!:[pouts:

edit: as the room heated up so did the PSU, getting some clicking now, as VasVas has noted, hearing it as the fan just begins to spin, like its grinding up the bearings. Aw help me Lawd!

Going to leave the AX860i out of the chassis for a few days just to monitor the fan behavior:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x358/MeanBruce/IMG_1190.jpg

Can you notice the fan trying to spin every 10 - 15 sec??

Can you notice the fan trying to spin every 10 - 15 sec??

The characteristics are variable. Sometimes it does not spin at all, sometimes it is spinning to around 200 300rpm for short bursts 4 to 6 seconds.

I would not RMA so early if I was you. Just monitor the fan for a few days if you can. My fan spin seems to change depending on the temp of the room, this morning very cool, no spin, late afternoon with a warmer room getting two or three spin ups per minute.

From what I have heard the software has not been updated for Windows 8 yet, hopefully very soon, so if you are using Win8 Pro hold off on an RMA for a simpler fix if you can. Thanks for starting the thread man, I'll keep you updated on my findings.

edit: now with the window open and the room cooling down, last 5 minutes, one spin per minute, so there is a thermal component involved. In an hour when the sun goes down I'm guessing no spin at all.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x358/MeanBruce/IMG_1193.jpg

Cold or warm room temp doesn't make a difference with mine, fan still tries to spin every 10 sec. Does it even when I boot the computer.

I have also tested the psu on another computer to make sure it's not a compatibly issue and it did the same fan clicking noise:sigh!:

Ok, after investigating my AX860i multiple times, I found the problem:[pouts:

at idle, when the fan is supposed to be inactive, it actually isn't.. the fan tries to kick start every 10 sec creating a clicking noise. I can actually see a tiny fan movement when the ticking sound happens.

Sound like RMA to me :[pouts::[pouts:

Yes, Vas in your case it sounds like the fan controller is not working as it should. I would have your unit replaced.

Cold or warm room temp doesn't make a difference with mine, fan still tries to spin every 10 sec. Does it even when I boot the computer.

I have also tested the psu on another computer to make sure it's not a compatibly issue and it did the same fan clicking noise:sigh!:

Thanks peanutz94, I found the firmware update but it seems to be only for corsair link kits, not the dongle..

My USB dongle version is 0.9, not sure this is the latest firmware though.

The USB dongle is a LINK unit and thus uses the software. I would suggest trying the latest version and see if it changes anything.

At any rate, I would wait for RmGuy before both of you go any further. just to be sure.

I hope VasVas gets his issue resolved, but I'm not thinking RMA at all. I'm happy, very happy with the fan profiling. Just have to find a way to stop the fan spinning to maximum rpms at boot and wake. If it means pulling the USB connection and not using the software, that's fine with me, I need a quiet rig. The AX850 use to spin from sleep also but only 200 or 300 rpm est., not 2700 or some crazy number like that. I always say, there just has to be a way.:o:

The red coloring looks so good with the ROG boards, absolutely fantastic, been posting pics over at ROG with the PSU installed. Love it!

I am now facing another problem, I want to submit an RMA but can't find the AX860i in the Product list in the RMA section.

I am in the UK and am using the English international Corsair website.

fill out the RMA for and pick the closest unit. In the comments section where you get to explain your issue, let them know it is the 860I. And then post your case number in this thread and one of the Corsair employees can fix that for you.

@mathew scores,

I hope VasVas gets his issue resolved, but I'm not thinking RMA at all. I'm happy, very happy with the fan profiling. Just have to find a way to stop the fan spinning to maximum rpms at boot and wake. If it means pulling the USB connection and not using the software, that's fine with me, I need a quiet rig. The AX850 use to spin from sleep also but only 200 or 300 rpm est., not 2700 or some crazy number like that. I always say, there just has to be a way.

It has nothing to do with the software at all. It is programed into the PSU fan controller itself and there is nothing that can be done to stop the PSU fan from spinning at 100% at boot up or resume from sleep. As noted that is the PSU running it's own self test. And there are no adjustments in the LiNK software that would be able to shut that off either.

While the LINK software does give you all kinds of control over voltages , fan speed curves and so on, that is one setting that is hard coded.

I would just leave the system on if it something that you go to that many times a day . Those units will use almost no power at idle condition or how ever much is needed to run the system at idle. They are not like the older PSU's that would "leak" power when not really being used.

Leaving it on or not using sleep or resume would be the best way to keep it quiet except for your initial boot up. Sorry.

And please I'm not knocking you but just asking if that is something you go to as you say"42 times a day" why not just leave it running ? If it is purely a sound standpoint, i would have picked a different PSU or one that is completely fan-less. They are out there, just unfortunate that Corsair does not make one.:(:

It’s not like I’m the type of person that is unfamiliar with Corsair products, or never does any research or purchases haphazardly. No, the extreme opposite is true. Even went over the fan profiling and waste heat produced in both the AX860i and AX1200i, not because I needed that much power with a single card system, but wanted to avoid that space-heater effect after long hours at the pc, especially in summer. Spoke with George and Tazz at JonnyGuru at length about which part would be best for my needs, working in multiple office apps all day, most likely only pulling 125watts or 16 to 18%, easily staying below that 20% mark most of the day, so the AX760i or AX860i were deemed the best choice for greater efficiency and less heat pumped into the office space. Only reason was considering the AX1200i is the fan spin threshold was sited at 30% and at the time the AX860i only 20%, so it gave me greater wattage draw in hybrid-fanless mode. Then one reviewer stated the AX860i is also 30%, yet the graph had not been changed on the packaging, and Tazz recorded 25% in his testing.

The fan spin to maximum is not a big deal once a day at start-up, but I write for a living and sometimes come to the pc to add multiple short entries thoughout the day so use sleep mode quite a bit and the max fan sound is really an annoyance when you are trying to place that perfect thought down on paper. Makes you forget your focus very easily. I know there is no thermal reason for it to occur.

Cannot believe there is no software or firmware workaround. Coming from two years with the quiet AX850, this is going to be difficult to live with. It seems like a feature you would find in a $400 Dell computer (and PSU) and not something you would have to deal with in a highly customizable rig, or at least have the option to eliminate. Actually assumed the digitization and software additions to the part would make it more customizable and feature laden, not less.

Thanks for your help peanutz94. It's too bad you and I cannot make these engineering decisions, yet we can't.

Anyone from Corsair has a thought about my fan issue??

The fan tries to kick start every 10 sec creating a clicking noise. I can actually see a tiny fan movement when the ticking sound happens. It happens all the time, even on startup when the computer is cold..:sigh!:

• Corsair Employee
I have have answered this question before many times and this is normal at low RPM or when just starting or stopping. And the fan may make a slight clicking sound but should not be noticeable mounted inside the case with all of the other fans running.

The fan actually doesn't start at all, it just moves a tiny bit every 10 sec when the computer is idling. It will only start when under load, Which is normal I guess.

My old ax850 never did that, the fan was completely off when idle.

• Corsair Employee
The fan actually doesn't start at all, it just moves a tiny bit every 10 sec when the computer is idling. It will only start when under load, Which is normal I guess.

When you have the AX860i fan profile in quiet mode in Link software, then that is perfectly normal.

:mad:After 6days of trying my hardest to like this psu: mounted in chassis with the 650D side panel closed, the increased heat makes the fan spin up constantly and consistently to audible levels then back down again, then up again. It's a crazy nonsensical rollercoaster serving no thermal purpose. The engineers that decided this should resign. This is not Corsair forethought or quality.

The Yate-Loon fan and non-Seasonic OEM should have been my first sign of warning to not purchase the AX860i. I was lured in by the software and the hope of improved functionality believing Corsair would never let me down, or take a step backwards. Well they did, at least the engineer’s rush to judgment did. Now I regret it and its being sent back after finding out just how engineering chose the wrong fan to make deadline and the wrong fan profile for this first attempt at digital.

I was told the fan would not spin until 170watts out or up to 258watts out depending on what review you read or which Corsair product manager you speak with. None of that is true, my rig uses from 84 watts to 130watts with video rendering, a single video card, and the fan spins 6 or 7 times a minute up and down up and down and not at low levels, levels where you have to look over at the pc and wonder what is going on? There is no thermal reason for it to spin up at all. This was a rush product and is not ready for prime-time.

In the future hoping Corsair and Seasonic again return as partners and produce an i-variant that small business and home users can live with. There is a cost-efficiency to NOT redesigning a part and simply move it from a data-center server environment to a small office environment without making any changes or considerations for the new user. That’s what Corsair decided to do to get the part out before Holidays. Well they aren’t fooling anyone. This is not a consumer, gamer or small business product. This is still a server-data center product. If you don’t mind listening to your fan whirl up every 12seconds to audible levels for no apparent reason then this psu will suit you fine. If you are moving from an AX850 consumer product and wishing for the same silent operation you will be extremely disappointed.:mad:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x358/MeanBruce/IMG_1199.jpg

Archived