The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2014, 08:34 PM

POST ID # = 725701
Whatshappened Reputation: 10
Default Brand new Corsair PSU fan noise + unable to run brand new R9 280?

I bought a brand new CX600 PSU.

It seemed to run everything pretty well. World of Warcraft played on Ultra with my ATI R9 280 with no issues at all.

Then I bought a new case, a Sonata 500. Installed everything very carefully, made sure that no wires were touching anything, or in the way of fans etc.

Randomly whilst the machine was running whilst installing some software, the PSU fan started to make an annoying ticking sound. I thought maybe it was because I had turned on CE1 and some other power saving modes in the BIOS. I read here in the forums that I should turn off all sorts of power saving modes etc. in the BIOS. I did so and it didn't change anything. Everything else is seriously whisper quiet, except the PSU fan.

In addition to that, I cannot seem to run any sort of game or any benchmark any more.

When I tried to run FurMark at even the lowest setting (with the newest AMD graphics drivers installed)

There was a loud pop from inside my case and then a bad burning/electric smell that sounded like a blown capacitor/etc. I couldn't locate where exactly that it came from, but it did seem to smell like it came from inside the PSU when I put my nose to the back of the vent.

The thing is, the computer boots fine... well... almost always. Sometimes it seems to hang on a flashing cursor just before booting to Windows. I checked and double checked my connections and everything seems to be connected up fine, and out of the way of touching any metal or anything. It can't be a connector issue or anything else, because the computer only seems to fail when I try and pull actual power out of the PSU for games/benchmarks. If it was something shorting out, then it would short out the moment the power turns on.

Is my PSU faulty/dead? I mean it seems to be able to provide enough power to boot my PC. Though when I try and pull any load from it, it just gives up. The PC seems to be still 'on' but the screen shows some solid colour/graphical artefact or the screen goes completely black and I have to reset the machine.

I ran a benchmark once more with the case open and the moment I ran FurMark, there was a pop again, plus the same solid screen artefact and the PC required a reset... I guess I don't need to test it a third time. I don't want this PSU to damage the rest of my computer if that is what it is doing.

What are your suggestions?

Tags
cx600, death, freeze, furmark, reboot