Corsair Community

CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 - Not so identical kits

faschimi

Dear folks,

In December 2010, I purchased from Amazon.com a CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 memory kit, to be installed on a new computer which I was assembling. The two 4 GB memory sticks were installed on an ASROCK 890Fx Deluxe4 motherboard, along with an AMD Phenom II X6 processor.

During the past two years the memory has worked flawless, so I decided to purchase a second CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 kit, again from Amazon, to expand the total RAM memory to 16 GB, the maximum allowed by the motherboard. And I did it clicking on the same advertised product on Amazon which I purchased two years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-PC3-10666-240-Pin-Memory-CMX8GX3M2A1333C9/dp/B003N8GVUY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360716344&sr=1-1

Believing that I was dealing with four identical memory sticks, I have just installed the two new sticks and turn on the computer. And I got... BSOD. So, I would have to run some tests on Memtest86+... :mad:

First, I checked the memory settings on the BIOS setup. When I installed the first two sticks two years ago, I have to manually set the frequency, the voltage and the timings to 1333 MHz, 1.5 V and 9-9-9-24, because in the AUTO settings these values were completely different (1066 MHz, 1.6 V and 8-8-8-20 - and these AUTO settings also causes BSOD).

I tested on Memtest86+ the sticks of the new kit, first one at a time, then the two sticks together and finally the four sticks. I also did some "fine tune" in the BIOS settings, then cleared the CMOS... but the fact is that each kit works alone, but when they are all together, Memtest86 reports some few errors, almost always in tests #4 and #6:

12022013345.thumb.jpg.cc1253df6280fe4c4c83d3410c293643.jpg

I also ran CPU-Z and this is the weird situation: despite of having the same part number, the sticks apparently do not have the same specifications... :confused:

- Stick of the first kit (purchased in Dec/10):

attachment.php?attachmentid=12149&stc=1&d=1360757767

Stick photo: 12022013346.thumb.jpg.3b82050a543a0aa0ff243f4696d19c68.jpg

- Stick of the second kit (purchased in Jan/13):

attachment.php?attachmentid=12148&stc=1&d=1360757858

Stick photo: 12022013348.thumb.jpg.3cf7039a02e745d843b68e97adece6be.jpg

So, the questions are:

- Why do these sticks have different specifications, if they have the same part number?

- Is there a way to put all these sticks to work together, without BSODs or errors reported by Memtest86+?

The "memory" section of the motherboard BIOS setup is very comprehensive, there are lots of parameters to be set. Maybe I'm missing something… :[pouts:

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

cpuz4-1.png.643f7265f62264514ae6636498b990ec.png

cpuz4-2.png.1cad0e3e367947ed9f9921e77064951e.png

So, the questions are:

- Why do these sticks have different specifications, if they have the same part number?

- Is there a way to put all these sticks to work together, without BSODs or errors reported by Memtest86+?

Are they different version numbers? As synthohol pointed out Corsair does not suggest or support mixing combining memory for the very reason you are facing now.

It's always best to replace and not add or get one single matched kit that needs to be capacity you are wanting.

I tested on Memtest86+ the sticks of the new kit, first one at a time, then the two sticks together and finally the four sticks. I also did some "fine tune" in the BIOS settings, then cleared the CMOS... but the fact is that each kit works alone, but when they are all together, Memtest86 reports some few errors, almost always in tests #4 and #6:

This would be from mixing the two kits. If they work alone and not combined there may be nothing you can do to get them stable.

Are they different version numbers? As synthohol pointed out Corsair does not suggest or support mixing combining memory for the very reason you are facing now.

Please check the sticks photos... The one from the first kit is ver8.11 and the second kit is ver8.16.

But how could I know these version numbers before actually buying the kit?

Please check the sticks photos... The one from the first kit is ver8.11 and the second kit is ver8.16.

But how could I know these version numbers before actually buying the kit?

You can't unless your buying them from a local shop or something where you can actually see the numbers. Most places on the Internet or other large chains like Newegg and amazon won't let you see what they have in stock or have no way of letting you ask for a specific version.

Again, though this is why only one kit per MB is supported. It's not just Corsair, it's all memory manufactures. As technology mover forward things change and they all get their chips from the same pool of manufacturers. So if the manufacturers change or update the chips thats what will be used ..

Again, though this is why only one kit per MB is supported. It's not just Corsair, it's all memory manufactures. As technology mover forward things change and they all get their chips from the same pool of manufacturers. So if the manufacturers change or update the chips thats what will be used ..

Very disappointed with this... if the things change, the part number also must be changed. I am aware of the implications of mixing memory sticks with different specifications, that is why I choose to buy the same kit. But I was expecting it was the same product of two years ago. :mad:

peanutz94, thank you very much for your help!

Very disappointed with this... if the things change, the part number also must be changed. I am aware of the implications of mixing memory sticks with different specifications, that is why I choose to buy the same kit. But I was expecting it was the same product of two years ago.

NP, and I do understand the disappointment. But this just doesn't effect Corsair . It is industry wide since they all get the chips from the same pool of vendors and why it is always suggested to either get one kit right off the bat that meets your needs or to replace your existing memory and not add to it. If the chip vendors dont produce a certain size anymore the manufacturers have to make revisions to their modules to reflect that .

At any rate if you need anything else we'll be here.

Archived