Corsair Community

Anyway to add Thunderbolt?

DistortedAxis

Quick Question...

We have 5X brand Corsair One I160's at work thanks to the purchasing department.

Before we send them back, is there any way to add or upgrade to Thunderbolt connectivity? [even with aftermarket components which we are aware would void the warranty]

We need thunderbolt ports -- no way around it unfortunately. Really hate to send these back :(

• Corsair Employee

Hi there,

Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to add thunderbolt to i160 unless you do a motherboard swap. As you stated, this would void the warranty of course.

Depending on what you need to connect to over thunderbolt, it's entirely possible that if it's a display you could use an adapter to get it working over a traditional DisplayPort.

This is probably more of wish for future customers, but we had to ditch the i180 from our studio staff because of no thunderbolt.

We need to have eGPUs bolted to the workstations for rendering purposes, and quite frankly we were surprised to see that for the price, this is beyond a bottleneck.

Pity indeed, otherwise we would've bought these immediately they started shipping :/

• Corsair Employee
This is probably more of wish for future customers, but we had to ditch the i180 from our studio staff because of no thunderbolt.

We need to have eGPUs bolted to the workstations for rendering purposes, and quite frankly we were surprised to see that for the price, this is beyond a bottleneck.

Pity indeed, otherwise we would've bought these immediately they started shipping :/

Sorry it didn't work out! Your feedback is greatly appreciated, we've been looking into adding Thunderbolt in future releases, however we don't have a timeline to share at this point.

Thunderbolt 3 on Windows-based machines has largely been in the realm of notebooks, with some recent developments, I personally hope that changes (especially if we see more desktop motherboards include the feature).

Edited by Corsair CJ