Corsair Community

H110i install - couple queries

Riptide_NVN

I don't see a signature option in my UserCP.

Reason I asked about PWM or DC is that it is a 3 pin connector going onto a 4 pin header. Typically you would set DC for such a situation. This connector is not truly a fan however and the manual doesn't explain what to do here.

Regarding CL4 I can't get it to do anything with fan speeds. If I click one of the fans and set a minimum value it does not have any effect. Fan continues on around 1250rpm.

Also the value CL4 reports for the header I have the 3 pin connector in is 380rpm. I am assuming this is the pump speed. Seems low but temps report fine on the system.

EDIT: Is this correct that the software is unable to do anything but monitor values without purchasing the commander module?

AMD R7 1700

MSI Tomahawk B350

16GB G.SKILL 3200 CL14

Gigabyte 1080Ti

Samsung 960 EVO 1TB

Use http://forum.corsair.com/forums/profile.php?do=extra and include the Windows build #, don't post PC specs.

The manual is rather poor.

Click on the H110i fan

The cooler pump speed should be about 2000 RPM

It can control the H110i fans, but you need as CL mini to control case fans.

It would be easier to help if you attached the CL4 [Home] tab screen shot.

See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=853900 for how to attach a file/screen image to a post.

I will get some screenshots this evening. Sorry.

I went into the BIOS over lunch today. The CPU_FAN header is reporting around 2300rpm. Is set to PWM. If I have smart fan mode (MSI mobo) turned on for that header the reported rpm is the same vs. having it disabled. It seems to have no effect. I left it enabled for now and moved the set points up to keep it at 100%. Not sure if I should disable smart fan mode or just leave it alone.

I assume the RPM being reported here is pump speed and is NOT the rpm of the fans I have on the cooler? The fans are plugged into the y-adapter that comes off the pump. Per the instructions.

I went into the BIOS over lunch today. The CPU_FAN header is reporting around 2300rpm. Is set to PWM. If I have smart fan mode (MSI mobo) turned on for that header the reported rpm is the same vs. having it disabled. It seems to have no effect. I left it enabled for now and moved the set points up to keep it at 100%. Not sure if I should disable smart fan mode or just leave it alone.

Ah, It's a CoolIT H110i so it does not really matter as the CoolIT H110i get's it's power from a SATA connector. It does matter for Asetek coolers that don't use SATA power.

Yes, the 2300 is the pump speed. How does it compare to what CL4 reports for Quite and Performance modes?

Correct it is a H110i. So I can turn smart fan mode off on the CPU_FAN header and it shouldn't cause an issue?

FYI earlier in the thread I misled you. The "385 rpm" comment. That was not my CPU_FAN header reporting that. It was my PUMP_FAN header. I have a fan hooked up to that header and it was spun down. Sorry about the confusion there.

The AIO 3 pin connector has always been on CPU_FAN and it has always reported 2300ish rpm in the BIOS and in the CL4 software. I moved it over to performance mode in CL4 and it didn't seem to make any difference in rpm. I will post a screenshot tonight. I also am unable to see where in CL4 it is showing the rpm of the fans plugged into the AIO pump via the y adapter.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28290&d=1490223698

All is now much clearer ;):. The BOIS setup looks to be ideal.

CL4 is not reporting the H110i at all and should be :eek:. Is the USB cable connected? If not connect it. Check in Devices and Printers for a Corsair Integrated USB Bridge, there should be one. Check in Device Manager for any devices with yellow error triangles.

Note to take a screen shot press the Alt + PrtSc keys, paste the image into paint or similar and then save it as a .PNG file with a meaningful name.

Well it helps to have the bloody thing plugged in for goodness sake. :o:

I had the connector at the pump not pushed all the way in.

Photo attached. It is showing up now as expected I assume. One last question however. What is the temp being reported above the pump rpm? The temperature of the fluid inside the system?

cl4.thumb.jpg.c104224a8a8805d72fd3ed374ddee2f3.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=28301&d=1490237594

Yes, it's the H110i Coolant Temperature.

I advise you to click on the two H110i fans and set this as their control temperature and also change the mode to Custom and set appropriate custom points so the fans run slower.

1500rpm is spinning them too fast? I think their default is 1200.

Corsair ML140

I don't have any ML140 fans so don't know what speed to expect.

I assumed you had the default SP140s which spin at just over 500 RPM on my H110iGT.

OK. I can see how you create a custom profile and create set points for the fans. How do you set a control temperature?

The noise at 1400rpm doesn't really bother me much but I wouldn't mind slowing them down a bit to 1200rpm which is what the rest of my ML140 case fans are running at.

Thank you for the assistance.

Screenshot attached. I set both fans to be grouped with H110i Temp. Set a custom curve to keep the fans around 1200rpm until temps are pushed up to 50c. Then the fans ramp up.

Maybe I am misunderstanding how this is set. With the fans being grouped with the H110i the temp sensor they are reacting to is the pump coolant temperature. Would it not be better to have them grouped with the MB Temp #2 sensor which near as I can tell is the CPU temp?

corsair.thumb.jpg.1c33f10cb776f8598b7a9cdd392a329c.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=28307&d=1490294685

1. I set both fans to be grouped with H110i Temp.
  2. Set a custom curve to keep the fans around 1200rpm until temps are pushed up to 50c. Then the fans ramp up.
  3. Maybe I am misunderstanding how this is set. With the fans being grouped with the H110i the temp sensor they are reacting to is the pump coolant temperature.
  4. Would it not be better to have them grouped with the MB Temp #2 sensor which near as I can tell is the CPU temp?

1. Good
  2. I expect 50°C is too high, 35 to 40°C for maximum fan speed would be nearer the mark, but you will need to tune things for your system.
  3. Correct and there is no need to speed up the fans 'till the coolant warms up.
  4. No, as long as the coolant is cool enough to cool the CPU this is all that really matters. You could use the CPU temperature and if you did when there was a transient load on the CPU and it warmed up for a few seconds the fans would speed up for no good reason. In general they would be speeding up and down all the time.

Thanks for the help. I set a curve to that keeps the fans at 1200rpm until 30c then starts to ramp up. At 40c they are at 1500rpm. 50c they are at max speed.

Is it necessary to keep Corsair Link resident in memory to retain these changes? If I were to close it and tell it not to start with the operating system how does the cooler behave?

1. Is it necessary to keep Corsair Link resident in memory to retain these changes?
  2. If I were to close it and tell it not to start with the operating system how does the cooler behave?

1. No, CL4 should save the changes in the profile.
  2. When software is not controlling the cooler it will use it's default settings.
  3. AFAIK Corsair fail to specify what these are, please let me know is you find any information.
  4. When I asked Corsair support about what happens when CL4 stops controlling a cooler in ticket #6628090 on 28-May-2015 @ 14:38 they declined to tell me.

Ah. Ideally you could make changes via CL4, "flash" the cooler with the new settings, then even go so far as to remove the software from the system and have the cooler retain it's configuration.

If that isn't how it functions then no big deal. I like CL4 for the most part. It would be nice if it remembered the last place I had the window on my screen. Every time I reopen it after a reboot it wants to initially open to a spot on the desktop I don't like.

CL4 is rather irritating, poorly implemented and uses excessive system resources for what it does.

It would be nice if it remembered the last place I had the window on my screen. Every time I reopen it after a reboot it wants to initially open to a spot on the desktop I don't like.

It is very poor that it fails to and I have been reporting this regression since 27-Jan-2016 @ 10:39.

10. If I close down and restart CL4 the initial screen size is changed to the small default size when I expected it to be as I had set it which was the case with CL3. It also is on my default screen rather than where I last positioned it.

I haven't even watched the CPU cycles and other resources it consumes. If it is a bit of a poorly coded hog then that is a shame we are forced to run it in order to retain and keep the settings applied.

Hopefully they will make a change and we won't be forced to do that in a future release. Ideally I would like to be able to keep it out of memory unless I have a need to call it up.

Archived