Corsair Community

Lighting Node Pro melting 3pin Wire

jasoo

Hi all, old problem here. Now that I'm layed off I have time to fix this.

Built a pc a year and a half ago. Bought the 280x RGB case and the Corsair RGB strip. Connected the above to the lightning node and powered up the pc. The 3pin connector that plugs into the node melted in a puff of smoke. I turned my pc off and unplugged everything. Emailed Corsair and they were really cool and sent me a new Node and Commander Pro (thx Corsair!).

Just got started again today to get my fans lit up. Plugged the Commander Pro and node together with a new 3pin and same result. The 3pin smoked and melted.

Any ideas?

Can we see the cables and devices that you used?

The 280X doesn't come with at Commander Pro.

And you shouldn't be connected the Commander Pro with the Lighting Node Pro with the 3-pin connectors.

So ... I suspect that you may be using the wrong names for the various devices. Some pics might help us sort things.

Assuming that everything is connected to SATA power, it all looks right.

Having two of these in a row do this - that's really odd. That would tend to indicate something is awry with the installation. The Fan Hub cables don't have a connection to power so any reversal of this would likely be on the PSU side. I could see this happening, particularly, with the fan hub ... are the PSU cables from the PSU that you are using? You didn't get any "spare" cables from another unit? The fan hub is a dumb device so if the ground and 5V are switched on its PSU connection, that might cause exactly this problem. So you have a way to test the cables to make sure that they are correct? How about a multimeter that you can put on the fan hub connections?

So, after a few restarts my fans came alive! However, I couldnt control them from the iCue software and they werent doing the Rainbow Shift that is default.

So I restarted again to see if that would clear things up and now they wont come on at all. MF

Hi all, old problem here. Now that I'm layed off I have time to fix this.

Built a pc a year and a half ago. Bought the 280x RGB case and the Corsair RGB strip. Connected the above to the lightning node and powered up the pc. The 3pin connector that plugs into the node melted in a puff of smoke. I turned my pc off and unplugged everything. Emailed Corsair and they were really cool and sent me a new Node and Commander Pro (thx Corsair!).

Just got started again today to get my fans lit up. Plugged the Commander Pro and node together with a new 3pin and same result. The 3pin smoked and melted.

Any ideas?

I once fried a node pro using a molex to sata adapter to power it. Worked on other devices but the node pro went poof. Long shot that you are doing the same, but just in case...

I once fried a node pro using a molex to sata adapter to power it. Worked on other devices but the node pro went poof. Long shot that you are doing the same, but just in case...

I didnt do the same thing but I have a big feeling youre correct in saying that I probably fried the node. Think Im going to order a set of QL fans and try everything again.

Thanks for the input!!