The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-15-2020, 08:25 PM
PIRATA!'s Avatar
PIRATA! PIRATA! is offline
Registered User
PIRATA!'s PC Specs
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
POST ID # = 1046441
PIRATA! Reputation: 10
Default RMI's new sleeved Type4 cables with capacitors and related compatibility cross models

Hello there!

I am new in the Corsair world, and I have just bought 3 Corsair PSUs for my 3 systems. Here they are:

RM850i
HX750i
SF750

At the moment only the RM850i has arrived yet, and next week will receive the HX750i and the SF750.
I have read that the RMi series of Type 4 cables have capacitors in the sleeve for reducing ripple. Here is the official article from Corsair: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/blog/E...-Type-4-Cables
I have found out this after having already assembled the computer destined with the RM850i, so I haven't checked the cable sleeves for any capacitors as shown in the pictures of the link above, so I don't even know if I'm talking of something that I might not even have :D


In case I have those capacitors, I have a few questions:

1) on the RM850i I have noticed that only the 24pin ATX cable for the motherboard, the 4+4pin for CPU, and the PCIe cables are sleeved. Do they all have capacitors?

2) in a matter of percentage, how much those capacitors represent in a matter of a reduction of the ripple compared to the whole psu unit and its electrical technology? Are they just a "plus" to the whole psu tech, or do they really make an important difference?

3) why Corsair has adopted such solution?

4) will I find similar cables with capacitors also with the HX750i and with the SF750 that I'll get next week?



This last question is related to the fact that I have read that RM850i and SF750 models should support cross-cabling between the two models (if I haven't misunderstood): accordingly to the official Corsair table I see a "dot" on the same Type 4 rows of both models >> https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/psu-cable-compatibility
Only difference are the lengths (marked with different colored dots): the SF750 should have shorter cables.
Another hint comes from the Cablemods website that calls the RMi and SF cables the same way: https://cablemod.com/compatibility/

All his brings me to ask the most important question of all:

5) if my SF750 psu will NOT have the new sleeved Type 4 cables with capacitors, will I be able to use those form the RM850i model??

I'd rather need the best anti-ripple solution on my SFX pc rather than on the computer where the RM850i has been mounted.


Thank you all.
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 05-15-2020, 09:31 PM
jonnyguru jonnyguru is offline
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,972
POST ID # = 1046447
jonnyguru jonnyguru Reputation: 179
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATA! View Post
Hello there!

1) on the RM850i I have noticed that only the 24pin ATX cable for the motherboard, the 4+4pin for CPU, and the PCIe cables are sleeved. Do they all have capacitors?
Yes. RMx, RMi and HX all have caps in the cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATA! View Post
2) in a matter of percentage, how much those capacitors represent in a matter of a reduction of the ripple compared to the whole psu unit and its electrical technology? Are they just a "plus" to the whole psu tech, or do they really make an important difference?
Very small percentage. Just enough to beat everyone in reviews, but no real advantage in real world use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATA! View Post
3) why Corsair has adopted such solution?
To be the best in reviews when comparing the ripple of different models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATA! View Post
4) will I find similar cables with capacitors also with the HX750i and with the SF750 that I'll get next week?[/B]
No. They do not have caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATA! View Post
This last question is related to the fact that I have read that RM850i and SF750 models should support cross-cabling between the two models (if I haven't misunderstood): accordingly to the official Corsair table I see a "dot" on the same Type 4 rows of both models >> https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/psu-cable-compatibility
Only difference are the lengths (marked with different colored dots): the SF750 should have shorter cables.
Type 3 vs. Type 4 is not defined by caps in the cables. It's defined by the extra sense pins in the 24-pin cable. SF, RM, RMx, RMi, HX, AX and AXi are all type 4 24-pin cables regardless of caps. HXi is Type 3 because it lacks the sense wires. Not because it lacks caps in the cables.

For PCIe and EPS12V cables, there is no difference between type 3 and type 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATA! View Post
Another hint comes from the Cablemods website that calls the RMi and SF cables the same way: https://cablemod.com/compatibility/

All his brings me to ask the most important question of all:

5) if my SF750 psu will NOT have the new sleeved Type 4 cables with capacitors, will I be able to use those from the RM850i model??
Yes. Because SF and RMi are the same pinout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATA! View Post
I'd rather need the best anti-ripple solution on my SFX pc rather than on the computer where the RM850i has been mounted.
I don't understand what this means.
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 05-15-2020, 09:58 PM
PIRATA!'s Avatar
PIRATA! PIRATA! is offline
Registered User
PIRATA!'s PC Specs
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
POST ID # = 1046449
PIRATA! Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyguru View Post
Yes. Because SF and RMi are the same pinout.

....

I don't understand what this means.
Hello there!
I just quoted you in your forum regarding something about the SF750 model
First of all, thank you very much for your precise and exhaustive reply. I appreciate such attention.

Regarding my last question, the SFX rig will be my main pc for both gaming and work, so I'd like to have the best out of it in a a matter of electricity, and as I'll have both RM850i and SF750, and as you say that the SF750 will not have any Type 4 sleeved cables with capacitors but only regular Type 4 cables, I was thinking in using those with capacitors from the RM850i with the SF750, even if they are not to make any substantial real-life difference.

Is that possible? Even if they are good only for reviews, can I adopt them for regular dayly use on the SF750?

Will I decrease any lifespan of the SF750 if using cables with capacitors?

Speaking theoretically: will eventually this solution be value-enhancing, even if slightly, in a matter of reduction and stabilization of the ripple effects, compared with using the standard Type 4 cables with no capacitors?


Thank you very much!

Ps: Great work for all that you do.
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 05-15-2020, 10:55 PM
jonnyguru jonnyguru is offline
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,972
POST ID # = 1046453
jonnyguru jonnyguru Reputation: 179
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru
Default

If you order Type 4 cables from Corsair, they will have capacitors in the cables.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 05-15-2020, 11:01 PM
PIRATA!'s Avatar
PIRATA! PIRATA! is offline
Registered User
PIRATA!'s PC Specs
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
POST ID # = 1046454
PIRATA! Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyguru View Post
If you order Type 4 cables from Corsair, they will have capacitors in the cables.
Ah ok! But as I have those from the RM850i psu, can I use them?

And use the Type 4 with no capacitor on the RM850i? They are practically the same, right?
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 05-15-2020, 11:08 PM
jonnyguru jonnyguru is offline
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,972
POST ID # = 1046456
jonnyguru jonnyguru Reputation: 179
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATA! View Post
Ah ok! But as I have those from the RM850i psu, can I use them?

And use the Type 4 with no capacitor on the RM850i? They are practically the same, right?
The pinout is exactly the same.
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 05-15-2020, 11:22 PM
PIRATA!'s Avatar
PIRATA! PIRATA! is offline
Registered User
PIRATA!'s PC Specs
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
POST ID # = 1046462
PIRATA! Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyguru View Post
The pinout is exactly the same.
Beautiful! So the presence of the capacitor on cables used on a psu that is not natively delivered with such cables, is not of any harm for the psu it self.

Good to know!


If I'll like to opt for buying extra Tipe 4 cables with capacitors form Corisar as you suggested, I immagine that those cables are the TYPE 4 (GENERATION 4) kits like the Premium Individually Sleeved PSU Cables Starter Kit Type 4 Gen 4..

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.