Corsair Community

Random Video lag/stutter caused by iCUE

cYpherL0K

For a while I've been trying to narrow down an issue I've been seeing with random video stutter. Any type of graphic output would freeze, and then surge ahead like it was buffered to get caught up to where it should be.

It then dawned on me that this issue did not occur until I followed the prompt from the iCue software to update from 3.4.95 to current.

I was able to validate my findings by completely removing the iCue software, and any remnant profile/files and just let it run for my normal day to day usage, gaming and streaming. Not 1 stutter occurred.

I re-installed 3.4.95. For 3 days, not one issue with stutter, lag or video freeze.

I then did the "check for update" again, and re-applied 3.7.99.

Shortly after that - sure enough, I started seeing the issue again with video lag/stutter. So leaving the software installed this time, I exit/quit the iCue software, and then:

1) Bring up Windows Task Manager (Windows 10 fully updated)

2) go to the "Services" tab - stop the Corsair Service.

3) go back 1 tab to the "Details" tab and "End Task" on the "CorsairServiceDisplayApapter.exe"

And start using my PC like I normally would - the issues are gone again.

It's pretty clear at this point something in the iCue software is causing an issue. No matter what light profile I use for the LL Fans.

So anytime I plan on doing any kind of streaming or gaming, I have to do this so I don't lag out for 1 to 3 seconds.

It would be helpful to get a fix for this.

System Specs:

Intel 7700k

Evga Z270 FTW K

GSkill Trident Z 3000 (32gig)

2x EVGA 1080 FTW (with and without SLI)

PNY 240gb SSD

WD 1TB Blue SSD

WD 1.5TB Green HDD

Yep, it's completely broken, using Process Explorer you can easily see it deliver regular 20 to 50% jolts to the entire kernel, freezing the whole OS and obliterating the DPC count as it ****s the bed.

Whoever let that crap out the door needs to be named and shamed.

I wasted like 3 days troubleshooting this ****! It can take HOURS for a spike to show up!

WHY THE HELL ARE WE BEING PROMPTED TO UPDATE TO AN ILL-TESTED BETA

edit: I installed version 3.495, hoping it would fix it, but sadly not. I have screenshots of exactly the same kind of system responsiveness killing cpu spikes as the latest one. It's rare though. It's certainly possible to spend a whole evening without having a glitch - that was the case for me yesterday. But it's on its way.

At this point, tomorrow I'm rolling back to Link.

Edited by acYm

The issue - when we've seen it - typically goes back to the CPUIDSDK that's used to monitor system sensors. You can actually disable it by renaming the CPUIDSDK.dll to something else (like CPUIDSDK.dll.bak).

Since Link uses the exact same SDK (except an earlier version), rolling back to Link won't resolve anything.

• Confused 1

In that case it seems I might have some news for you guys, as here is the corsair.service.exe, even with this DLL blocked off and system monitoring shut down in iCue, delivering a pair of system-killing spikes in succession, not three hours into my tests.

HEffinM.png

the smaller ones are firefox and OBS and don't affect responsiveness. the two taller ones did kill the dpc, as process lasso's meter displayed. corsairservice can spike by 15 or 50% it doesn't matter, it has the same "my whole damn pc is buggered" effect.

this is completely unacceptable, on so many levels.

btw I've seen a pair of spikes like that, with pretty much the same spacing between them, several times now.

Edited by acYm

The issue - when we've seen it - typically goes back to the CPUIDSDK that's used to monitor system sensors. You can actually disable it by renaming the CPUIDSDK.dll to something else (like CPUIDSDK.dll.bak).

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but I had to post.

Sir, my hat of to you. The above worked for me!

I can confirm that I am now able to play my games and watch films with no spikes/lag or stuttering. Two days of testing and all is still good!

Again, thank you DevBiker!

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but I had to post.

Sir, my hat of to you. The above worked for me!

I can confirm that I am now able to play my games and watch films with no spikes/lag or stuttering. Two days of testing and all is still good!

Again, thank you DevBiker!

lucky you! I have this problem is still

In that case it seems I might have some news for you guys, as here is the corsair.service.exe, even with this DLL blocked off and system monitoring shut down in iCue, delivering a pair of system-killing spikes in succession, not three hours into my tests.

HEffinM.png

the smaller ones are firefox and OBS and don't affect responsiveness. the two taller ones did kill the dpc, as process lasso's meter displayed. corsairservice can spike by 15 or 50% it doesn't matter, it has the same "my whole damn pc is buggered" effect.

this is completely unacceptable, on so many levels.

btw I've seen a pair of spikes like that, with pretty much the same spacing between them, several times now.

I can't argue with you that it's unacceptable. I'm not seeing the same behavior so I have to wonder what's going on ... that may help us get to the root cause (rather than just looking at symptoms.

So ... you mention "3 hours into your test" ... what/how are you testing? Do you have any other monitoring tools running, particularly any monitoring tools that read the Corsair device's values?

Since Link uses the exact same SDK (except an earlier version), rolling back to Link won't resolve anything.

Checked by many - does not help! The problem is not CPUIDSDK

• 6 months later...

Do you have the iCue OSD enabled, by any chance? If so, try turning that off (untick "Enable" under Settings->OSD).

Another thing you could try is to disable Windows 10 Game Mode, Full Screen enhancements and the Game Bar.

I haven't had 'ANY' issues with this, since getting rid of that DLL.

On a side note - i haven't bothered to update the iCUE software either, so I can't say if it ever was fixed in a later version.

Everything does what I need, without the lag - so why bother upgrading and running into the wall again :P

I'll update the software when it absolutely needs it and deal with it then :laughing:

Any reason why one should rename only the 32 bit version of the CPUIDSKD.dll but not the 64 bit version cpuidsdk64.dll? Does this force the system to use the 64 bit version instead?

I'm having issues with iCUE.. Everything was going fine yesterday night. Then went to plug in my controller and got into a game of RL and about 1 minute in discord voice chat was all static couldnt hear my buddy that well on the other end. Was stuttering my Xbox one controller is plugged into the back of my keyboard just disconnected thru out the game, and was freezing up. My ping shot up to 1000 and didn't ease up and got Latency issue, Packet Loss, Disconnects, All at the same time! (Which has never happend before) So I went to my notification icon tray and a saw a RED triangle and it was iCUE.. It had something to do with the keyboard. checked for update, it was up to date. Tried force update (Nothing) Unplugged controller and the keyboard and mouse (Nothing) Im thinking it has to do with the current version of iCUE which gave me problems in the past but that turned out to be i was using the old version because of the new iCUE released.

• 3 months later...
so its July 2019. I just bought a Corsair K95 - then noticed shortly after that I started getting terrible suttering in Apex Legends. I have a 2080TI and 9900k, so I knew it wasn't my system. Plus, before installing iCUE i didn't have any issues. It seems that icue sure is terrible. I did the dll rename thing in this thread and it seems to have fixed the issue..but seriously, how about some QA? I might return the keyboard because it seems insane that this is an issue.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm experiencing this all of sudden also. Today it started lagging, lights would start, then stop their profiles etc. Never seen this until today. I stopped icue completely and no stutters. Loaded it up again and stutter. I restarted windows, same problem.

I'm experiencing this all of sudden also. Today it started lagging, lights would start, then stop their profiles etc. Never seen this until today. I stopped icue completely and no stutters. Loaded it up again and stutter. I restarted windows, same problem.

update, I decided to uninstall the only thing that I had installed since the last Icue update, AVG for free antivirus. I uninstalled it, and bam, icue works.

Do you have the iCue OSD enabled, by any chance? If so, try turning that off (untick "Enable" under Settings->OSD).

Another thing you could try is to disable Windows 10 Game Mode, Full Screen enhancements and the Game Bar.

those are disabled. Dont have Full Screen optimization on this version of Windows 10, at least I couldn't find it. The OSD in icue wasnt checked by default i assume. My games and everything have been running great for weeks. This started today after installing AVG.

I haven't had 'ANY' issues with this, since getting rid of that DLL.

On a side note - i haven't bothered to update the iCUE software either, so I can't say if it ever was fixed in a later version.

Everything does what I need, without the lag - so why bother upgrading and running into the wall again :P

I'll update the software when it absolutely needs it and deal with it then :laughing:

Well, the removing AVG fixed mine right away. Doesnt make any sense to me if they know of the problem, then fix it.