Corsair Community

Command pro SMOKING?

RNZZ

Hi guys,

Today I installed my commander pro, rbg fan hub with 5 sp120 pro fans and the lighting node pro with 4 led strips I also connected the Corsair spec 06 front case led strip to the lighting node pro hub

Hooked it all together. When I flicked the power on all was fine, turned my pc on a a puff of constant smoke came from first thermal sensor inside the commander pro! It freaked me out and I pulled the power on my pc straight away and took the commander pro out! Any one have and idea why this happened? All 3 hubs were connected to 1 3x sata cable on my hx750i with all original cables. Nothing else seems to be damaged at all, I assume the commander pro isn’t working anymore, I deffo will not be trying again. I’ve seen a few people have had this problem but does anyone know why, was it drawing to much power from one data cable? I don’t get why my psu didn’t cut out of so, I don’t want to get a replacement for it to happen again and set on fire

Regards

Ryan

Edited by RNZZ

The most common cause of this is if the sata power cable plugged into your PSU is not the original cable that came with it in the box .. if not that then crossed wires/short somewhere

I've got nearly the same setup .. 6x SP fans Commander pro/LED hub/Link4 works perfectly

But the Commander pro & the lighting node pro working together?

Yeah that’s what I’ve been reading on here across the forums. I’ve 100% used the Corsair HX cables, it was a brand new one out of the bag they came in. The only other power supply I’ve ever had wasn’t even semi modular one and that 5+ years ago

The smoke was coming from inside the commander pro and when I unplugged it from my computer and took the command pro out, near the temp 1 plug it was super red hot And stunk of burning but there was no visible damage so I can only assume it’s a faulty unit inside. All the connections were solid as these where triple checked.

Edited by RNZZ