The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-18-2011, 05:22 PM
ab9003 ab9003 is offline
Registered User
ab9003's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 18
POST ID # = 513830
ab9003 Reputation: 10
Default Got a few questions about my Corsair Force Series 3 120 GB

Edit: SSD is a Corsair Force 3 120GB model

I bought my SSD aftermarket as an upgrade to a CyberPowerPC purchase.

How do I find out what kind of drive this particular one is (recalled or fixed)? I don't have and presumably won't be able to get a hold of the original box.

I have a "Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3" and an Intel i7 2600k processor machine running Windows 7 64-bit, I attempted to install marvell drivers on my PC but I'm not sure whether they worked or not or if they're even meant to be installed on this motherboard?

If I am supposed to have the Marvell drivers a link to a guide (I've searched all over and really can't find one.) or if you could give me instructions on how to install and verify the installation of these drivers I'd be very appreciative.

I've been having freezing, BSOD's as well as general slowness in regular use (windows delaying, mouse moving choppy etc) during regular use. I installed Intel's Rapid Storage Technology drivers and apparently things seem to be running more smoothly, is it just a coincidence or does Intel RST have some sort of effect on SSD operations?

How can I tell if my drive is connected to a Sata 2 or Sata 3 port, my Motherboard most certainly supports it but I have no idea how to verify its running on 3gb/s or 6gb/s.

Any assistance with any of these issues would be wonderful.

Last edited by ab9003; 07-18-2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Cant update title so clarifying in post that its a force 3 drive.
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 07-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Wired's Avatar
Wired Wired is offline
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 32,193
POST ID # = 513834
Wired Reputation: 32
Default

Do you have the Performance 3 or Force 3?
__________________
No, I don't work for Corsair
...you need to flow like a river...
Forum Rules
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 07-18-2011, 05:30 PM
ab9003 ab9003 is offline
Registered User
ab9003's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 18
POST ID # = 513836
ab9003 Reputation: 10
Default

Force 3, going to see if I can update my title.
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 07-18-2011, 05:32 PM
TheOne687 TheOne687 is offline
Registered User
TheOne687's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 230
POST ID # = 513839
TheOne687 Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab9003 View Post
I bought my SSD aftermarket as an upgrade to a CyberPowerPC purchase.

How do I find out what kind of drive this particular one is (recalled or fixed)? I don't have and presumably won't be able to get a hold of the original box.
Look at the serial on the drive, if it starts with 1122 or lower then it is one of the defective drives, if 1123 or higher it's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab9003 View Post

I have a "Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3" and an Intel i7 2600k processor machine running Windows 7 64-bit, I attempted to install marvell drivers on my PC but I'm not sure whether they worked or not or if they're even meant to be installed on this motherboard?

If I am supposed to have the Marvell drivers a link to a guide (I've searched all over and really can't find one.) or if you could give me instructions on how to install and verify the installation of these drivers I'd be very appreciative.

I've been having freezing, BSOD's as well as general slowness in regular use (windows delaying, mouse moving choppy etc) during regular use. I installed Intel's Rapid Storage Technology drivers and apparently things seem to be running more smoothly, is it just a coincidence or does Intel RST have some sort of effect on SSD operations?
Based on the model number you provided your board doesn't use a Marvell controller, but instead uses 2 Intel SATAIII ports (white).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab9003 View Post
How can I tell if my drive is connected to a Sata 2 or Sata 3 port, my Motherboard most certainly supports it but I have no idea how to verify its running on 3gb/s or 6gb/s.

Any assistance with any of these issues would be wonderful.
The white ports on your motherboard are the Intel SATAIII ports.

GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 07-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Yellowbeard's Avatar
Yellowbeard Yellowbeard is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Atlanta,GA, USA.
Posts: 11,527
POST ID # = 513841
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab9003 View Post
Force 3, going to see if I can update my title.
Title fixed.
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 07-18-2011, 05:35 PM
ab9003 ab9003 is offline
Registered User
ab9003's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 18
POST ID # = 513842
ab9003 Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne687 View Post
Look at the serial on the drive, if it starts with 1122 or lower then it is one of the defective drives, if 1123 or higher it's fine.



Based on the model number you provided your board doesn't use a Marvell controller, but instead uses 2 Intel SATAIII ports (white).



The white ports on your motherboard are the Intel SATAIII ports.

GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
How do I check the serial on my drive?

Do I need to open up my machine to see which ones the SSD's are plugged into (whether they're white or not?)
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 07-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Yellowbeard's Avatar
Yellowbeard Yellowbeard is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Atlanta,GA, USA.
Posts: 11,527
POST ID # = 513843
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab9003 View Post
How do I check the serial on my drive?
Read the label on the SSD. The number you need is printed on the label.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 07-18-2011, 05:36 PM
ab9003 ab9003 is offline
Registered User
ab9003's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 18
POST ID # = 513844
ab9003 Reputation: 10
Default

Okay how do I get to the label though?
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 07-18-2011, 05:48 PM
TheOne687 TheOne687 is offline
Registered User
TheOne687's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 230
POST ID # = 513846
TheOne687 Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab9003 View Post
Okay how do I get to the label though?
You have to look at the drive itself.

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 07-18-2011, 06:02 PM
ab9003 ab9003 is offline
Registered User
ab9003's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 18
POST ID # = 513849
ab9003 Reputation: 10
Default

Thats lovely, but it doesn't answer my question.

I tried opening my computer (via the easy to remove side panel) I saw no (read: zero) white sata ports and on top is my WD 750GB hard drive.

I am a complete and total ditz when it comes to hardware (which is why I bought a preinstalled machine) so I have absolutely no clue how to find this SSD or how to determine whether its in a Sata III port or not.

I have broken several machines in the past in my attempts to open up them further.

Is there any software determination that can be made (Speccy gives an incredibly specific serial number that should atleast be possible to date). Or if not can I please get detailed instructions on how to see this SSD? My full PC specs are in my profile but let me see if I can pull up the case as well:

http://www.gamersdailynews.com/userf...2-BK-9_500.jpg

Apevia Explorer 2
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 07-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Yellowbeard's Avatar
Yellowbeard Yellowbeard is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Atlanta,GA, USA.
Posts: 11,527
POST ID # = 513852
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46
Default

You should probably get a qualified technician to assist you or take it back to the place from which you bought it. We are happy to help as much as possible but if you can't do the work, we're very limited on what we can do.

You should be able to check in the BIOS and see what ports each drive is connected to. Compare that information with the diagram in your MOBO manual.
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 07-18-2011, 06:18 PM
ab9003 ab9003 is offline
Registered User
ab9003's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 18
POST ID # = 513853
ab9003 Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
You should probably get a qualified technician to assist you or take it back to the place from which you bought it. We are happy to help as much as possible but if you can't do the work, we're very limited on what we can do.

You should be able to check in the BIOS and see what ports each drive is connected to. Compare that information with the diagram in your MOBO manual.
Get a qualified technician to assist me with what? I'm not quite sure what it is you're asking me to do and nobody seems to be able the simple question of how do I see the serial number on the drive.

I looked through every option in the bios and can't seem to find any further information about the ports?
Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 07-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Wired's Avatar
Wired Wired is offline
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 32,193
POST ID # = 513855
Wired Reputation: 32
Default

He means that the serial number in question is ONLY on the physical label. If you are unable to find the SSD in the computer then a technician should be able to help you find it.
__________________
No, I don't work for Corsair
...you need to flow like a river...
Forum Rules
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 07-18-2011, 06:40 PM
ab9003 ab9003 is offline
Registered User
ab9003's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 18
POST ID # = 513863
ab9003 Reputation: 10
Default

I can see the drive now. Where exactly on the drive is the # located?
Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 07-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Yellowbeard's Avatar
Yellowbeard Yellowbeard is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Atlanta,GA, USA.
Posts: 11,527
POST ID # = 513866
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab9003 View Post
Get a qualified technician to assist me with what? I'm not quite sure what it is you're asking me to do and nobody seems to be able the simple question of how do I see the serial number on the drive.
There must be some misunderstanding here. I am trying to be as clear as possible and you have also been given a picture.

You need to pick up your SSD and look at it. Read the serial number at the bottom of the label. I am at a loss if that is not clear enough. Am I missing something here?
Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.