Corsair Community

What memory?

Pocah

Can anyone tell me what memory I need for an 8700K? Stock voltages.

I am assuming that the 8700 stock setting is 1.2V so I don't really want 1.35V memory.

I looked on a number of sites but the technical info seems to be all over the place.

CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 Seems to be the only 3200 that works at 1.2V.

CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Seems to be 1.35V

But honestly it's really hard to tell because information is so patchy about this memory. Even the Corsair site seems to contradict itself on voltages. One seller says the second set is 1.35V but another says it's 1.2V, in which case there is no difference between the two sets of RAM

*confused*

Can anyone clarify this please?#

Perhaps I am even asking the wrong question.

The 8700K states that the memory voltage should be 1.2V but I know that the motherboard stipulates that it's compatible with 1.2V and 1.35V. Isn't running the CPU at higher than 1.2V classed as "overclocking"?

1) JEDEC specification for DDR4 is 1.2V and that is what Intel uses in its base spec.

2) Intel Extreme Memory Profiles are allowed to use up to 1.5V for DDR4. Any Corsair kit with specs different from the JEDES spec uses an extended profile (XMP) for that.

3) XMP voltage for the CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 is 1.35V.

4) You are overclocking the processors integrated memory controller, when you use memory faster than DDR4-2666 for a i7-8700K. However even the worst 8700K will have no issues to hit DDR4-3200, at least on a decent board.

You might want to check: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html

Archived