Corsair Community

What to use to control fan speeds?

IcEWoLF

I got 4 ML 140MM fans this week and 2 ML 120 MM fans, I've used the mobo to control the fan speeds, used the Q-Fan in bios to optimize them, however I hear them go up and down often depending on the apps I run, and during startup when windows goes on the fans start going fast and then slow down.

Anything I can do to keep the PWM fans speeds consistent and not change speeds as often?

You should add your PC specs to your profile as without knowing the motherboard it's impossible to answer.

Mobo: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO VIII

GPU: ASUS 1080 GTX ROG STRIX OC / EVGA 1080 GTX FTW

SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB

SSD2: OCZ 120GB

SSD3: Crucial M4

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz

CPU: i5 6600k

CPU COOLER: H100i V2 with 2 Corsair 120mm ML120 fans

CASE FANS: ML140 x4

PSU: Corsair Hxi1000 Platinum

Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144hz 1080p

What the hell man..

Q. I need help

A. I need your specs

Q. Here they are

A. No add them to your profile

Q. Okay

A. Now **** off...

To answer the original poster, the only way to prevent the annoyingly constant speedup/down is to use the Asus AI-Suite software with the "Fan Xpert 3" module installed and let it tune the fans then it will set a "spin up" and "spin down" buffer so it's not being annoying since the Corsair Link software isn't working properly with Windows any longer.

578456840_corsairisshit.jpg.17a2da4e1f9160d40f94119b67ca0037.jpg

What the hell man..

Q. I need help

A. I need your specs

Q. Here they are

A. No add them to your profile

Q. Okay

A. Now **** off....

1. I have helped many users on many occasions.
  2. Far too often I need to ask for PC specs.
  3. I specified add your PC specs to your profile and this was not done.
  4. I assumed this was because he did not know how to do this.
  5. Quite often once I have asked for PC specs and they have been added to the profile others have been able to help.
  6. Once I has the information I did not know the answer and felt an ASUS forum would have more members who could help.
  7. Had I not asked for the PC specs you would how have been able to help.
  8. When recommending AI Suite you should mention that CL4 should not be used at the same time, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=651889
  9. If you feel a post in inappropriate you should report it to the moderators rather than act as a moderator.

Done updated the profile page.

I just want the fan speeds to be consistent, even during idle I hear fans going up and down using the ASUS Q-Fan control which is set in BIOS.

Your best bet is to get an Aquaero, and drive your fans off the loop-ambient delta, instead of directly from your CPU temperatures, which fluctuate wildly with CPU usage. That way your fans will ramp up and down slowly (as slowly or aggressively as you specify in your curve) instead of following your CPU's wild temperature swings. If you don't want to invest in an Aquaero (cost and learning curve), just plug a temperature sensor into your mobo to read loop temperature (say, from a radiator water tank) and use that temperature to drive your fans.

Unfortunately there is a problem with the spin up/down delays on some Asus boards. It is not platform specific and appears on Z97, X99, and and Z170. It is not OS specific. It does not affect all users and I was unable to isolate the issue on a fresh drive. It t is not the AI Suite package version, as the current one for me worked for 9 months before developing this problem. It is directly tied to CPU temp regulation and affects all headers.

If you are not going to use Link and pump block as intended, you try regulating by VRM temp, but I afraid that may not be an option on Z170.

Archived