Corsair Community

Is this amount of LED bleeding normal?

IBNobody

Is that amount of bleeding normal for the K95 RGB, or did I get a defective unit?

http://i.imgur.com/p2i4i2n.jpg

EDIT: The bleeding I'm referring to is the red and green SMT LED elements bleeding through the opening of the Cherry MX RGB switches. It reminds me of the spotlights on the 20th Century Fox logo (in red % green).

1599286324_K95Bleeding.jpg.ce2b1ad8ea72e14fbb4a7d278229d28f.jpg

The light used to scatter like that on a few of my keys on both my K95s. Your picture looks more extreme than the "bleeding" I've seen on other keyboards. (speaking from seeing a total of five K95s between me and my friends, they all have this "bleeding" effect though I never really considered it too bad)

My keyboard cover mod might be able to fix that--see what happens if you put paper strips between the switches. I think the light is reflecting off the aluminum and not blending.

The light used to scatter like that on a few of my keys on both my K95s. Your picture looks more extreme than the "bleeding" I've seen on other keyboards. (speaking from seeing a total of five K95s between me and my friends, they all have this "bleeding" effect though I never really considered it too bad)

My keyboard cover mod might be able to fix that--see what happens if you put paper strips between the switches. I think the light is reflecting off the aluminum and not blending.

It is not reflecting off the aluminum. What is happening is that there is a gap in the Cherry MX RGB case where the switch mounts to the aluminum panel. (I'm not sure I like this to begin with. Wouldn't crud get into my switches?) At the right angle, you can see the red and green LED elements. There is only air between your eye and the SMT LED.

I did some 2 AM trials with Scotch tape. The LEDs just need a smidgen of diffusion to block the red/green spotlighting. I'd hate to do it, but maybe adding a small bit of tape in front of the gap would correct it. (But... It would be a keyboard crud magnet. :eek:)

An alternative would be to take your mod and add a flap of Scotch tape to the top switch cutout. (I'd fold the tape over on itself to prevent the exposure of the adhesive backing.) When your mod is installed, the flap would rest against the top of the switch, blocking the spotlights.

Also, I'm curious to see if the Max Keyboard translucent keycaps make a difference. Part of the problem may be that the spotlights are being shown on the dark black keycap. At full arms length, the spotlighting goes away.

It is not reflecting off the aluminum. What is happening is that there is a gap in the Cherry MX RGB case where the switch mounts to the aluminum panel. (I'm not sure I like this to begin with. Wouldn't crud get into my switches?) At the right angle, you can see the red and green LED elements. There is only air between your eye and the SMT LED.

I did some 2 AM trials with Scotch tape. The LEDs just need a smidgen of diffusion to block the red/green spotlighting. I'd hate to do it, but maybe adding a small bit of tape in front of the gap would correct it. (But... It would be a keyboard crud magnet. :eek:)

An alternative would be to take your mod and add a flap of Scotch tape to the top switch cutout. (I'd fold the tape over on itself to prevent the exposure of the adhesive backing.) When your mod is installed, the flap would rest against the top of the switch, blocking the spotlights.

Also, I'm curious to see if the Max Keyboard translucent keycaps make a difference. Part of the problem may be that the spotlights are being shown on the dark black keycap. At full arms length, the spotlighting goes away.

Those keycaps look great on this keyboard--I just installed my own set last night, lol.

The K95 uses plate-mounted switches which is not uncommon. As long as you maintain your keyboard, the switches should stay clean (after all, the dust is falling on the plate, not on the top of the switches)

I'm curious to see anyone from Corsair to comment. Is this "bleeding" a design flaw/defect?

I'd like to hear from Corsair too. I've got a few more days left before I can't return and exchange mine with the store.

Jkraghify and Reapexx,

After thinking about it (and looking at Reapexx's sig pic), I don't think I'd see the problem with the Max keycaps and the entire keyboard lit.

Would either of you mind looking at your RGB + Max Keycap setup tonight? Set up your backlighting so that the rows alternate white and black (off), and lean over it a little. Let me know if you see the flashlighting effect.

I'd like to hear from Corsair too. I've got a few more days left before I can't return and exchange mine with the store.

Jkraghify and Reapexx,

After thinking about it (and looking at Reapexx's sig pic), I don't think I'd see the problem with the Max keycaps and the entire keyboard lit.

Would either of you mind looking at your RGB + Max Keycap setup tonight? Set up your backlighting so that the rows alternate white and black (off), and lean over it a little. Let me know if you see the flashlighting effect.

I don't have my keyboard in possession at the moment, but I should have it back Monday and let you know my observations.

Also, my keycap set isn't from Max Keyboard, it's from Signature Plastics and doesn't use the dark clear plastic the Max ones use ;):

I don't have my keyboard in possession at the moment, but I should have it back Monday and let you know my observations.

Also, my keycap set isn't from Max Keyboard, it's from Signature Plastics and doesn't use the dark clear plastic the Max ones use ;):

Ahh, you have the pretty clear ones. I should have caught that because you still have the stock spacebar. (Any reason why you didn't grab their 6.5 clear specialty spacebar?)

Nice. Let me know if you see the problems. I can wait until Monday.

This is normal. What you're seeing is a result of how the light shines through the Cherry MX RGB lens unlike regular MX switches that have the LED mounted on top of the switch.

Well, it's good to know that it's normal, but I can't say that I like it. Fortunately, I don't feel like I'm stuck with it.

Here's another view. This is looking down into the keyboard. See the bright red/yellow/green points? That's the SMT diode substrate shining through the gap in the Cherry MX RGB switch. There's no diffuser between the camera and the LED.

http://i.imgur.com/IJMNKsM.png?1

I was able to reduce the effect significantly with a small piece of semi-opaque cellophane tape over the gap. (The yellow arrow indicates the gap.)

http://i.imgur.com/hydj2iF.png

You can see the effect it had: The app key has a distinct spotlight but the Ctrl key does not.

http://i.imgur.com/Ak1TuKQ.png

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update: The problem WAS the keyboard.

I had to return the Cherry MX Red K95 RGB for the Cherry MX Brown variant. The new keyboard has some spotlighting, but it was nowhere near as bad as the old one. It must have been poor alignment of the through-hole Cherry switches that caused the issue.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Recently purchased my first Corsair - K65 RGB with MX Speed

I too am disappointed with the amount of bleed from the individual LEDs - mostly Red and Green - thru the small gaps at the top end of the switch. It makes the white look horrible as there is so much Red and Green bleed onto the front edge of the keycap directly above....

1. Is there any determination from Corsair on what constitutes a fault in this regard? ie I'm thinking similar to the 'dead pixel' policy with screens/TV. It may be a fact of the Cherry MX RGB switch, but would a photo showing excessive bleed result in RMA and replacement?

2. Any mods that would work?

I think the idea of thin tape slapped here and there will eventually deteriorate and even leave residue on the switch / baseplate.... (Not to mention the likelihood of seeing it)

I'm considering the white paper cutout

K95 RGB White Base Plate Cover Mod - http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=140978&page=11

Since I have access to an A3 printer, I might try using 1 piece of paper...

Cheers

Archived