The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > General HoH Stuff > General Questions

Old 06-29-2009, 11:14 AM
mike_everich's PC Specs

POST ID # = 406224
mike_everich Reputation: 10
Default New Build - TR3X6G1600C8D voltage questions

Hi, I'm fairly new to the whole new Core i7 scene, but I did quite a bit of research and made a large investment.

So far, I like what I'm seeing performance wise, but I do have some voltage questions in relation the my memory:

First off, I have the Tri-channel TR3X6G1600C8D 3x2GB DDR 3 memory. After I finished with my build, I had a successful POST and the only couple of things I noticed that looked incorrect in the BIOS was the voltage on my memory and the speed.

The voltage was showing up in PC Health Status as 1.55 and in Voltage controls it was listed as 1.50.

The speed was set to 1066MHz, but from what I've been reading and hearing, since all defaults usually are set to Auto, this is quite common.

What is the best method for me to choose here? I'm not going to overclock anything at all currently. But, with the TR3X6G1600C8D sticks, by setting them to the XMP profile in the BIOS and having them set to 1600Mhz, won't that technically be considered an overclock or because inn the specifications it states they run at 1600?

Also, for my voltage, what is the correct way of setting this correctly? I've heard mixed things, manually set it or use the XMP profile and make minor adjustments?

I greatly appreciate any suggestions on this and thanks for helping me.

Mike
Old 06-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 406277
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

The voltage was showing up in PC Health Status as 1.55 and in Voltage controls it was listed as 1.50.
A: I would talk to the MB Maker but that is not uncommon for them to add a bit more voltage over default once the setting is set manually it should be as set.

The speed was set to 1066MHz, but from what I've been reading and hearing, since all defaults usually are set to Auto, this is quite common.
A: Yes the SPD has to be set to something the MB can post at with default voltage (1.5 Volts) The tested settings would need to be manually set. So that is normal.
What is the best method for me to choose here? I'm not going to overclock anything at all currently. But, with the TR3X6G1600C8D sticks, by setting them to the XMP profile in the BIOS and having them set to 1600Mhz, won't that technically be considered an overclock or because inn the specifications it states they run at 1600?
A: Yes and Yes using the XMP setting will over clock your system automatically to the tested settings of the modules.

Also, for my voltage, what is the correct way of setting this correctly? I've heard mixed things, manually set it or use the XMP profile and make minor adjustments?
A: Using the XMP Profile should set the Voltage as well but if not just set it manually.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:26 PM
mike_everich's PC Specs

POST ID # = 406308
mike_everich Reputation: 10
Default Thank you

Thanks for the information RAM Guy.

I just thought that since the Corsair stated the modules run at 1600MHz, that it wouldn't mean they would be overclocked because 1600 is the default speed.

I hope it won't make a big difference, but I see what you mean about the voltage now.

Thanks again, take care.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 406373
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

All of the IC's that are on the market at this time will not run at DDR1600 at 1.5 Volts and as such will need to be set to something that the MB can post at with default voltage of 1.5 Volts IE DDR1066 or DDR1333.

Tags
i7, tr3x6g1600c8d